Neck radius, sizes, shapes, etc

Ah I didn’t realize the EBMMs had bigger necks. 9.5" to 11" is not an insignificant difference.

And I just checked the 2018 MiM P Bass I have, looks like it has a 9.5" neck as well. I’ll be going to a store to try the EBMMs out anyway but good to know.

EDIT: New thread was started at this post – Use it to discuss All Things Necks.

4 Likes

looks like you’re talking about the radius. sure it’s not an insignificant difference !

not sure “bigger neck” refer to the radius usually ? I think more about the thickness first, width second. maybe I just misunderstood.

5 Likes

@bjams All Fender J-Basses that I’m aware of (except for their Vintera '70s Jazz Bass made in Mexico) have a 9.5" neck radius. A bass with an 11" radius would have a “flatter” fingerboard.

So it does not necessarily mean the neck is bigger. The thickness, or how “chunky” the neck feels, is another consideration, though.

Best thing to do is try them in person to see whether you like them or not. :slight_smile:

Cheers
Joe

5 Likes

Fender switched to 9.5" during the first half of the 80’s I think. prior to that, all Fender had a 7.25" radius. that’s very round, I’m not a big fan. what this means is also that the current reissue Fender still have the 7.25" radius.

5 Likes

@terb @Jazzbass19 Ah yeah I totally misunderstood what neck radius was, I was thinking of it like the circumference around the entire neck but I see now it has to do with the curvature of the fretboard. I do see the neck/nut width differences between the Ray24CA and EBMM Stingray Special –

Ray24CA - 1.5" at nut
EBMM - 1.6875" at nut
Fender MiM P Bass Modern C Necks - 1.625" at nut

I just need to go play one.

OK I’ll stop talking about neck specs on the covers thread now :slight_smile:

5 Likes

(Fender necks are not all the same, not at all)

5 Likes

indeed, edited to be more specific

3 Likes

Yes, thank you, Laurent @terb . . . I was referring ONLY to the Fender Jazz Basses in my response to @bjams post above.

You are quite correct . . . big difference in feel between their P-bass and the J-bass necks! The Vintera '70s Jazz Bass listed on Sweetwater has a 7.25" radius neck.

It gets really confusing when it comes to the Fender Jazz neck “shapes”, though:

They have C . . . modern C . . . slim C . . . custom Thick C . . . and 60s C, in addition to the 70s C which is the 7.25" radius on that Vintera '70s Jazz . . . . :crazy_face:

The neck “feel” is very important . . . I also didn’t realize that Fender changed the neck radius back in the early 80’s, so thanks for increasing my knowledge base! :wink:

Cheers
Joe

6 Likes

Funny thing with necks…the finish on the neck is important. Most basses have a “glossy” finish on the neck, and while not a deal breaker at all, it is “sticky”. You get the slightest bit of moisture and your thumb sticks a bit. I was surprised because my Schecter has a matte finish (no gloss) and this makes the neck smooth and it glides better. It’s the tiniest little difference that I never would have noticed, and wasn’t even anything I thought of or looked for.

4 Likes

I am reluctant to add to this off topic in the Post Your Covers thread, but this talk about neck radius has me intrigued. Of all the basses I’ve owned or just picked up and played, neck width or radius never crossed my mind. I guess I don’t get why it even makes such a difference.
I’ll pay closer attention to such things in the future.

5 Likes

maybe another thread would be appropriate, yeah :grin:

@JoshFossgreen would it be possible to split the post at post#3565 to create a new thread ?called like “Neck radiuses, sizes, shapes, and other dimensional parameters” (probably not the best name)

thanks !
:v::grin:

7 Likes

Agreed!
@JoshFossgreen ?

5 Likes

Or just “Necks” :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Done, thanks for pinging me @terb!

6 Likes

Thanks for splitting this @JoshFossgreen and thanks @terb for suggesting it.

5 Likes

thank you @JoshFossgreen !

5 Likes

Some very interesting reading in this thread.
I started with a very slim and fast Ibanez which I truly believe helped me a lot in the beginning but now I’m fortunate enough to also have the wider P bass and much chunkier Rick to play.
In my head I’m not sure I would have done as well with these as the Ibanez as my first bass but is that all in my head?

6 Likes

I’m kind of the same mentally. I have small hands, so have convinced myself I should be on the thinner Jazz Bass neck and that I’ll never go above four strings. But I see kids playing big basses so know it’s probably just in my head.

5 Likes

This is what worries me the most about the Rickenbacker 4003 as I contemplate a purchase (whenever they get back in stock), @Mac . . . :neutral_face:

I really, really wish I could try one in person, but no luck so far.

Would you say that the Rick definitely feels thicker and chunkier than the P-bass? I’m staring at numbers right now and trying to convince myself that an extra eighth of an inch nut width won’t matter . . .

Maybe I just have a bad case of GAS . . . :roll_eyes:

Thanks
Joe

3 Likes

I don’t know what you would prefer, but it does make an obvious difference.

4 Likes