New amp

Hey,
Im on a lookout for new amp. I have this crappy Lirevo B10 should be 10-15w with 6.5 inch speaker.
I was okay with it until recently I tried some 12 inch yamaha at studio where I practice with buddies weekly. I couldnt believe sounds my 150$ bass can actually produce, especially when i thumped it.

So I know J recommended Rumble 40 10 inch, but there are none of those at my place. I only have 15, 25 and 100 options. Otherwise Id have to import.

Now Im awaiting arrival of MIM Mustang, and i feel it would be shame to use that bass on this crappy amp.

Does anyone has experience with rumble 25? Will I get proper sound out of it?
Are there any other good home cheapish amps I could try to look for?
Would it be worth extra money to import rumble 40?

P.S. I need it just for home. And would be good to get recommendations of brands that are available in EU.

5 Likes

How does the price of an imported Rumble 40 compare to a Rumble 100 that you can buy locally?

2 Likes

the best choices in the Rumble range are the 100 and 500 in my opinion. the 100 has very nice specifications for a more-than-correct price tag. (and the 500 combo has an incredible power/specs/weight ratio)

4 Likes

Imported 40 should be around 373$ including delivery, import taxes and VAT.
While 100 costs 486$ at my place which is a bit steep for me at this point since Im still paying for Mustang.

Edit: And 25 is 200$.

1 Like

In that price range you are listing I would check out some of the Thomann stuff, like Harley Benton. They make very quality products for absurdly cheap and have some amps.

The block 300b and a cab would sound better than a fender amp for around the same price.

4 Likes

Which part of EU are you from?

Thoman is delivering pretty solidly to many places

When I was shopping for an amp I considered GK amps very seriously. It is a national favorite in Italy…

I see that they are more expensive than Fender at the moment though…

2 Likes

Or a bundle like this
https://m.thomannmusic.com/harley_benton_solidbass_300h_bundle.htm?o=14&search=1615900306

That is likely better than Fender. All you are paying for in a Fender is a brand name.

2 Likes

Yeah already tried ordering Mustang from Thomann. They arent allowed to deliver Fender products to my place. Im from Bosnia.

2 Likes

I like that offer but I think its too much for apartment.

1 Like

Yeah those are steep indeed. I thought the price of the imported 40 would be closer to the locally available 100, and then you could have gone for the 100, but that does not seem to be the case.

By the way I too live in an apartment, and I have a Rumble 40, but I only ever use it with headphones. I sometimes feel that it was a fairly pointless purchase, and I should have gone with a much cheaper amp, or a headphone amp like the Vox Amplug.

3 Likes

Surprisingly it isn’t. Putting the volume low can get it to the same a volume a rumble would be turned up more. You can also use the headphone option. I’d go head and cab before combo any day of the week. And if you DO end up needing more volume for any reason it is there!

2 Likes

Hows the headphone output? My current amp basically has no sound till 95% then it comes up and aux in from pc overpowers it on 30% sound.

My apartment is not that big issue, theres good isolation so I can play without headphones, but not too loud to shake neighbours.

2 Likes

I don’t know on that specific model, but for that price point it’s worth it. If some volume won’t bug the neighbors just keep the master and gain knobs low on it and you will be fine.

1 Like

Yeah I hear ya, you dont have to use max output. But here are reasons I wouldnt get it atm.
Basically I use it just at home. At studio theres some big yamaha amp.
It takes more space. And it would cost me more cause after that payment i have to pay 10% import taxes then on that price 17% VAT.

I hope now you understand why its not my goto option.

2 Likes

Mine is at around 50% volume (with a passive bass)

2 Likes

Sure. They have combo amps for much cheaper on that site too though. There is nothing special about, nor wrong with a Fender Rumble (I have the 40). As a practice amp it isn’t really any better or worse than anything else.

2 Likes

Fender should be paying royalties to Josh for his recommendation of Rumble amps as it seems every other person on this forum uses them! :smile: Not pretending for one second to know more than Josh but to me, they are capable but nothing special. I use an Ampeg PF-500 with 112 cab which might be a bit of overkill for an apartment but they produce combos which (IMHO) are much better than Rumbles. This one, for instance, has a headphone socket and Aux-in making it perfect for playing along to music on the quiet but it also packs 75 watts into a 12" speaker and comes with scrambler overdrive for when the neighbours are on holiday. Ampeg arguably have far more heritage than Fender as far as bass amps go so it amazes me more people aren’t using them.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/ampeg_ba_112_v2.htm

6 Likes

My son has the Rumble LT25 and I think the sound it produces is more then enough for home practice. I personally like the sound of the Rumble 25. Josh recommends the 40 and I think that is a better option if you are planning to jam with your friends and want to push some air out of your speaker on the low frequencies.

I live in an old apartment complex so I can never turn my volume up. Even the 40 would be way too loud if I cranked it up. :sweat_smile: If I had to start all over I would probably just go without an amp and play on my computer with good monitors. :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

Thanks for recommendation I’ll check it out.

2 Likes

yeah, not really the same range :grin:

yeah but entry level Ampeg are really not that good in my opinion (I had the highest BA, 250w with the tube preamp ; I sold it last summer). even if I like the Ampeg tone, on that range I would go for a Fender Rumble and I can’t recommend an Ampeg BA.

3 Likes