New amp modeler (and tone capture?) pedal - ToneX

Wow… I thought this just got released??? How could you already get it as used??

I think this is confusing indeed. I guess it is a modeller, which also gives you access to a software that lets you profile, and access to a community to share those profiles to be used on the modeller… I guess…

1 Like

Hihi I meant the Boss IR200. :sweat_smile: Was replying to jacq.

2 Likes

Pretty sure this is a modeller which has associated profiling software (IK ToneX) that lets you make your own models. In actuality I like that better than the Kemper or Quad Cortex method; this allows for cheaper hardware and more flexible software.

I would rarely if ever use the profiler so it’s much nicer for me this way. A modeller which can easily download more models? Yes please.

3 Likes

Yep, that is pretty much my take as well :smile:

I don’t think I would ever personally profile/capture myself, but being able to download, e.g., a Darkglass pre-amp profile and try it out sounds very interesting. Along with having three different scenes (clean, boosted, slightly OD’d on a separate amp, or whatever) always at hand is also quite convenient (no need to get an effects switching system with the few effects I tend to use).

3 Likes

@joergkutter I’m trying one out. So far I’m pretty impressed with the quality of the device and tones.

4 Likes

Oh, nice, that is pretty cool! Looking forward to learning more about your impressions.

I was in the States last weekend and asked around for it, but neither Pitbull Audio nor Guitar Center had one in their stores, and they both said that hadn’t even been able to get one yet at all.

3 Likes

By the way, I learned that one indeed needs a little extra hardware if one wants to take a profile (like a re-amp box or similar).

Also, the software that is included when you buy the pedal (which is a large part of what makes this thing attractive) is NOT transferable when you decide to sell the pedal again.

So, there is that.

2 Likes

Good thing I already decided to keep it :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Yes, I guess I also wouldn’t be too bothered by this… but, some people will for sure.

Where did you get yours? Are there many bass-relevant captures to be downloaded yet?

2 Likes

Got mine from the local shop who had 20 in stock. Already sold out. Same deal with Thomann. Seems I was lucky!

It’s kinda cool you have separate stomp and amp models. So you can also combine a stompbox with an amp or just select a stomp only (hello Swedish death metal). It has quite some options for bass. For example there are at least a dozen models for Darkglass, Ampeg, GK, etc.

So far I’m really impressed with the unit and platform, because the tone models you pick sound exactly like the real deal. I tested some juicy vintage presets with amazing low-end. Tweaking a preset can be a little bit tricky depending on the model/preset.

You do need a computer and the software running if you wanna setup your pedal properly.

I already made the switch from amp to amp in a box pedals. This seems perfect for me!

4 Likes

And all those models can also be used as plug-ins for, e.g., Logic, right?

Seems like a really nice piece of equipment to own :wink:

3 Likes

Affirmative. Just tested Tonex in Ableton as a vst plugin. You can use the pedal as a high quality (24-bit, 192 kHz) audio interface too. Not entirely sure if you can use the pedal DSP in your DAW.

For sure! I have been selling gear for a while now, feels good to buy a nice piece of gear again. Might even sell my UAFX guitar amp sim pedals in favor of this pedal.

3 Likes

Sounds very impressive. What are you listening through?

3 Likes

This thing is pretty much most of what I want from a Quad Cortex. Minus the UI.

I would probably still get the QC (as I would only need this for live play and for that I’ll need more than one channel, as we would put my bandmate’s guitar through too). But this thing looks like an awesome buy.

3 Likes

The QC is a different beast. The fact that you have channels, multi-effects and a zillion routing options makes it a great all-in-one solution. What ToneX made appealing for me was that it also included a copy of AmpliTube5 which I wanted to try out too. :wink:

For a tone junkie this is fine and you can still use pedals in front of it. It would have been perfect if it had a fx loop… The models sound a lot more authenticate compared to the Spark mini, but the Spark is still nice because it has an integrated speaker and it runs on a rechargeable battery.

Mainly studio headphones, but I also got a small and big stereo keyboard speaker from Roland. The big one can go insane loud!

3 Likes

Amplitube 5 is great.

2 Likes

Here’s a deal for you @howard enter to win a Radial Engineering Reamp. Then take the value of that win and put it towards a Tonex pedal :sunglasses:

1 Like

So win/sell/buy? hmm :slight_smile:

Then again I wouldn’t really use the ToneX, just because it’s so easy to amp sim. @terb could try this though :slight_smile:

Did you try the tonex plugin? Not sure if it is part of Amplitube’s package.

1 Like

True but Amplitube’s models are fantastic.