My First Pedalboard!

Question about the Plethora.

For each slot, you can designate it as a pedal. I would guess you could double up, like have two instances of HOF running, and run both at the same time to reverb into reverb. (not that I want to), just assume you could.
So
the real question
once you load tone print to a slot, like if you pick a HOF toneprint and send it to one slot, that slot will be your reverb, or HOF pedal.
Can you send more HOF tone prints to that same position.
What I mean, is like the HOF mini, has only one spot to load a toneprint, the HOF 1 has only one also, but the HOF2 has like 3 positions which you can load 3 tone prints.
Some of the other pedals, the single pedal, will have multiple tone print spots, or the ability to hold more then one.
So does any or all of the positions on the plethora have the ability to hold multiple tone prints from the same pedal?
Or
if I want to have 3 different HOF toneprints, can I use one slot to store them, or would that eat up 3 of the 5 locations on the Plethora?

Damn BassBot, that’s some cold shit right there :slight_smile:

2 Likes

yes and no (I think, I’ve barely used it). compare to a full size TC pedal like the hof reverb which has 3 tone print slots. but you still obviously have to select which one of the three you want. with the x5, I have the hof selected. I flip the switch to edit mode. then one of the knobs becomes the tone print selector and I can select from ANY of the tone prints for that pedal. you don’t have to download them or anything with your phone.

1 Like

yeah, I don’t really know what I’ll do for that one. but although it’s great I really wasn’t using it that much. maybe a simple small filter in the future, I dunno.

1 Like

Just get a Bass Crybaby Wah pedal, I have the Baby one, it is cute, and fun.
I am actually using it OFF my pedalboard, and although it will fit just fine, I have found my feet like it to be a little way away from the pedalboard (I sit alot while playing).
Since I don’t’ need the room, I would probably go for the fill sized Bass CryBaby Wha.
Or even, if going full sized, I would actually go for the Geezder Butler CryBaby Wha pedal. They claim it is set to his likings, and you can change it if you like with controls under the platform / pedal, whatever you call it, lever???

Yeah, you need one of those. LOL. They are fun

1 Like

You can change Toneprints within a slot. But if you want more than one tone prints layered on top of each other at the same time, it takes up more slots. Each slot is one toneprint at a time.

2 Likes

The fact that it works this way says a lot about their pedal design in the first place. Basically, they are nearly all digital sims.

2 Likes

Don’t sell ALL your pedals. You gonna regret it one day :see_no_evil: :hear_no_evil:

3 Likes

Already down to just the two :slight_smile:

2 Likes

meh. you can buy them again.

2 Likes

Yeah exactly, if I ever need them (doubtful, no live plans) I can always buy them again.

Yeah, I figured that, even in the standalone HOF, you have 3 slots, you can only use one at a time.
I was curious because if you want to change with the HOF mini, for example, you need to download another toneprint in order to use another one. So I was checking to see if you can store different tone prints to the single slot so you don’t’ have to continue to download eveytime you want to go between one or two.

So from what you are saying it sounds like you could use one spot to hole a few toneprints for the same effect (like holding 2-3 HOF effects) and switch between them, without having to download to be able to change it over.
This makes it a nice pedal, I was looking over, and I only have like one TC pedal, so I would have to want to sell my Sub-n-up, and then sell my EHX Small Clone Bass Chorus, and my Flamma Reverb pedal, and at least one other to get the scratch to buy this Plethora, and then I would still have the Sub-n-up, but would have the Corona Chorus (which I like, but I think I like the Bass Clone with X-over a bit better) and the HOF reverb. I loke my Flamma, and bang for buck it rocks, but I am sure there are plenty of HOF and HOF2 toneprints that I could live with.
All in all, unless I find a plethora for a smoking deal, gonna keep the indy pedals for now.
But keep posted on how you like it Please Mike @itsratso

1 Like

I think the Plethora looks like a very good deal if you really want a bunch of TC pedals specifically. So in the case of having several TC’s and not much else, it is definitely the way I would go.

The thing is, I like the TC line, but I can’t picture myself ever being in that position :slight_smile:

1 Like

yeah, I can see having the Sub-n-up (which I have) and the HOF (which I would be happy to have for reverb pedal) and maybe the Phaser (since I don’t have one yet). But I like the Bass Clone over the Corona, and while I have not tried the Hyper-gravity comp, I would not replace my compressors with either of the TC offerings.
Unless they had an Envelope filter, and some Dirt, I don’t see it happening.

Although, I recall hearing some pretty good Spectra Drive tone prints, and those were OD / light distortion prints, I still wouldn’t give up the Deluxe Big Muff, or the Earthquaker Labs Plumes (glorified upgraded TS pedal) or the Behringer BDI over anything TC has (to my knowledge that I have seen on YT or tested)
Like I said, I am interested to hear how Mike likes it overall and long term, but not for me, at least not now.

Plus, I think he will end up selling it within 2 months and getting something else, or just playing clean with. a little dirt from his other OD pedal (i forget the name, but it is a good one). :wink: :rofl:

1 Like

Oh, you can store dozens and dozens of toneprints in the X5 to draw from.

2 Likes

It costs 2-1/2 pedals. In my mind I can find 2 things that TC does just fine for me and then I get all the rest as a treasure chest bonus for a little extra money. I think of it like a Zoom this way at what I think is a higher quality tier. Instead of buying HOF and Sub-n-Up I have most of what they make for almost the same price in a small space without all the wires and power distribution.

3 Likes

Yeah, just about enough to make it worth it for me, but its a little too much for me.
I think a Plethora x3 for the cost of 1 1/2 pedals, and I would most likely do it, but I think with 5, and its just me, but with 5, I think a few banks would stay empty, and i would only use one - three tops for the most part.
For sure, the price / value is there, if you are getting 5 pedals for 1/2 cost.

1 Like

It’s 13 pedals (including the looper) for the price of 2-1/2, so 1/5 cost. You can only use 5 pedals actively on at one time. It’s a tap of the foot switch to exchange and shuffle the 5 chosen to be ready.

There are 75 toneprint memories each pedal.

1 Like

yeah. It’s a stellar deal just like it is… if you want more than a couple of those TC pedals.

My problem with it is ironically also its pricing. It’s priced up in the midrange of the multieffects. It’s not that much more to get a HX Stomp, and get a whole lot more. If you’re already dropping $450 on the thing, $600 isn’t that big of a jump. Especially since the Helix comes with Helix Native for an additional $99, which gives it all to you in your DAW and you can just put the thing back in the box until your live gigs :slight_smile:

Helix Native is tempting by itself.

But if the TC pedals are what you want (which would be understandable as they are all good), then the Plethora looks like a killer buy.

1 Like

Agreed. I’m sure it’s a good product. Unfortunately, I was throughly annoyed with the UI of the HD500 and found it unnecessarily cumbersome and frustrating due to design choices. Maybe they are more elegant about this now.

2 Likes