My First Pedalboard!

I mean I really have no comparison to the mxr, never heard it, but I can tell you the spectrum is amazeballs. Seems to me the worst thing that can happen is you would just have to get rid of it and get the mxr again :joy:

3 Likes

Ah so that’s what it’s doing, I only played with it a couple seconds. Gonna spend some time today fooling around with everything.

3 Likes

Yeah, the time to return it has passed. Also, I am not unhappy with it in any way. As a matter of fact, I really like it. I am just fascinated with the SA 1 Series pedals.
Kind of like TonePrint. When I was first learning about it, I was researching the TC E BH Amp heads, and then looking into the BG Combo’s. If money was not an object, I would have a BG250 208 (2 x 8") or BG250 210 (2x10").
There is a BG250 112 for sale on Offer Up. I have played thru it with my Ray 4, and I really liked it, but the TonePrint was acting strange. The seller has not used the Amp much, it was in his garage, and he couldn’t answer my questions about it, so I could not say for sure if it was working 100% or not.
I did get some tone prints working, but others seemed to be not working at all. Also, since I first started looking at those, I have built a pedal board, and may not use toneprints in the amp so much, so it is not as. desired of a feature.
2 things. 1 - since I was fascinated by tone print, I have made sure to get some TonePring pedals. This is the point I am making about the SA 1 series. I am sure I will get one at some point to fill this void, like I have with TonePrints.
2 - I still like the TC E BH Combo amps. I played thru the BG250 112 that was for sale, with MY Ray4, and I loved it. It sounded great, I cranked it up and it was clean and rich and gave a fat sound that worked well with my Ray 4.
So, I would still like one of the Amps for my Practice Plus amp. something I can use while sitting is a small space and turn up a little and practice / jam out. Problem with THIS PARTICULAR BGf250 112 (aside from TonePrints possibly being a little quirky). is the same thing that makes my current Practice PLUS amp not meet my desire. The 15" speaker in my SWR Workingman combo and the 12" speaker in that TC E are just too big to sound good in small room. they get too percussive, and reverberate in a bad way if I turn them up any.
I really want something with 10" speakers, or 8".
10" speakers wolulld be more versatile to take to play with others, and even perform if I ever did in a small tight venue. 8" would make it more of a Practice amp. which is fine, I still have my SWR Workingman 15 with SWR Workingman 410 (4 x 10) add on cab for anything bigger then practice I could need in the future.

Anyway, back to Source Audio. I am fascinated by their pedals, especially the 1 Series. I had a SoundBlox 2 that had something I really did not like, but it was only on a couple SoundBlox 2 pedals. There is a Source Audio SoundBlox 1 Phaser I am looking at, and this might be one way to satisfy my Source Audio needs, but I am sure I will still want a 1 series at some time.
And
it might come down to finding the right used pedal, be it the AfterShock, KingMaker, LA Lady, or this Envelope Filter, or a Chorus Pedal, etc… If I see one for under $100 pop up (I have from time to time) and it is one I can use, that might be the one I end up with.
Side note, with my addition of the Alpha Omega Ultra, I seriously doubt that I will be picking up one of the Drive pedals listed above.

1 Like

fwiw I had bad luck with the BH250 I bought - defective on arrival. I wouldn’t be surprised if the guy’s BH with the weird toneprint issue is in fact busted.

2 Likes

I am well aware of the problem you had, but thanks for the reminder.
I like the amp, but I still don’t own one.

1 Like

You’d have to check but I highly doubt if all toneprints work on that amp, I mean if it did you would be getting a built in plethora x5 with it. Woops meant to reply to tdub

3 Likes

Yeah, I was reading up on it, and it looks like it is meant to use with your own Drive, which is fine, they label it BYOD.
I am curious why, however since they have mixed the drive and compression in the Spectra Drive, why they didn’t just do the same thins here.
also, strangely, the SpectraDrive is the ONLY drive in TC Electronics Tonepring line??? I don’t think they have an OD in any of their lines that has been, how would I put it, RAVED about, especially not for Bassists. I mean they have the MOJO and a couple others, but I have never really heard somebody saying, get this TC Electronics OD pedal…
Course, I could be missing something.
I actually like the SpectraDrive, but not more then what I have ended up with for compression and OD and DI

4 Likes

This is what my pedalboard looked like with the Zoom B3n and Zoom Expression pedal on it.

I just removed those two items, and look how much space I have

Time to go shopping…

7 Likes

i have a feeling they are really at heart a digital company, and almost all good OD/disto/fuzz pedals are analog.

3 Likes

yeah, especially with the pedal on it, the zoom is a big fatass. i traded in my original zoom with pedal for one without it, seeing as how i never used it and i needed more room. could never get the foot coordination right.

3 Likes

Well, I just left my favorite music store, where my bass guy once again took splendid care of me.
I walked in with my Zoom B3n and Zoom expression pedal, and walked out with these…

Ibanez TS9B tube screamer and DynaComp compressor.
I just had to fork out $20 to make it work.

5 Likes

Nice choices :+1:

4 Likes

Nice, I assume you did get the Bass Dyna Comp?

I think you are going to be happier in the long run. The sound you create with the pedals you buy with be used quite a bit. Even if you get modulation pedals, Chorus , Delay and stuff, and only use them 20%, At least you will be USING them, unlike the 95% of the B3n that will never be used.

2 Likes

Ummmm I don’t know. He recommended it and he knows I play bass.
I didn’t realize there’s a bass specific compressor.

3 Likes

There is, and it should say it right on the pedal.
Although the Dyna Comp has been used on bass, and is one of the guitar compressors that people do use on bass, I would highly recommend getting the bass one, especially if you plan to use it on the stand up

4 Likes
3 Likes

MXR also makes an This Compressor for Bass. IMHO, it is a better pedal, but I believe it cost $50 more.

It was designed for bass, where the Dyna Comp was popular so they tweaked it for bass, that is the best way to explain the difference, but if ou read the features you will understand.

3 Likes

The normal DynaComp will be just fine.

Probably 75% of compressors out there are straight up clones of the original DynaComp.

5 Likes

It’s funny, but Fred (my bass guy at the music store) said something similar to that as I was drooling over another DynaComp with all kinds of knobs on it. I think it may have been the one that @T_dub referred to.
Fred said something like I don’t need to spend an arm and a leg for a bunch of bells and whistles.

5 Likes

Yeah, for your needs that DynaComp should be just fine, and many many other compressors on the market are just simple mods of that circuit. A good rule of thumb is if a compressor has either two or three knobs, it might just be a DynaComp clone.

It becomes really apparent when you read the Ovnilabs reviews just how much that pedal has been cloned. You made a good choice.

4 Likes