NAMM 2020 Bass Announcements

Is there a NAMM thread? I didn’t see one. Starts on the 16th of Jan, but some news is already coming out. I’m personally excited about the new Orange stuff that was announced yesterday. I like how Orange does old school analog stuff.

6 Likes

Darkglass Bass Cabinets announced. There main selling point is that they are apparently very light in weight.

3 Likes

I don’t think so as of yet. So here we go!!!

3 Likes

Some new Ibanez basses. Might be announcing more at the show as well.

2 Likes

Some new Sandberg basses just announced.

sandberg2

From guitarworld.com:

Sandberg has announced several new basses in its ever growing collection - the Lionel short-scale passive model, a new addition to the California SuperLight Series and an upgrade to the current Nighthawk series - the Nighthawk Plus.

Also included in this slew of new releases is the California VM5 with Aguilar Electronics - a huge name in the world of bass guitar.

The Lionel model will include a 30" scale-length neck and passive split coil pickup configuration and will feature both matte and aged finishes.

The California TT4 SuperLight will feature an ultra-lightweight Paulownia body, and a roasted maple neck.

As previously mentioned, the Nighthawk Plus is an upgrade over the existing Nighthawk series, and will feature Sandberg-designed Black Label pickups, a striking black headstock and an anodized aluminum pickguard.

The California VM5 will feature an OBP-2 Preamp, an AG 5P 60s split coil in the neck position, and an AG 5M in the bridge position.

These basses will be available from January 14 - prices are TBC.

2 Likes

Martin has released a high-end electro-acoustic bass. Not many acoustic basses around anymore, so good to see one. Albeit, it is $2,399 list price…

2 Likes

Hubba hubba :drooling_face:

Unfortunately, Sandberg basses don’t align well with my bank account :joy:

4 Likes

New short scale 5 string Talman? Interesting, must be why you can’t find the Mikro 5 any more. Even more interesting, they added a 5 to the Mezzo line. Medium scale 5 string. Hmm. I want to play one of each to see how flubby the B string is.

Other than that I think I like the existing SR2400 line better than their new high end models, at least for looks :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I know I said no more GAS for awhile, but, I’m still allowed to drool! :drooling_face:

3 Likes

@JT Holy shit! $2400! I want to play it just to see if feels like $2400.

Edit: I just went and read about it. It really is very nice.

2 Likes

Stop being silly. That’s what credit cards are for… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Haha, yes, indeed - the sweet life on loaned money… :rofl:

1 Like

Here is a video of the previous model. I expect it to sound quite similar to this. Not an upright and not an electric. Sits in the middle of the two. Definitely could be good to have around to noodle on.

2 Likes

That would certainly be a lot of noodling around for $2500!:money_mouth_face:

This is probably a little more up my alley and would actually fit into my retirement budget much better…:grin:

washtub-bass2

5 Likes

Was going to say… but, hey, different people have different budgets :crazy_face:

Love the fret markers on that other, uhm, bass :rofl:

2 Likes

@joergkutter - I think I’m gonna make one and use it on a song to post on @terb’s cover thread…

3 Likes

It’s true. It isn’t cheap, but some of their instruments cost tens of thousands. $2k or so for an instrument is pretty normal to what I would usually get, but I’d only have one electric and one acoustic. I’m not a multiple (similar) instrument guy really. I think you are mainly just paying for aesthetics and exclusiveness over that. Maybe slightly better tone, but not noticeable to the average person probably.

What I meant is that there is just something really nice about having an acoustic guitar or bass that you can just pickup and mess around with while you are watching TV or out at a park or whatever. I’ve always found playing acoustic instruments more therapeutic than electric too, but that’s probably a personal thing. I trained in piano and violin, so that probably has something to do with it as well.

The other thing with Martin guitars as that they hold their value well if they are looked after. Some even go up in price after awhile.

3 Likes

would be so cool ! much more than a Martin actually … :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Totally agree, @JT! We were just yanking your chain a bit, I guess :grin:

3 Likes

Couple of basses from Warwick announced. Limited Edition and pricey…

• LTD 2020 BO Teambuilt 4-string: $3,790.00
  • LTD 2020 BO Teambuilt 5-string: $3,990.00
  • LTD 2020 NT Masterbuilt 4-string: $6,590.00
  • LTD 2020 NT Masterbuilt 5-string: $6,990.00

Look nice though!

3 Likes