New Ariane Cap Fretboard book incoming!

I know there are a lot of Ariane Cap fans in this community from her music theory book/course. I was just on a video call with her (I’m taking her music theory course) and she said she has a new book coming out to pre-order on Indiegogo on Friday (I think it is released on the 30th of Apr) that she’s been working on for the past five years. She describes it as a follow up to her music theory book. She said the Indiegogo site will have things like spiral-bound, which might not be on Amazon, etc.

“The Pattern System for the Bass Player” by Ariane Cap and Wolfgang Wein

This concise guide leads the learner to attain superior familiarity with the fretboard. It achieves this by strategically dividing the bass into six areas and employing systematic practice regimens, challenging scalar drills as well as creative improvisation exercises. Powerful and precise instructions on how to practice using all senses, how to best utilize the metronome and how to incorporate mental training lead the learner to a deeper understanding of the patterns of music.

When I get the link on Friday, I’ll be sure and share it here.

12 Likes

I purchase her book "Music Theory for the Bass Player from Amazon and it was perfect bound. I just chopped the binding off and spiral bound it myself. Books like this are much easier to navigate when they’re spiral bound rather than perfect bound.
I’ll be interested to read your review of her new book.
Do know anything about the actual content and what it teaches? I aleady know my fretboard quite well, but I imagine it could be helpful for those who don’t.

6 Likes

No, I don’t know much more than that description I put in the post. I’m sure we’ll know more on Friday though when it goes on Indiegogo. Most stuff like that has a video and/or table of contents.

I wish my music theory book was spiral-bound. I don’t really have the tools to do that myself though. It’s annoying when the pages won’t stay in place though.

3 Likes

Do you have a major office supply store near you, like Staples or OfficeMax here in the US? They provide that service and don’t charge much for it. They have the equipment to whack off the perfect binding and then spiral bind it.
I just happen to have the giant cutter to cut the binding off, but had to take it to Staples for the spiral binding.

6 Likes

I don’t have anything like that near me, but there are some smaller independent print shops. I’ll shop around and see if any can do it for a reasonable price. Thanks for the idea!

3 Likes

While I understand why you did that, my heart skipped a beat. :joy:

7 Likes

I have lost all respect for physical media over the years. My reaction was “Yeah! Show that book who’s boss.”

5 Likes

7 Likes

Still haven’t got the music theory one yet and I really must

2 Likes

Give me digital and let me throw it on the big screen (where Josh is a frequent guest)

4 Likes

They do have an eBook for her main music theory book, so probably will for the new one too. Personally though, for stuff like this I like a physical book. Too many distractions for me on a digital device. I also mentally feel like I’m in a better learning mode when I’m dealing with a physical book, probably because when I was school age, there wasn’t much learning online.

5 Likes

When I was school age computers didn’t exist. I used to have a dozen bookcases overflowing with books; too much to move so I downsized

4 Likes

I have tried to eliminate all my physical books. Almost there.

2 Likes

@JT Have you posted anywhere with your opinion on the course?

2 Likes

Eliminate all physical books, eliminate all physical pedals? When are you going to upload yourself into the cloud? :stuck_out_tongue:

@eric.kiser I haven’t yet, because I’ve only just started about 10 days ago. I’m liking it so far, but it is hard work! Learning theory isn’t fun to me, but I know it will open up so many doors that I’m slowly wading through it. And there have been plenty of “aha” moments so far, which is nice. I’m doing the self-paced course and she does have a more rigorous classroom style one, but that was full when I signed up. I think they only do one of those a year or something. Anyway, when I get further into the course I’ll do a review.

5 Likes

Did anyone catch my post about Truefire in the ‘Beyond Badass’ threat. Ariane is a Truefire tutor and she has several interesting modules available on it.

4 Likes

@eric.kiser there are a few threads in which Ari is discussed and I have posted extensive comments about Music Theory for the Bass Player. I wish I could recall where they are.

As to digital books versus printed books… I have gotten to where I buy Kindle versions only of most books. However, this particular book has a lot of exercises, which lend themselves to reading from the music stand, thus a big reason why the spiral bound is better because it opens and lays flat on the stand.

4 Likes

There are various discussions about the book, but I don’t think I’ve seen any about the optional paid course. I think that’s what Eric was asking about as I’m currently doing it. Unless I’ve mis-understood you or him.

3 Likes

Maybe I just understood @eric.kiser

2 Likes

I just got her email this morning announcing the release of this book. It’s pricey at $45, but I’m sure well worth it. I’m going to go ahead and pre-order it.
Bass Players: Learn the Patterns of Music! | Indiegogo

5 Likes