Next step up from a practice amp

That is the one. I have read good and negative reviews about the Ampeg BA-210.

I am going to go look at it, play it, see that everything works, and if so, I will grab it.

1 Like

Got it!! New (to me) Ampeg BA-210.

Thanks @eric.kiser who gave me some input. Wish the neighbors in the apartment next door didnā€™t have kids close to bed, Iā€™d try it a little higher than ā€œ2ā€ on the volume knob.

6 Likes

@JDDaniel now thatā€™s a sweet combo. I just read the specs and that is some jump from your 40wā€¦nothing beats a big sound :loud_sound: behind you but a wee bit higher than two on the knob :rofl: :guitar:
Jamie

1 Like

Thanks!

2 Likes

I was extremely disappointed by the Trace Elliot Elf head with the matching 10" cabinet. The head has a noisy fan that runs constantly and is annoying at low practice volumes, and the overall combination just didnā€™t sound very good to my ears. The last straw was when the head stopped working after a few weeks of very light use. Now Iā€™m in the process of returning it all.

On a more positive note, I also have a GK MB112-II, which I love very much and highly recommend. :heart:

3 Likes

Hello everyone,

I chose to revive this thread because itā€™s exactly what I am considering at the moment.

My current amp is a 40 W 1x12" IMG Stageline Pro, which is great for practicing at home. At work, there is a small cover band which might bring a drum kit because Iā€™m bringing my bass. :grin: This is why I am thinking about an amp head in the 200 to 300 W range at 4 Ī©.

It would also enable me to get a nice cab at home and at work, and even combine them for a gig. However, there is a keyboarder who has access to a PA, and I can maybe borrow a 500 W Pro Fet Amp with a Warwick 4x10 cab. :smiling_imp:

Now, I searched for an amp head and found the Trace Elliot Elf or the Warwick Gnome. The problem is that these probably have a noisy fan which would drive me crazy at home (the Elf has one and the Gnome seems to be the same amp). I donā€™t know if the TC electronic BAM200 has that issue, or the BQ250. :hear_no_evil:

The larger amps, like the TC electronic Thrust BQ500 or similar might have a controlled fan, which would switch on after a while. That might be acceptable, but I might as well keep the IMG at home then. :man_shrugging:

So, do you have recommendations for an amp head between 200 W and 500 W? Should I get a fancy DI and try to work through the PA?

Many thanks in advance!
Cheers,
Antonio

PS: I am eagerly awaiting my Arturia Minifuse 2, by the way. :smile:

1 Like

I thought it was pretty silent but I never stress tested it. I think the Gnome and Elf should be on similar levels?

The Ampeg VB mini amp was quite noisey and I didnā€™t like the noise when the Aguilar head started to cool.

1 Like

That was very interesting. Iā€™d never heard of this company or these products. (The host guy was so hilarious the way he kept leering at the camera!)

You still using this one? Curious how you got on with it as time passed.

Thanks @Paul, itā€™s surprisingly hard to find a review of the actual use of these little amps. Commercial reviewers just plug in a bass, play and donā€™t even consider fan noise. And I guess it is hard to point something out if it doesnā€™t happen for amp XYZ, as some of these might be quiet.

Trace Elliot Elf fan noise: YouTube

If anyone has a 200W mini amp head and would care to record the sound of the cooling fan, youā€™d make my day. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

FYI TC Electronic BAM200 Fan Noise - Amps and Cabs - Basschat

1 Like

Thanks a lot, @Paul, thatā€™s exactly what I wanted to hear. The amp in the link was faulty, so it made a noise. The article that they linked stated that the BAM 200 is largely quiet in a practice setting.

Lots of other reviews there that Iā€™ll check out. And I know I should drive to the local Musicstore to test a few amps, too. :smiley:

2 Likes

My only recommendation is get one with a DI out. other than that I got a darkglass 500 microtubes, but kinda wish I got this random tube amp. https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/BV1001T--bugera-veyron-t-bv1001t-2000w-bass-amp-with-tube-preamp

1 Like