My First Pedalboard!

This depends on what your going for. I haven’t used one, but “vintage” makes me think it will be a more synthy sounding octave pedal.

It’s supposed to be one of the best bass compressor pedals out there. It gets a bad reputation because the controls aren’t very intuitive and it’s difficult to dial in a good sound. Which is a hard sell since we are living in the golden age of pedals and there are lots of great, easy to dial in, bass compressor pedals these days.

Damn! SansAmp stuff is excellent.

I’m a little confused by the J48. If you are working with a right and left channel why would you mix them instead of sending each channel to the board/audio interface separately.

I believe the SansAmp has 2 DI’s on it. Depending on how you set up your gear, you may find the J48 to be redundant.

3 Likes

@420bpm & @eric.kiser

I use the MXR M87 (when I feel I need it) and at first I was having some problems getting it set up right. I found the following video and it really helped me understand the pedal much better, making it easier to get it to do what I want it to do.

3 Likes

Eric has a good point. It certainly is more “synthy” like the Boss OC-2. That’s why I like it so much. If I want clean octaves I use my Digitech Richochet pedal.

3 Likes

Thanks for all the info and feedback!

I understand that the MXR M87 is a really good comp pedal but I think I’m gonna go for Aguilar’s DB 599 instead and I’ve decided to skip on the expensive SansAmp for now and get Aguilar’s DB 925. Those two Aguilar pedals and the MXR M280.

2 Likes

This is a really nice ‘mini’ set imo. Those Aguilar pedals are amazing. Super simple but really effective. The DB 925 really fattens up your tone. I would have gotten the DB 599 but at the time it wasn’t available in Europe so I went with the M282.

2 Likes

@Paul, yeah I really like the small form factor and simplicity of the controls on these pedals.

2 Likes

You can’t go wrong with any Aguilar pedals. Even though I dumped most my pedals in general I may get the Tone Hammer back if I ever see it for a very good deal. I don’t mind having some preamps (currently hold an Ampeg and Sansamp VT) to plug straight into a power amp and play away minus all other gadgets.

3 Likes

I finally got tired of chasing pedals around the floor cable nest. The gap in the upper right is for the tuner. Right now I have a desk stand tuner on the amp. Luckily I didn’t have any more close side connections than I did flat cables on hand. I’ll let this sit and settle for a bit before precisely dressing in the wiring.

I ended up taking the suggestion of mounting using 3M Command strips. They seem to have a good balance of adhesion and removeability. We will see after they sit for awhile.

The super ego is on the bottom row because I use it as a sustain pedal and need to hit the button a lot.

Signal flow is:
Compressor
C4 (in this position for clean tracking of envelope or octave stuff)
MF Drive (complete with Moog ladder filter)
Blackbird tubes
Superego + (sustain and modulation)
Polara reverb

12 Likes

The blackbird looks interesting, I haven’t seen one of those before.

The board looks great!

2 Likes

Thank you! The Blackbird is my favorite for overdrive tube harmonics.

5 Likes

Nice. I put my compressor post the synth but now you are making me rethink this.

2 Likes

Compression is always the very first thing for me, unless you count tuning.

2 Likes

I did this for this synth pedal because what I read about it was that the pedal wants all the detailed dynamics to feed into it, but the compressor first makes sense to ‘clean up’ the input. I also have my envelope filter before the compressor because I thought I read that was a thing to. I of course can be totally wrong here. Might be doing some moves now.

4 Likes

Yeah I can see that being true for dynamics-driven pedals like a synth pedal, that makes a lot of sense to consider putting it first.

2 Likes

I will flip it around for sure if the envelope doesn’t trigger clean. I haven’t had a chance to play with the C4 much.

2 Likes

That may yet turn out better.

3 Likes

How are you liking the MF Drive?

1 Like

I like it a lot. It’s also incredibly fun because it has the classic Moog ladder filter in it. You can set up the resonance in the same cool way that makes the Moog synth bass, but it’s on a real acoustic signal. It’s just honey to the ears.

3 Likes

Trimmed down the board from tuner, fuzz (SGFX Imperial), od (ssBS Mini), and compressor (The Accountant) to just tuner and VT Bass.

After coming back from some time off, the sounds from my board just weren’t the sounds I wanted anymore.

2 Likes

Always good to edit and try things a little different or simpler.

3 Likes