My First Pedalboard!

yeah I have a pedal of the same series (Prophet, a studio delay) and it’s well made for the price.

2 Likes

Mission accomplished, grabbed a great deal on a pristine used Boss RV-3. Loving the reverb and delay effects on it. It stacks with chorus and the octaver very nicely I think :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Nice, @howard! So, I guess we need an updated photo then :grin:

Still waiting on my GT-1B… holidays messed the whole shipping logistics a bit up here in EU it seems…

3 Likes

Sure! One spot left. I have a pretty good idea about what is going to go there.

Technically the drum machine doesn’t need to be on the board, but I decided I kind of like it. It’s a parallel signal chain, the bass doesn’t go through it. Though it could :slight_smile:

Looking forward to hearing what you think of it. Looks like a nice multieffector.

2 Likes

This reminds me. This kind of connector:

like I have between the Big Muff and the Bass Clone? I strongly recommend avoiding them. Now I need to take a lot of care moving either pedal because it puts torque on the jack of both pedals when I do. Pulling the velcro apart for those is now a PITA. Next time I have one off the board I’m replacing that with a patch cable.

4 Likes

me too. those things are jack plugs killers.

3 Likes

I use an OC-2 all the time, the tracking is only as good as your muting technique. :stuck_out_tongue: String crossing is the trickiest, because if there’s any noise still coming from the string you came from, you’ll get a garbled mess.

But personally, with my technique nice and tight, I can get it to track long notes almost anywhere, down to a loooowwwww G. Lower frets on the D and G strings are the only spots that consistently lose correct octave tracking after 1-2 seconds.

But it depends on what you send into the pedal too! Those specs are all with my active Peavey Cirrus sending in a pretty hot signal.

+1 to this! Those are such a terrible concept, pedalboards take so much stress that those connectors are bound to f**k up the jacks on the pedals. Much better to use low-profile cables like EBS makes (I love these).

3 Likes

with my Precision, the harmonics are enough to make the tracking fail, even with a perfect muting and only one note playing :grimacing: but strangely the tracking works way better with a guitar. maybe it’s just an issue with this bass, I don’t know. I should try the OC-2 with the SBV, not sure I ever did it !

3 Likes

So, from a technical perspective, what is the solution to getting an octave pedal that tracks well? Most of the newer octave pedals say they track well (i.e. the OC-3, POG2, etc.) Is there something specific to look for?

1 Like

the OC-2 is not really a digital octaver, as it does not have a clock. the strange thing is that it uses digital gates (normally used in digital circuitry) and those things are not made at all for complex signals, that’s the reason why the tracking often fails. in fact the word “tracking” is not really the good one, there is no tracking really, just hacked digital components working with an analog signal. All this is also the reason why this octaver has its very own tone !

the more modern octavers are real digital circuitry : there is a real tracking which analyzes the content of the signal, and the circuitry applies an algorithm on this signal (or even creates a brand new signal if needed) to create the effected signal. it’s a very different design.

2 Likes

Yep what @terb said, for better tracking get a modern digital one. The EHX POG is one that is famous for better tracking.

Totally! I found it works way better with the compressor on and adding a little boost.

3 Likes

maybe I just don’t have enough output level with my passive PB !

4 Likes

I love love love the labels on this pedal.

5 Likes

Interesting! Have you tried rolling the tone off and seeing if that helps? Is that with pick, fingers, or both?

Haha that’s a way more complicated question than you know, Eric… really depends on what sound you want. This could be a whole massive thread, but basically you need to choose between analog octaves (more synthy/vintage sound, monophonic (one note) tracking, a little quirkier to operate) and digital octaves (sounds more like a bass being doubled in a different octave than a synth, polyphonic, generally decent tracking).

And that’s a horrible oversimplification. So it depends on what you want, is the short answer. There are SO many cool octave pedals to try.

5 Likes

I love the synthy warble of analog octavers. It just sounds wrong in a very very good way.

2 Likes

I can’t remember exactly, it’s been a long time since I used the OC-2 ! I probably tried pick and fingers but not the tone rolling … I’ll have to try this ! also on the Bass POD Pro there is an octave down modeled after the OC-2, it would be interesting to compare the tracking to the original one :grin:

3 Likes

I tend to find myself in the purist camp. I don’t have a lot of interest in pedalboards myself. I’m open to that changing over time though. I think the bass and amp have most of what I need for now though. However, it is interesting to see what other people are doing.

6 Likes

Even so you might want to check out a compressor pedal at some point, and having a preamp is useful in a lot of situations, especially if your amp doesn’t have a DI out. Pedals don’t necessarily have to mean a heavily effected sound :slight_smile:

5 Likes

even if I have way too much pedals, I almost never use any “spectacular” effect. only subtle and/or amp-style things like compressor, overdrive, preamps, EQ sometimes …

currently I only use the BDI21 (used more like an overdrive/distorsion than like a preamp) and the Bass POD Pro (with the “effect” section bypassed).

3 Likes

Yeah. Am currently looking at the new Orange Bass Butler which is a bi-channel pre-amp. Has compression on the clean channel and distortion on a separate guitar channel. Co-designed by the Muse bassist who demos it at the end of this video. Will be good combined with my passive bass. But not sure I’ll get more than something like this.

1 Like