Needs help with Warwick

Stage 1 streamers are usually pj set up.
Stage 2 are soapbars or jazz style pickups
Jazzman style is typically a humbucker by the bridge and a jazz pickup in front of it
I’ve also seen double humbuckers on a streamer Older ones were standard to have emg but after the 90’s everything was MEC which is Warwicks custom spec electronics.
5 and 6 string version will typically be Jazzman style, soapbars, jazz bass pick-ups, or humbuckers
Anything from the custom shop you get to choose whatever pickups, preamp, wood, string spacing, neck profile, etc so you’ll see a variety of things.
The streamer is one of the oldest models from Warwick and started after taking the Spector body style and making some small changes to make it unique. It’s also very customizable and you’ll see tons of different set ups. The older ones have a sleeker looking horn while later they went to a fatter horn or wider basically. I personally prefer the older style in looks but just me.

3 Likes

This is a stage 2 and a newer version. Note the horn and body contours.

Here is Mr Willis aka P-Nut with his Jazzman style. This bass is probably one of his older ones. He’s played Warwick since before he got famous in 311 I believe. You’ll see the body changes over the years comparing this to the pic above.

2 Likes

I think the thumb takes the cake on that one. Lol

That’s one thing I love about them, I love flat fretboards.

1 Like

Kiyoshi has many Warwicks (she’s a signature artist like P-Nut, her hero :rofl:) but she mainly rocks a Stage II 5-string, and yeah, it’s J’s.

My first Streamer (an LX5) was in this configuration too. Gotta say I wasn’t a fan, but I dislike J’s in general, and that was the bass I learned I really don’t like 5’s much either. Especially though the J’s were not good on the lighter Streamer, though. Just too thin on the Rockbasses (and pup quality wasn’t the problem - they were fine J pickups. it’s just that IMO J’s don’t work well on light, bright basses. There’s a reason Leo made the Jazz an anchor).

The Stage II is much heavier than the rockbass and it sounds much better:

2 Likes

Dammit dammit dammit. All right, I’ll have to try them. I really wanted to love the Streamer and was sad when even the second one didn’t gel. The instruments and the company are just so good. They had me when Florence replied to my customer support question personally :rofl:

I’ll try a Rockbass Streamer Stage I too just in case. Though really I am missing a double buck. Not that I am buying anything, seriously, but I do feel like I owe them another chance; they came through for me when I had an issue so I’m inclined to like them.

3 Likes

In the rockbass line they have a bolt on and a neck through version now. They are really nice. Not cheap at over a grand when new but the rock basses are better than ever these days if you didn’t see the serial number on the back it’s hard to tell it from a German production lx. It’s literally maple vs ovankol or wenge but both have wenge fretboards.

2 Likes

Yeah they had the neck-thrus when I bought mine too; they did look nice, but were pricey and heavier so i went with the LX’s. They used to call these the Streamer NT; now it looks like they are adopting the Stage I and II naming from the Pro/Masterbuilt lines for the rockbasses too, which is better.

2 Likes

Yeah neck through anything is going to be heavier. Also the neck will be thicker. They do that because they can’t afford to have a neck twister or warp because of how much it is to take the body wings off and stick it on a new neck.

1 Like

:rofl: all in good fun!

1 Like

Just to give a little bump what do you guys like to use for strings on your streamers or other Warwicks?

1 Like

I used D’Addario EXL’s.

The strings Warwick ships basses with - Warwick Reds anyway - are easily the worst roundwounds I have ever used. Both new sets I got were absolute garbage. Do yourself a favor and ditch them immediately :rofl:

2 Likes

I believe my 5 string $$ is Warwick and the 4 string uses DR Lo-Rider. Both are pretty great. I’m planning on putting the Optima unique studio gold string on the 4 string. Just to complete the look, lol.

2 Likes

What don’t you like about the Warwick red? Just curious. Thanks @howard

2 Likes

Both sets I had felt really cheap and almost like they were dusty all the time. They had a really rough unpleasant texture to them, kind of like cheap “stainless” rounds that are starting to corrode.

I’ve had good stainless rounds. These were not them. And every nickel round I have tried, all of them, were better.

2 Likes

Ouch. Good to know. So far it’s seems to be good with highs and lows for me not sure when it would turn. I’ve been playing both exclusively for the last week or so, which is rare for me. Lol.

2 Likes

They are definitely nice instruments. I would absolutely buy from the company again, I really like their work.

2 Likes

I agree. They don’t feel like a jazz bass it’s different. Feel spacious enough for such a narrow (to me) nut width. It feels like a Warwick lol.

3 Likes

Yeah, definitely need to get out and try some Corvettes for fun. I really wanted the Streamers to work out for me.

2 Likes

I think my Streamer LX came with the Warwick Black Label, and though they aren’t my favorite strings, they aren’t too bad for steels. I will probably replace with nickel once these are done.

2 Likes