Next step up from a practice amp

Do your amps thump and pop when you turn them on and off?
I’m just wondering if mine is normal or has issues.

1 Like

@Jazzbass19, I like the Rumble series too. Have you used the 100 in a band situation. Is it powerful enough to use with a band (non-metal band)?

3 Likes

@infra Yes

1 Like

No, not yet :slight_smile:

It makes a great practice amp and would probably work very nicely for a gig in a small venue.

Cheers, Joe

3 Likes

New amp in place. 2x10 on the bottom with my wife’s amp in the middle and the R500H on top.
I am really impressed with the sound and no problems with the low E
I will record a loop and then post a knob twiddling video later

8 Likes

:thinking::face_with_raised_eyebrow:

4 Likes

Nice. It’s a cool looking amp. I like the mid scoop you have dialed in on the EQ too :slight_smile:

They may have been being conservative with their frequency response numbers on the cab.

2 Likes

DAMN!

2 Likes

@PeteP I record a loop with the pedal which repeats and then I can twiddle with all the knobs to hear what effect it has on the sound

2 Likes

@howard I was talking to someone about this. It is something to do with the agility of the 10" speakers allowing them to cope with lower frequencies.
I was going to add a 1x15 to this settup but he said hold your horses until you have had a chance to experiment

3 Likes

you definitly can have a great bass tone with only 10" speakers. I’ve already done that and I’m not at all an exception :grin:

3 Likes

Only?
It seems to me that most pro’s prefer 10’’ due to the tighter more punchy sound you can get out of them.
I’m no expert by any stretch, but from what I’ve read, the bigger the speaker, the more unclear and muddy the sound gets.

4 Likes

it depends, some pro’s use 10" with one amp set for the high frequencies and bigger speaker(s), typically 15" but sometimes 18" or even 21" with another amp set for the very low end. Caleb Scofield used to do this and his bass tone was awesome.

also some amps have two separate integrated power amps for this purpose, with a crossover filter. it’s the case for example of the GK 800RB.

but again it’s not mandatory, 10" only can sound pretty fine !

2 Likes

At totally the other end of the scale, are you aware of the Phil Jones gear?
He only uses 5’’ speakers (of his own design) and his bigger equipment just uses more of them.
The first time I became aware of them, I saw a guy use a Phil Jones Breifcase amp at an open mic., and before he started playing I thought he had to be joking, but the sound out of them compared to the size is incredible.

2 Likes

looks pretty cool indeed

2 Likes

There’s quite a range of different equipment.
I’ve not read or seen a bad review of any it.

https://www.pjbworld.com/cms/index.php/products/

2 Likes

Definitely nothing wrong with 10” speakers in general. My concern was the spec for the Laney cab bottomed out 10Hz above the open E string. Sounds like they were being conservative.

4 Likes

I play through 12s. It seems to be the best of both worlds to me. I gig a lot but not a paid pro. My $.02.

3 Likes

Hi all,

I found a used Ampeg 210 near me for sale for $200. Trying to find out if it’s still available, how old it is, and why the guy is selling it. As most of y’all know, I’m a new player and bought a Fender Rumble 40 (which I like) but want something more already (even though I won’t be playing in front of anyone anytime soon).

Would love your thoughts…

UPDATE It is still available. The guy says it’s a year and a half old; he is in his 60’s and needs to sell it. Guess I’ll go give it a listen unless you guys think different?

1 Like

If it’s this one? That’s a great deal.
https://www.guitarcenter.com/Ampeg/BA210V2-2x10-Bass-Combo-Amplifier.gc?rNtt=ampeg%20bass%20amp&index=5

1 Like