New Ampeg SGT-DI Bass Preamp Pedal (versus ToneX?)

@JoshFossgreen @Gio

Can the ToneX and modeling posts in this thread be pulled out in to a new “ToneX Pedal” topic?

There is a lot of good information here but it seems like it’s getting burried in the wrong topic.

1 Like

Yeah that’s a good idea. Feel bad about this derailing this thread, the SGT is a good pedal as well.

1 Like

What about SGT for the lovely preamp tones and my Stomp for all the modulation effects after (Musitronics Mu-Tron® III etc) ? Hmm

There are none available here anyway, so my wallet is safe for now!

1 Like

I would’ve thought the HX Stomp would already be able to give you this or at least something very close.

Is it more about not having to work through the interface to get what you want?

That’s my main reason for sticking with traditional pedals. I want as little as possible between me and being able to make a change. I don’t want a computer or an interface I have to learn. I just want a knob.

Also, I like the tactile nature of playing with all the knobs, switches, cables, plugs, and velcro.

2 Likes

The Stomp is amazing. I’m just thinking out loud to quell my GAS. There is something to be said for not menu diving all the time though. Also that B15 sound from the pedal is really good. I think I’ll just wait until @John_E gets bored with his pedal and make him an offer :wink:

2 Likes

Don’t hold your breath, but you’d get such a deal on the VT Bass DI. lolol

3 Likes

2 Likes

You might prefer the VT Bass DI to the SGT, it’s a fantastic preamp

1 Like

Yeah, I really like the job the HX does on the B15 model, it does a pretty good impression of a tube amp but without the need to be in the “volume sweet spot” to get the desired tone.

The SGT-DI B15 tone also sounds great on the demos I’ve heard but not sufficiently so to give me GAS to add this behemoth to my pedal board.

2 Likes

One thing I don’t like on the SGT-DI, is the stacked pots. I much prefer one separate pot for one thing.

2 Likes

Should clarify - I loved my VT but honestly the SGT sounds better to me in demos. it’s definitely got a very Ampeg sound going in both the SVT and B15 modes. That said, the VT is also an amazing pedal with great versatility so it would make a great used buy too.

1 Like

But I want the new shiny thing @howard :sunglasses:

2 Likes

:+1:

1 Like

giphy

I already sold my VT on reverb. The people I play with say the SGT is the best pedal on my board.

3 Likes

That’s pretty high praise to have bandmates that take the time to notice and say something like that.
:sunglasses::+1:

3 Likes

Hey Eric! Seemed like there were too many posts referencing both topics, so I just went with a cheeky retitle, should still be searchable and the Ampeg pedal will just have to deal with its thread envy. :stuck_out_tongue:

6 Likes

That works for me. :slightly_smiling_face::+1:

We also have a topic for Tonex New amp modeler (and tone capture?) pedal - ToneX

4 Likes

Wow! What a thread! I participated in starting the discussion on the Ampeg SGT-DI and took a bit of time to look into the ToneX. Seems incredible to have access to so much with good quality for the same price as the Ampeg.
Personally I would go for SGT-DI because I would rather have simplicity/mobility and my favorite to amps are the B-15 and SVT. (I got to play on a 1967 Portaflex yesterday!!!)
But I can see the potential of the ToneX and how things are going in that direction.

2 Likes

Yeah there’s no doubt they are both great. I’d go for the ToneX, but the SGT-DI is one of the most ampeg-sounding preamps I have heard yet, very well done.

I think I still like the tone I had with my EBS ValveDrive more, but it’s close. The SGT is the first solid state preamp I like the tone I have heard online more than the VT Bass DI.

3 Likes