Needs help with Warwick

The other weirdness is the Reds mine came with were the steels. The Carolena body Rockbasses do not need that extra brightness kick. I love bright strings but these took the Rockbass to silly levels of bright.

2 Likes

I have tried both black and red label Warwick. Black is smoother and a decent string if you like a mid scoop and a less bright string. Red labels have more mids and bite and actually donā€™t sound too terrible. They are rough and donā€™t feel very refined.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve settled on Rotosound RS66LD stainless rounds on the Streamer 4 string. I love the feel and the tone they retain throughout their life.

On the Thumb, Iā€™m currently using Warwick EMP but I have a set of Optimas to go on at the next change.

As for the Warwick reds that come stock with the Rockbass, I thought they sounded ok, but felt very rough and unfinished. Almost like they had sharp edges to the windings. The Warwick Black and EMP strings were absolutely fine.

1 Like

Is your streamer pj or soapbar? Iā€™m starting to think about trying rotos again on my streamer. Iā€™m trying to get the right amount of bite out of it. The pickups are very thick sounding and I like it but itā€™s a journey to get it to sound focused but not loose the natural thick growl. My Corvette was the same way when I first got it. I used a few different strings looking for the sound I wanted.

Both PJ.
The one on the Left is active MEC PJ pickups with 2 band MEC preamp.
The one on the Right is active MEC PJ pickups with 2 band Glockenklang preamp.

2 Likes

I love that blue stain! So we know itā€™s got rotos but what strings are you running on the natural finish one?

2 Likes

It has Ernie Balls at the moment but theyā€™re not staying. Back to Rotosounds.

2 Likes

I think the first strings I ever bought were Ernie Ball. They only lasted a few days before they got really dead. I later found out itā€™s because my hands are allergic. I put rotos in a league way over Ernie Ball. Havenā€™t tried cobalts but thereā€™s so many great strings out there I donā€™t have to.

2 Likes

Iā€™m (future) thinking a WW 5string Corvette (JJ) for my second bass. Is it a waste of money if your not pro though? Iā€™m mostly looking for a JJ bass to get more of a ā€œfunā€ sound than my pbass for future playing.

Warwick seems to be highly revered gear in bass communities.

2 Likes

Youā€™re best off trying any bass youā€™re considering buying before you buy it. That could mean visiting your friendly (or not), neighborhood music store or ordering online with a solid 30-45-day return policy.

The latter would likely mean a shipping cost for a return, but thatā€™s a whole lot better than having to eat the full boat cost of a costly bass, if you donā€™t love it.

Basses are very subjective. A lot of people swear by a brand while others do not. Trust your hands to find you a bass that rings your chimes. Good hunting.

3 Likes

Anyone who own at least one bass can appreciate the quality. I own a few and Iā€™m still blown away by the quality I donā€™t know why I held out as long as I did to own a Warwick. Now I have l lot of catching up :joy:

2 Likes

They make very high quality instruments; even their intro line made in China is really well made. And as a company they are unparalleled for customer service at the scale they do; sometimes you will even get a reply from one of the founders. I did.

They are also very innovative; the bridge and nut system they use is easily my favorite I have tried, itā€™s extremely versatile and easy to adjust.

And finally, they just have this awesome, thick modern sound to them.

I will say you want to try before you buy though. They do have a slightly different fit and aesthetic to other basses. And their sound will not work as well for some genres (like, a Corvette $$ would be an odd choice for Motown).

But as an instrument, they are great.

1 Like

Thank you @howard for the wonderful insight.

I can say this I play quite a few basses of different brands and prior to owning a Warwick I have a preconceived notion of how it might feel but to my pleasant surprise it plays even better and more comfortable. It perfectly fits the theme of a German precision. It would have been nice to get to enjoy it one at a time instead of two but Iā€™m certainly glad it happened the way it did.

1 Like

Here are my Streamers, one German Pro Series, one Chinese Rockbass:

Iā€™ve since upgraded the electronics on the Rockbass (John East Uni-Pre 4 preamp, Nordstrand Blade pups):

4 Likes

Yeah, and Fort Knox has few nuggets of gold. :wink:

2 Likes

How do you like y]the zen blade, I have in on my Chapman. A bit dark for my personal tastes but the pickup itself is top notch.

1 Like

I only have three, 4 strings, 5 strings and only one 6 string, lol.

2 Likes

Yep, but the math works out more accurately when you multiply 3, 4 and 5 by the number of necks associated with each string config. :rofl:

1 Like

Not sure the PJ Blades are exactly the same as the Zen Blades, but I do love their sound. A little bit darker than the stock MEC Dynamic Compression pickups (which were fine, but maybe a bit heavier on the mids).

1 Like

Thatā€™s what I told my wife, what? I only have fenders and Musicman, the rest are imports, :joy: some are German and a couple of Brits

1 Like