Singing and playing instrument!

I have tried to sing a tune and play at the same time. I don’t think I am wired mentally that way. But, who are your favorite singers that also play an instrument (does not have to be a bass) I have two, Les Claypool because with the complicated lines he plays he still delivers on the vocals. Dave Mustaine…I would have said Hetfield also but Dave is a much better player and his vocals are so unique.

2 Likes

See also:

2 Likes

Young McCartney immediately springs to mind. Unbelievable singing while he plays super-tasty bass lines.

Sting also sang powerfully with the Police while playing arena-busting bass lines AND athletically jumping all over the stage.

Just two stellar examples. There are a lot more.

2 Likes

The forum fu is strong in this one.

3 Likes

I find it doable to “sing” while strumming chords on a guitar. With the bass, I rarely tried, but definitely awkward when playing fingerstyle.
I don’t think I have ever tried if playing with a pick improves multitasking, maybe somebody else did?

I’m not sure if Harris could keep up with the Dickinson vocals, but I’ve read somewhere that he replaced Di’Anno occasionally in their early days…

1 Like

I can’t sing though… Let alone while playing bass!

2 Likes

:rofl:

Yeah, but you can forum search to beat the band! :saluting_face:

2 Likes

1 Like

It’s the hands and finger motion for me. If I use my thumb to play and the index and middle as plugging the same way as guitar finger picking style, then I can play and sing no problem.

I guess the raking up motion really messed up your brain compares to the strumming or downward plugging motion. If I picture that I play like Sting almost the palm muting motion then I can do it.

I can sing along when playing guitars, piano, and drums no problems just not bass, and I have not figured out how to sing and play Baritone just yet, lol.

1 Like

I don’t sing,… and no one…. including my dog Griff - really ever wants me to…….

This is why I play bass……

Keep On Thumpin’!
Lanny

3 Likes

Les Claypool blows me away when he plays a really, really, really complicated fast line while doing vocals. His vocals tend to be super quick, more like scatting. I cannot comprehend the practice that it requires.

2 Likes

Two (completely different) favorites in this regard: Lowell George and josh home.

1 Like

Geddy Lee was the first one that sprung to mind for me.

4 Likes

I love to sing, problem is the rest of the world hates it. But also why playing bass is really throwing me off.

I’m going to stick with bass players.

Johnette Napolitano was great

Still is :slight_smile:

My fave:

1 Like