Next step up from a practice amp

Nice! Despite my misgivings for large combos, I love the Rumble series and the 500 seems a lot of bang for the buck.

2 Likes

My first thought is that looks extremely large and heavy for a 300W class D head they are billing as compact and ultra light.

Very cheap though. Gotta love Behringer.

@Vik That’s quite some bit of amp. I would like to hear what you think of it after you’ve had a chance to play with it some.

2 Likes

Beringer own TC electronic so probably a bit of influence from there
I think it is sized to fit in a rack

1 Like

Yeah I was quite surprised to learn that Uli had bought TC!

1 Like

Maybe yeah - but compare it to this G-K 500W head. It’s half the size and weighs half as much.

I also love the bright and punchy Gallien-Krueger sound, but yeah - (much) more expensive. 500GBP seems like an awful price for that though, I’ve even seen it here for much less. You should be able to get a used one for well under $400USD.

1 Like

I have a budget of about £500 for either a combo or a head and cab.
The guy in the music shop did say spend more on the head and pick up a second hand cab.
Too many options for me to make a choice at the moment.

When I was looking at 300-ish watt heads, this is the cab I was looking at:

https://www.thomann.de/gb/eden_ex112_8ohm.htm

Used they are less.

I try and buy only used gear so YMMV for new. But I think the guy in the store gave good advice. Spend more on the head and less on the cab. I don’t know about there but here lots of jam and practice places have their own cabs (quite a few have amps/PA’s too.)

1 Like

Never thought of Peavey but they have some great value gear
How about this Head and this Cab?

I seriously considered the 2x10 version of that cab, looks like a great bargain!

You realize the 4x10 weighs 40kg, right?

2 Likes

@howard Maybe a 2x10 then :grinning:

2 Likes

I don’t know if this link will work but this looks like a decent deal

3 Likes

You can’t go wrong with an ampeg imo (especially if you like vintage style tone). In my experience you will most likely not stick with your initial setup in the long run. I started with a simple/cheap bass head + cab and started to upgrade whenever I had the extra money. :wink:

tc electronic BAM200 – Thomann United States (129 euro) - I own this head as well and it sounds really good for its size and it is super portable. The Trace Elliot Elf is also very good but a bit more expensive. The BAM 200 is 200 watt at 4 ohms so you need a 4 ohms cabinet if you want output 200 watts. For example tc electronic BC208 Bass Cab – Thomann United States (169 euro) goes really well with that head but has 8 ohms, so the BAM will deliver about 75-100 watt in a 8 ohms cab. This is still really loud but the ohms is something you need to consider with a head + cab combo, so if you want 200 watt at 8 ohms you will need a head with more watt.

So that leaves you with 300 euros that you can also spend on a pre-amp or compressor pedals or save it for a bigger upgrade. :smiley:

For your 500 euro price-range I would personally recommend TC Electronic gear. You get a lot of value for your money imo. The BAM 200, BH250 or BQ500 are all good. I guess the real “pro” bass heads start at a 500+ euro price tag. All I can say was that I was pleasantly surprised with my TC BAM 200. :wink:

Good luck with your decision! You can’t go wrong with any of the suggestions in this thread.

3 Likes

Nice gear and I love the brand! I’ve read somewhere that the fan of that head is quite loud tho. Something to keep in mind :wink:

2 Likes

not all Ampeg are so good … but those mini SVT seems to be good enough for the price

1 Like

Good to know Terb! Yeah, it goes without saying that you should do a bit of research before you buy something. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I might have made a decision

Head Specifications

• AUX In: Yes
  • Channels: 1
  • Channel Controls: Gain, Enhance, Bass, Mid, Treble, 10-band Graphic EQ
  • DI Socket: Yes
  • EQ: 10-band Graphic (Switchable with FS-1)
  • Footswitch: FS-1 (Sold separately)
  • FX Loop: Yes
  • Headphone Socket: Yes
  • Inputs: 2 - Normal and High
  • Line In: 1.42 Jack
  • Line Out: Neutrik Hybrid Speakon/Jack Connector
  • Packed Dimensions (mm): 128 X 547 X 242
  • Power: 500 Watts RMS
  • Speaker Connections: Neutrik Hybrid Season/Jack
  • Dimensions (for Int. Case, mm): 74 X 410 X 211
  • Weight: 4.1 KG

Cab Specifications

• Power Handling 500 Watts RMS
  • Drivers: 2 X 10" Custom Drivers & Switchable Horn
  • Cabinet Impedance: 8 Ohms
  • Connector Inputs: 2 X Twist
  • Frequency Range: 50 Hz to 4 kHz (20 kHz with horn)
  • Dual Rear Ports: Yes
  • Orientation: Portrait or Landscape
  • Dimensions (mm): 576 X 435 X 400
  • Weight: 16.5 KG
7 Likes

Just ordered a new Laney amp and cab. It should be in Thursday
I got it through my local independent guitar shop who matched the online price of the big boys.

5 Likes

Curious to hear how it sounds. Have you tried it in the store?

I ask because it lists the cab frequency response low end at 50Hz. Low E is 40Hz and low B is about 30 for 5-strings.

2 Likes

@howard
Good point. The guy in the shop said this if I wanted to add to this later then add a 1x15 which I think goes down to around 35Hz.
So in a month or so I will add a 1 x 15 to go with the 2x10

4 Likes