My First Pedalboard!

That thing looks awesome. And unsurprisingly if Wolstenholme co-designed it it would be right up my alley as well; my tone and effects mix I gravitate towards are reflective a lot of his sound.

edit: ahh that’s not Chris Wolstenholme at the end, that’s not Muse’s bassist, he’s a touring and session bassist working with them recently; that still doesn’t affect my opinion, it sounds great.

3 Likes

sounds pretty good

1 Like

How is that U24 doing for you, been looking at it…

2 Likes

I love it, inexpensive and effective with a lot of connector flexibility.

1 Like

yes it is very versatile
but the inexpensive bit was the part i have concerns
how is the signal to noise ratio?

2 Likes

They claim -119.5dB at max gain (43dB). I have never had an issue with it, though at max gain I do notice a small amount of noise. I generally keep the gain on the thing at about 7 and I don’t hear any noise whatsoever from it then.

Zoom makes good gear.

2 Likes

Need to see some reviews first before I pull the trigger, because it’s not cheap ($400). Fine to pay for quality things that last if they are good and useful though.

2 Likes

The separate outs would be cool for recording (assuming you had a multiple-in audio interface or a mixer) because you’d get the distorted and clean EQ on separate tracks in the DAW. Or live you could send them to separate amps or boards (which is probably the intended usage).

3 Likes

So when I got my EHX Battalion (which is awesome, can’t recommend it enough) I took my BDI-21 off my board.

I’m thinking about putting it back on.

Basically, I like the Battalion’s distortion and overdrive so much that I don’t want it to be the last thing in the chain. I am thinking about moving it before my chorus and reverb/delay, because that’s where I like distortion to be. Same for the EQ, I want it before those too.

The only problem is, then those are after my DI. Bad, as I use my DI out to go to my DAI and would use it live that way if I were gigging.

So the answer is to add another DI :slight_smile:

The other benefit to this is that the BDI-21 also makes a nice tone-coloring amp sim. It can sound either Ampeg or sort of GK-like to me, depending on how you use its EQ. The Battalion is much more transparent in comparison (which is more ideal for a preamp in most cases.)

Haven’t fully decided to do it yet because I would probably need to pull off my drum machine, which is super convenient to have on my board. Kind of a first world problem for sure, though.

1 Like

:scream:

yeah I think it would work better in this order

yeah and (very) depending on the “presence” setting

well with all you said, my reaction is that you could use the BDI21 as your final DI but also as an EQ without too much tone coloring. for this I would set the “blend” to 0, which disables the gain stages (drive/presence) but leaves the EQ (bass/treble) and level control.

pushing the nerd thing a step further, here is the BDI21 schematic (without the FET switching circuitry) :

2 Likes

Yeah they really did a good job on cloning the SansAmp. The BDI-21 is a great little piece of gear and I really like its amp-sim like tonal qualities.

I think you’d like the Battalion a lot too.

edit: the circuit diagram is cool btw. 12 op-amps :slight_smile:
I’m trying to figure out what that little square of resistors and caps between the first two opamps off the input jack do, and the similar one between the third and fourth. Are those buffers?

1 Like

That’s very possible ! at this time I’m still getting more familiar with the Bass POD Pro but I’d like to try a Battalion, and I very probably will sooner or later ! also I’ll have to test some Darkglass gear at some point. I’m considering building a B3K clone.

yes, in fact 2 quad (TL074) and 2 double (4558 & 4580)

no, those are notch filters. the first “little square” :slight_smile: is the one which makes the famous mid cut at 800 Hz. the mod on my BDI21 acts on those components by the way :grin:

the buffers are U1A, U1B, U3A, U3D, U4A. 5 buffers !

3 Likes

Ahh, cool. Thanks for the explanation. My electronics-fu is weak :slight_smile:

2 Likes

There we go.

Even room for another pedal now if I move stuff around. I kind of want to get better patch cables before that though, these are not super compact.

Two overdrive/distortions, two EQs, and a fuzz pedal. I think I am good for the dirt for now :slight_smile:

2 Likes

After reading through all these posts, I realize I really should have taken electrical engineering back in college . . . :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Me too! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

also one thing I could have mentioned : the schematic says that even if the BDI21 is switched off, the DI continues to do send the signal ! could be interesting to know …

2 Likes

Oh that’s definitely true, I use it that way.

2 Likes

Let me study that schematic a little more . . . :thinking:

hmmm . . . yes, I see . . . umm

ok

3 Likes

so it can be used as a DI + footswitchable EQ, that’s interesting

2 Likes