My First Pedalboard!

Soooooo… that means the preamp would amplify the noise from the multi-effects board, or…!?! Sorry, I am not quite following :thinking:

2 Likes

Yeah I’m keen to hear more on this as I’m in the process of assembling one.
I don’t want much - just compressor, reverb and/or delay, plus a tone thingy.
I have a boss DSD-2 Digital Delay from my guitar days, plus I have a cheapo Behringer BD121 Bass Driver, so I only really need the compressor and I’ll be good to go.
This is where I am so far.

I have other effects as well - including an octave pedal, but can’t see them being used to be honest.

Cheers,

Mark.

3 Likes

I think @terb is just referring to the Studio 40 already having 40 effects built in. Between that and the 15 different amplifiers it can model, you are unlikely to need any other pedals.

The Studio 40 is a pretty amazing piece of gear.

2 Likes

Hi Mark, I’d like to add that in the past one of my favourite sounds was the OD1 into the OC2 then the Delay (I used a DM1). Fun as fun could ever be! Also, as you say the Behringer is cheap, but is a really excellent pedal and well worth the space on the board. Try everything! You’ll probably be surprised at what does work as much as what doesn’t.

2 Likes

sorry @joergkutter , as often I’ve not been clear at all :sweat_smile: it’s one of my countless talents :joy:

what I had in mind is that there is no difference really between the modeling preamp you have into your amp, and any other external modeling preamp : some of them can be noisy, some other will not (or less), this is not really related to the fact that they are modeling preamp.

noise is very often related to the gain and the frenquency spectrum : more gain will tend to bring more noise (because the noise is amplified) and more treble tends to bring more noise too (breath/wind noise).

3 Likes

Yeah I know the Rumble 40 Studio is an amazing bit of gear - I thought it was because it was 40 watts though. I don’t think there’s 40 effects on it, although there might be.

The pedal board isn’t for use with the Rumble though, it’s for use with my other amp which is a Mesa Walkabout Scout 1x12 Combo, for which I also have matching 1x12 extension cab.
That’s what will be used when I hopefully get gigging regularly.

2 Likes

Thanks Muff, I’ll certainly try everything :+1:

2 Likes

@joergkutter I don’t have one but I am more than a little enamored with the Rumble Studio 40 because it is so incredibly versatile. All in a convenient 19 pound box.

For instance, you can program it with whatever effects and sound you want and then take it to your practice space and run a line from the effects loop send on the Studio 40 to the effects loop return on the Ampeg SVT450H.

With this setup you get all the versatility of your Studio 40 and you get all the power of the Ampeg rig. Using the pre-amp, modeling, and effects of the Studio 40 but the power amp of the SVT450H to drive the bigger speaker cabinet.

But wait, there’s more!

Fender offers a four button foot switch for being able to switch between any pre-sets you setup and for running the looper. So, you can design your sound at home and use it anywhere.

So, what’s the downside? For me, working with the Studio 40 feels a lot like computer work whereas working with the pedals and cables and pedal boards is like Lego’s for musicians. And that shit is just plain fun! And that doesn’t even get into the whole process of getting a new pedal to play with.

2 Likes

@Mark_D The 40 in the name is because it’s 40 watts. It just happens to have 40 effects also.

Oh, and Holy Shit that’s some serious gear you have there!

Thanks for elaborating, @eric.kiser - I totally agree, the Rumble Studio 40 is a great piece of hardware. You point out some intriguing possibilities that I haven’t tested yet (I did get the foot switch when I bought the amp).

My original question was intended to compare two “devices”, which have some similar features in order to see whether the amount of “noise” they create is coming from the fact that they are 20 years apart in production age or from something more fundamentally different.

The intention was to figure out whether it would make sense to get a multi-effect pedal board APART from the Rumble. Your suggestion with the effect loop hadn’t really occurred to me, but in reality, I’d prefer not to lug the Rumble around, even though it is not super heavy. When I go for rehearsal, it is at an inner city location, and so I am relying on public transport. And for the same reason, I don’t want to lug a big board with 5-10 pedals on it either; and I can’t leave stuff in the rehearsal room.

Thanks for clarifying, @terb - so, it is a bit of “hit and miss”!? No way of knowing without testing them!? This is more tricky than I thought :smile:

1 Like

That reminds me of one of the key points of my Mesa Walkabout - I can take the amp out and put it in a shoulder bag and take it to rehearsal studios. That way I get to use the cabs that are there, but with my own amp :+1:

2 Likes

Interesting stuff.
Do you have an Ampeg SVT450H then Eric?

1 Like

Oh, I just looked those up. That’s cool! I had no idea Mesa had started doing this. Quilter Labs has a similar setup with their amps. I prefer things to be as modular as possible so I like this idea a lot.

@Mark_D No, I just happen to know, from another thread, the SVT450H is what @joergkutter has access to at the shared practice space he goes to.

1 Like

Mesa have been utilising the Removable head idea for years.
In fact the Walkabout is out of production now I think.
It has been superseded by the Subway range. Also I think - not 100% sure, just about 98% sure.
I love mine Though, and don’t see myself parting with it.

2 Likes

that’s always the same thing with gear, it’s not really possible to know what will work for you without a test in real life ! and we must consider the fact that we all search different things (even if we can’t always formulate and formalize them), so, yeah, at some point it is needed to try and test gear.

also, as we talk about different modeling preamps, there is one very funny thing : if you take for example an Ampeg B15 model on your Fender, or an Ampeg B15 model on @Howard’s Zoom, or an Ampeg B15 model on my antique Line6 gear, or a real Ampeg B15 … there are big chances that you will get a few different sounds. even probably very different. it’s hard to transpose what you could get from one modeling preamp to another. but the important thing is just the result in the end, not the fact that it is a B15 model (or anything else).

2 Likes

The Amp from my Walkabout in its shoulder bag

3 Likes

I almost bought one of these:

https://www.soundhouse.co.jp/products/detail/item/176580/

as the domestic version here has a detachable 300W head from a super cute 10" cab.

Of course, a standalone head and 1x12 cab accomplishes the same thing.

3 Likes

This is gold. A pedal builder goes through many of the behringer pedals and compares them to the (often very pricey) ones they are based on, and many of them are dead on.

Guitar focused but some are applicable to bass. Some interesting history too; I did not know Uli owned TC now as well.

7 Likes

That’s a great video and the whole thing is him propping up a competitor.
Thanks @howard.

4 Likes

His other reviews are great too. I want to check out his products now.

1 Like