NOOB QUESTION(s) - Daily Storage of Your Basses

Ok, most of you know I am a noob, but I feel safe here with the @bassbuzz family.

So, my questions are…

How do you store your bass(es) if you are playing them on a regular basis?

Do you put it back in the hard-shell case?

Do you put in on a stand?

I have the hard-shell case that my bass came in, but I also bought a two guitar Hercules stand (before I asked this question). I just want to do right by my bass. Thanks in advance!!

3 Likes

It may not be the “right” thing to do but since the environmental conditions stay pretty constant in my house, I just leave mine on a stand. Ready to pick up and play.

7 Likes

Thanks. Yeah, I wonder with the humidity. I will see what everyone says, do some google searches and then decide. I wanted it close for playability (thus the stand purchase) but if it is better keeping it in more of a climate friendly environment in the case, I will do that.

5 Likes

Environmental changes really don’t hurt them unless the changes are extreme. At the worst, I just have to tune a bit before I play. If your going to store them for a long time then de-tune them a bit.

6 Likes

I second @Gorch‘s reply. I would however emphasize that if there may be a chance that any of your instruments could be knocked over, then you might consider wall hangers - I use both since I typically play my bass’s more than my acoustic or electric guitars, my bass’s are on stands, and my 6 strings are on the wall.

If I ever do put any of my instruments inside of a case for either transport or long time storage, I do loosen all of the strings…

Good Luck, Have Fun, and
Keep on Thumpin’!
Lanny

6 Likes

Thanks @Lanny. We are in a rental situation now (while working in NY) but when we eventually move back to our home state (TEXAS) and buy another house, I will hang them on the wall for all to see. :smiley:

5 Likes

I have a hard shell case for each of my basses if I want to transport or store them, @JDDaniel

Otherwise they are both sitting on guitar stands within easy reach . . . :slight_smile:

Cheers, Joe

4 Likes

Thanks @Jazzbass19. I will keep her out on the stand so she is within easier reach and I can jam quickly. BTW - just posted a pic of them on the “Show Us Your Basses” thread.

5 Likes

A GREAT state indeed!

7 Likes

Another one leaving it on a stand here :raised_hand_with_fingers_splayed:t2:

I practice in the outdoor area at the front of our place ( it’s comfy with an outdoor setting,comfy swivel chair for mr,lighting,gas patio heater and electricity of course)
Never really considered the humidity effect until now though :scream:

5 Likes

Thanks @Mac.

4 Likes

@JDDaniel ,no worries

3 Likes

Very, very humid here in middle Georgia @Mac… So much so that I rarely play outside, and only when I’m looking for that atmosphere for a cover - even then, I’m only out just long enough to make the recording… Humidity is a killer down here!!:sweat_smile::sweat_smile:

Keep on Thumpin’!
Lanny

4 Likes

Yeah, the weather here in Tokyo is pretty extreme. In winter, it is cold and dry to the point of needing to run humidifiers to avoid cracked dry skin, etc.

In the summer it is hot and literally 99%+ humidity, and you have to run the air conditioners all the time.

Through all that I just leave my basses out on their stands with no ill effects. I need to adjust the truss rod monthly or so, but that’s easy.

4 Likes

And I thought it was bad here in Norfolk . . . :slight_smile:

Thanks . . . you guys make me feel cooler already! :wink:

4 Likes

Summer here is basically hell :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I leave both my basses and my guitar on a stand in my den. There’s no reason to put them in a case unless I am taking them somewhere.

6 Likes

LOL come spend a summer here in Phoenix @howard

And it’s not even summer yet

5 Likes

Heat Index is such a bitch. According to this chart:

https://www.weather.gov/arx/heat_index

100 and 70% “feels like” 144F. It’s routinely worse than that here (more like 99%), but that’s bad enough for me :slight_smile:

Phoenix hits about 120 right? I think I remember it can get a bit humid there too, which surprised me. That’s gotta suck.

4 Likes

It gets only slightly humid during monsoon season in July, but mostly it’s extremely dry. We run humidifiers in our house 24/7/365

3 Likes