My First Pedalboard!

true, this is the only rule :slight_smile: but the “modulation after gain” is anyway a good point to start with.

About the compressor, I like it at the beginning of the signal path, just after the tuner (which is not really an effect).

4 Likes

lots of testing today. I tried the “modular preamp” idea (compressor > preamp > graphic EQ) plugged into the Ampeg at a reasonnably high volume, it sounds fine but the graphic EQ is not the best idea. the problem is that each band has a very large amplitude (+/- 15 dB), so it’s hard to fine-tune the tone shaping I have in mind. a +/- 6 dB or even +/- 3 dB would be more useable.

2 Likes

Niccceee, Temple boards with Cioks power, that’s how I roll. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

That’s a weird one to me because I like that variation in an eq, the more cut/boost available, especially in the midrange, the more I can pinpoint my “tone”. I think I get that from all the past P.A. work.

1 Like

Those are some cool looking effects boards! For me I’m just getting started with the beginner course, but I did pickup a couple of low cost pedals from Donner. First is a Blues Drive which has hot and warm settings - I like it hot! Then is a Giant Metal which definitely adds more “Buzz” to the sound that I really love. Then is the obligatory tuner at the end of the chain.

The tone knob on my short scale Epiphone EB-0 does virtually nothing, so its fun to have some interesting external options for tone and effects. I don’t have a pedal board, I just put them on top of my amp for practice.
JeffsAmpWithPedals

5 Likes

yeah I understand that. the thing is, in my case, the graphic EQ is after another EQ (the one on the preamp) so this graphic EQ is more for subtle corrections than for a drastic tone shaping.

The problem I have is, having a +/-15 dB amplitude on a few centimeters slider makes it very difficult to be subtle and precise !

3 Likes

Pretty much the case with my Yammy 174EW @JeffDever… Often thought about moving toward the pedals myself but picked up a Yammy 304 that has a lot more variation with the controls and the built in EQ. Used several pedals on my '52 Tele, but that’s a way different beast than my bass’s…

Keep on Thumpin’!!
Lanny

4 Likes

Ok I should probably do something about all these cables.

6 Likes

these days I’m recording, and at this time my whole house looks like your picture, @howard.

5 Likes

I’m running home to tell my mum. You said “52 Tele…” Oh , I just , orgasmed…

3 Likes

I have the same Bass, You might need to replace the tone knob (v. easy.) cos they’re usually pretty good. Mine distinctly so. Also the tuner will respond way better if it’s first in the queue. (Before all the clipping of the drives.) That rig must sound wicked!

2 Likes

Thanks @muff for the advice Muff, I’ll look for a replacement tone knob.

1 Like

I should of written, check it first! Don’t just take my word for it! Try this with clean amp setting. Hit the string near the bridge whilst tone knob is off. Same again whilst tone knob on. The difference should/will be marked.

1 Like

yeah on a passive bass, the tone pot itself is very critical. a quality log pot is needed. CTS pots are good. the capacitor does not need to be a high-quality one, there is no audible difference in this type of circuitry (very low voltage) as long as the value is correct (something around 50nF usualy).

4 Likes

So one thing I have been wondering recently. Unless it is literally your only pedal, why would you ever want a compressor on your preamp/DI?

Generally the DI needs to go last in your chain but you want the compressor first (or close to it), unless I am missing something.

The same is kind of true of distortion. Drive belongs on the preamp, but sometimes you want modulations before distortion and sometimes after.

I’m thinking of pedals like the Battalion and the SpectraDrive here. They are awesome but with multiple pedals I wonder about having the compressor that late in the chain.

I am guessing that the idea is that those are your all in one pedal. Which is nice in theory but in practice I would want a lot more.

Maybe I am just spoiled by the Zoom :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m interrested by the Battalion and I might get one for Christmas, not very sure for now. I think the integrated compressor is interesting for one purpose : if you want to go somewhere with your bass in the gig bag and a very minimal setup in the front pocket of the bag, this kind of preamp seems very cool. you have more or less everything in one box.

I can imagine myself go to a rehersal like this (and in fact I did hundreds of times in the past :grin: with the BDI21).

when the preamp is on a pedalboard, or when it is plugged in a more complete setup for recording, there is always the possibility to use another compressor, for more flexibility and settings options.

2 Likes

Yeah I kind of want one too, I like its overdrive sound. I am thinking about picking one up and seeing if I like it or the SCR-DI more, and keeping one.

3 Likes

So, a somewhat related question (at least for me), and I can’t imagine anyone better to ask than you guys: are any of these pedals (especially multi-pedalboards like the Zoom or Boss variety) introducing a lot of noise?? Hum, buzz, white noise etc?

Maybe they all do? Maybe it’s normal, a by-product of modeling!? Maybe it’s unavoidable? Is it only “true” for older models?

Context: I was test-driving (just for fun, really) an older (late 90s!?) Korg AX15000G multi-effects board (it is really for guitar) and, man, it was noisy… My (2019) Rumble Studio 40 alone - almost nothing in terms of noise!

3 Likes

Everything in the chain has potential to add noise. I have not noticed significant noise from the bypass in my B3n. However, some of the effects are noisy, particularly the drives.

Some types of analog pedals are noiser that others as well (flangers and phasers come to mind.)

4 Likes

and don’t forget that your Rumble Studio 40 has a modeling preamp, in the same box of a power amp and a speaker, but still a modeling preamp :slight_smile:

3 Likes