NAMM 2020 Bass Announcements

That’s funny your feeling about the 5 & 4 pickguard. I feel the exact opposite. I was hoping sine it was 2020 they’d have a special edition 5 that had the look of the 4 like “old smoothie” except be active unlike old smoothie.

The new colors seem alright. Nothing really flipping me lid though. I’m crossing my fingers that maybe they will have different color/fretboard combinations than they have had the last couple of years.

2 Likes

Yeah, each to their own. I also only like dark fretboards. Have never liked an instrument with a light colored one. Others prefer the light ones. At least most companies are realizing this and making more color options.

1 Like

For me it largely comes down to the color combination between the body color and fretboard. Both my P & J are maple and the roasted maple is better than unfinished maple certainly next to the Burnt Apple color, I’d still prefer ebony or even rosewood.

1 Like

NAMM officially starts tomorrow! Hype! Yamaha has their page ready to go with a countdown. Nothing else there yet though.

yamaha

https://usa.yamaha.com/news_events/namm/index.html

1 Like

New Yamaha TRBX300 and TRBX500. Also a new silent upright bass for the adventurous. Link in post above gives more info.

1 Like

Thanks, @JT! But, what exactly is new about these models?? Didn’t they have TRBXx00’s before?? So, more like small improvements? Do you know more?

@howard??

1 Like

I’m not sure. It is possible these were announced recently and they have just tacked it onto the list, but you are right these TRBX models have been around for 6 years or so. So I’m assuming something has changed. Probably has, but it’s not being highlighted anywhere yet. I’m sure some site will write about it soon.

2 Likes

Not seeing much else in the bass department really. Most things probably announced by now. Guitar gets SO much more love at these things. I thought fender had released some sort of mini 4-string basses, but they are in fact new ukuleles. :rofl:

Well, maybe some are bass ukes, not sure yet…

2 Likes

Only visible difference is colours. The layout looks the same so possibly new electronics - perhaps upgrading the 500s and bumping those down the way to the 300s, but you’d think the 600s would also have to be upgraded, and why not upgrade the 170/200s to the old 500 spec too.

I’d go with “just the colours”.

1 Like

so cute :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

Here’s another pic. I’m assuming the “Jaz…” is a Jazzmaster not a Jazz Bass, but could be wrong. Would be nice if they did a cool bass uke, but not counting on it.

1 Like

Oh yes. I wouldn’t mind a Jaguar uke.

2 Likes

a Tele uke for me !

1 Like

On closer inspection, I think it is just 3 uke models, each in two colors. Strat, Tele, Jazzmaster. No bass love here…

1 Like

I think they are in the video towards the top, but here is a couple new Ibanez headless basses…

2 Likes

According to the Yamaha official news on their website, there are no details specified about the TRBX models, but… on the TRBX section there are two new colours (certainly 1 new one on the 504/5. There may also be a new section named “chronology”, but it doesn’t reveal anything new. Technical specs are the same.

UPDATE
“ Style-savvy guitarists take note: the ever-popular Pacifica 112V electric guitars are now available in elegant Vintage White and United Blue finishes. Ice Blue and Gray finishes offered on Pacifica 112VM guitars beautifully compliment their maple fingerboards.

Bassists, too, will appreciate the chic simplicity of the Factory Blue finish offered on 4-string TRBX304 and 5-string TRBX305 basses, as well as the earthy richness of the Brick Burst finish available on the TRBX504 and TRBX505.”

2 Likes

New Fender Player Mustang Bass $649

"As seen in the hands of the bass players from bands as revered as The Rolling Stones and My Chemical Romance, the Mustang Bass has been notorious for packing a lot of tone into a lightweight and short-scale package, ideal for those with smaller frames or hands.

Classic appointments such as vintage-style Fender tuning machines and a vintage-style disc string tree - along with a four-bolt neck plate and standard four-saddle bridge ensure that the new Mexican-made models will only build on that great legacy. The Player series models will be available in Sienna Sunburst, Aged Natural and Firemist Gold."

New Mayones Jabba Hadrien Feraud PJ 4

“The Mayones Jabba Hadrien Feraud PJ 4 is crafted with a swamp ash body, spruce top, and a carbon-reinforced one-piece maple neck. Its pau ferro fingerboard is inlaid with acrylic blocks while luminescent Luminlay dots mark the side of the fingerboard. For hardware, Mayones opted for their Big Foot bridge and Hipshot HB6C Ultralite Tuners. The bass comes in a 2-tone Sunburst on the spruce top and natural finish on the back.”

2 Likes

Looks like it’s just new colors to me.

2 Likes

Yeah, this one’s cool… see the “…any new sexy basses lately…” thread a few weeks ago :grin:

1 Like

New X-Series Jackson Spectra basses and some new colors for their JS-Series Spectra basses.

https://www.jacksonguitars.com/features/spectra

2 Likes