New Ariane Cap Fretboard book incoming!

Correct on all counts @JT and @eric.kiser :blush:

3 Likes

So, I clicked on your link - signed up on IndieGoGo, but the “perks” are inactive and grayed out - I can’t click to preorder. Tried it on my phone first, but went to my Surface and got the same results. Any ideas on why the links to the perks aren’t active?

1 Like

Because the pre-sale is over. It ended about a month ago, and the pre-sale orders are already being shipped. You now have to order through traditional channels… I think it may be on Amazon by now, but you can also check on Ari’s website.

3 Likes

Thanks for the info!
I guess that means I’ve missed out on the spiral bound issue. Luckily, I have Staples and Office Depot stores nearby,…

3 Likes

Yeah, I had Ari’s first book spiral bound at Staples and it was very inexpensive.

3 Likes

She said they may still sell the spiral bound eventually. They sold spiral bound copies of her first book on Amazon. I just had mine bound like Pam did though for $6 or something.

4 Likes

$65 on Amazon, but it’s spiral bound. Will be here in about a week.

3 Likes

Is Ariane a member of this forum?

1 Like

Not that I’m aware of. She is a member of Mark Smith’s study group and vice versa, but I don’t know about here.

2 Likes

I am a big fan of Ari’s, but I have to say I am a little disappointed in this new book for a number of reasons.

1. Snow - the book is literally snowing all over the place from the spiral binding process. I have bought spiral bound books before and never had this happen. I would assume there is some sort of ‘dust/snow evacuation process’ that was not done.

2. Errata - logged back into the online video guide to find a new message in the first set of posts and a PDF of over 20 pages of corrections! Her note indicates that if you end up buying the book on Amazon, all these pages are corrected. So, us initial supporters, her biggest follower, get an book filled with errors that cannot easily be fixed, while others later get a good copy. I get a couple of mistakes, but 20+ pages?! She brushes this off as ‘this is normal’ and ‘these are not a big deal’. She also states she decided to make some changes when recording the videos…hmmm, too late. Why not record the videos before sending to the printer so you know everything is right and works. If you want to be a professional publisher of music instruction books, I think you need to do a better job. How many more will be discovered?

3. Missing videos - I know there are only 2 videos missing, but the very first one in the online couse is not up yet (coming soon, as well as video 3).

4. Not one I care much about, however, she has mentioned she messed up on charging the proper postage for international shipments and is now losing money on every book she shipped to outside of the USA, and, is now ‘kindly suggesting/asking’ folks to send her some money to make up for her mistake.

I would have rather waited a little longer for her to not rush this book, and give me a reference that is complete. Her book is not cheap, it should be right. Seems she rushed and cut some corners, and to ask folks to pay for her mistakes is not professional. Slow it down and dot your i’s and cross your t’s.

Not impressed.
Rant over.

8 Likes

The errata would be the biggest issue for me. I’m not bothered about the rest really. I haven’t received my book yet. Is the errata mostly typos or is it diagrams and such that need to be changed too?

4 Likes

Not sure, have not looked at the PDF in detail to compare

4 Likes

I’m in the same boat as you though. I’d happily have waited another 3 months or whatever to get a copy with less issues. Guess I’m just going to have to order some white-out and get ready to make some corrections.

4 Likes

I’m sorta glad I missed the pre-order. I ordered through Amazon at a $20 premium.

Ariane was a neighbor of Stu Hamm, my instructor/mentor, and I learned of her through him. He sent the Music Theory book to me and we worked through a bit of it.

Looking forward to checking out the videos…

3 Likes

And next time, now you know you should :slight_smile:

Bummer. I like her work but this sounds like she’s handling it kind of poorly. Asking for shipping kickbacks due to their own mistake is pretty bad, especially for an expensive item. Just eat the cost and move on.

4 Likes

Well, the main reason I pre-ordered was to get the spiral-bound copy and support her campaign. The spiral bound copies tend to not make it outside of Amazon US and with such a large book, I wasn’t sure if the little office shop near me could add a spiral. This stuff isn’t a major deal to me. Just a minor annoyance. I don’t regret my purchase.

5 Likes

Ugh. That does not sound promising.

Do you have a link for the errata. I’m not having any luck finding it on her site.

2 Likes

Definitely good to support her work, sure. Especially these days.

4 Likes

I’ve been so busy with other stuff, I haven’t even cracked open the book yet. I’ll open it later and shake it out to see if I get any snow.
The other stuff doesn’t bug me that much, and I’m still glad I supported her launch.
P.S. My wall chart is on the truck for delivery today. I still don’t have any shipping info on my shirt though.

4 Likes

My “shipping fulfillment” email indicated that my postage cost $5.13 - they charged me $8. Do I get a refund? :laughing:

(no, not a serious question…)

But, since I’m posting, the amount of errata kinda annoys me. Most printed materials have some - but I definitely feel that early adopters are getting the short end of the stick here. “Shoulda waited for Amazon” isn’t exactly the feeling I was going for when I decided to contribute to the campaign… But, c’est la vie - there are worse things in life.

4 Likes