New territory: singing while playing bass

OK, first of all, I dont sing. Never sang karaoke, dont sing at church, never was in choir as a kid, etc. Like a lot of people, i grew up singing in the car, that was it. While looking for songs to play in my 90s alt rock band, i found Inside Out by Eve6. I remembered it from back in the day and once i saw the music video, i realized the lead singer also plays bass. Somehow I got the idea to try and learn this. It sounded like it might be in my range, and rhe bass parts were not too complicated.

Well, after a lot of home practice, i finally got the nerve to roll it out last week at our monthly rehearsal.

I will say it feels like walking a tight rope with no net! My fingers are going and my old brain is somehow remembering the words at the same time. Terrifying and exhilarating at the same time. Definitely need some more rehearsals before i would attempt it in front of an audience though!

7 Likes

That’s fantastic, great job Lee!

I’m envious. I like playing bass, I love singing… I simply can not do both at the same time. That’s why I play 4-stringed tenor guitars. :grinning:

2 Likes

Awesome job! Your playing and singing are rock solid :+1: Keep it going, sounds like fun!

1 Like