My Son's Challenge

I went to see my son in London today for Father’s Day. Great day.
For my present, he had got me made a bag of custom picks with pictures of my dogs on both sides:

When I got home this evening back to Hampshire, I posted a picture of the picks on my extended family’s WhatsApp chat group, saying what a nice thought the pics were, but jokingly maybe next year my son could get me a Music Man Stingray Special HH in black, customised in some way.
My son replied that if I could play along to Twinkle Twinkle Little Star on the bass, he would get it for me next year. Well he made the mistake of making this off hand pledge in reading view of about 20 family members!
Some egging on then ensued…
Not being one to make things too easy, I offered to do it as a rock cover!
So now I need a) a good rock cover of Twinkle Twinkle b) some help with a few bass notes to chug along to and c) my son not to emigrate before I complete this challenge!
You will be mine:

:grinning:
EDIT:
This was sons final remark on WhatsApp, I don’t think he has much faith on my ability to learn new things:

15 Likes

Very cool gift, @Mark_UK . . . :slight_smile:

Cheers, Joe

5 Likes

A wonderful gift. I would never use them. I remember how fast they wear off when playing guitar and I wouldn’t want the pictures to scratch off.

A quick youtube search resulted in this metal cover which I think sounds ok apart from the metal growling at the start and the end:

A bit closer to the original:

I suppose they still use the same chord progression but play some power chords and a more aggressive rythm.

Seems to be some kind of a genre to cover children socks as rock/metal because both of the artists do it for multiple children songs.

8 Likes

Thanks @juli0r, I’m one step closer to my customised upgrade!

7 Likes

Way cool!

6 Likes

There’s also youtube videos on the chord progression and at the start there’s an overview including bass notes:

So research wise I think you’re set now!
Go for it!

4 Likes

Thanks again @juli0r.
It’s not the rocktastic beginning I had in mind, "hey Mark what was your first cover after learning string crossing on B2B? ", “Well actually it was…”
:grinning:

6 Likes

:joy:
I don’t think it really matters what you play as long as you enjoy yourself while doing it.

Something I want to clarify: When I said powerchords I was talking about the guitar and I’m not even sure about that. It would work as song though. I think the bass is playing roots in the same rythm as the guitar.

5 Likes

I’m happy to have a laugh and be silly if it makes my son laugh, he’ll see the video, phone me up and tell me I’m a wally and then we’ll fall about laughing.
What could be better?

6 Likes

and you just made me remember I recorded this thing during the lockdown (posted April 1st). I used my standard industrial metal bass tone because I was working on a indus cover at the time.

10 Likes

…a piece so interesting that even the likes of Mozart, Bach and Liszt thought it was worthy to mess around?

5 Likes

So me… googling that, remembering the false news that Mozart did even write the piece:

Those lyrics. I’m dying! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

6 Likes

I did not know that @gcancella, I feel more sensible now, and better about when I take the Stingray from my son :grin:

6 Likes

Hi @terb,
Love the shape and colour of that bass👍
Oh and your hat looks cool😎
Cheers Brian

4 Likes

Can’t wait to have a son that challenges me. I really want a Stingray

5 Likes

Hi @terb, I did not think you could impress me further since showing me your cover of Old Number 7, but this gold!

5 Likes

it’s a Yamaha SBV 500 (about 20yr old), sadly it’s very rare … that’s sad because it’s a really great instrument. and yeah the look is insane ! :grin: I bought it because Fumi (bass player of Polysics) plays with Yamaha SBV basses !

it’s a french thing but this hat is also really rare. every french peope know that, it’s called a “bob Ricard” :grin:

thank you Mark, that’s not the most impressive record I made I think :sweat_smile: but thank you !

4 Likes

@terb it was a cover of one of my favourite songs, you played it outside sitting on the grass on a hill looking down at a river below, with cats mooching round you.
Seemed pretty cool to me!

4 Likes

Hi @terb,
If you ever want to part with it, let me know.
:+1:
Cheers Brian

6 Likes

FYI: heres the alternative lyrics for you to sing along:

Starkle starkle little twink
I’m not as peep as drunkle think
I’m not under the affluence of incohol
Though many thinkle peep I am

7 Likes