Off topic..who is stoked to see Dune?

From what I hear the first movie only barely gets up to where Paul meets Chani, right? So the best parts are still to come.

Now what I want to see is someone effectively shoot Dune: Messiah, which I think is an even more interesting story. Villeneuve says he is planning it now.

1 Like

Yep, the film ends with Paul and Jessica joining Fremens on the way to their Sietch.

I saw Villeneuve actually say in an interview that he would like to end Dune as trilogy with Messiah as the third film.

" In fact, he’s even mapped out a plan for a “Dune” trilogy that will include an adaptation of Herbert’s 1969 sequel novel “Dune Messiah.” As he explained to CBC Radio Canadavia Collider — he and screenwriter Jon Spaihts are already at work on the sequel, and Villeneuve still has plenty more “Dune” stories to tell. "

1 Like

Excellent.

1 Like

This can be LOTR of this generation. And although I really enjoyed Peter Jackson’s take on Tolkien, high fantasy never was my cup of tea like sci-fi is.

I am so happy. :smiley:

3 Likes

Ending it with Messiah makes a lot of sense too. The jump to Children of Dune would lose everyone that hadn’t read it. Hell, it loses lots of people that HAVE read it, lol.

And Messiah is just such a good book about the realities of power.

1 Like

I can see this point. :smiley: I can imagine that they lay down lore for Messiah in the second movie. (Although I have no clue how they will do it.) … In the first film there’s almost no explanation of many core players in the Universe (Bene Gesserit, Spacing Guild, Mentats, Landsraad, Tleilaxu) which have to be explained for Messiah to work.

But I cannot imagine that they would be able to lay the groundwork for Children of Dune. But, tbh. I will just sit and wait and hope that Villeneuve and co. will surprise us with pure cinematic genius.

1 Like

I guess it’s really God Emperor of Dune where the big jump happens. You could potentially combine Messiah and Children but it would take like three movies to do it anyway.

1 Like

For me it was even like: The soundtrack annoyed me at times. I never ever felt before that the sound in a cinema was too loud, but with Dune, I exactly had that feeling. But well, maybe it was also that this time the guy at the volume knob really put it on 11.

I kinda need to see it again with the volume at a more reasonable level, maybe.

1 Like

I was a bit meh about the film but I caught this clip and now I’m definitely up for it. This is probably going to sound pretty incredible in a cinema …

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00nnKL87EwE

1 Like

This is actually what happens in the movie.

2 Likes

Oh that has totally ruined the immersion now lol :laughing:

1 Like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QF0FhQ770Eg&ab_channel=NerdCookies

I can continue forever. :smiley:

2 Likes

How do you tell the story without the Bene Gesserit?

I mean the goal of the BG was to produce the messiah figure in the Kwitsatz Hadarach through a breeding program, with the daughter of Duke Leto giving birth to a son with Feyd.

But Jessica knowingly gave birth to a son, Paul, so the Kwitsatz Hadarach came a generation early. And that’s the fulcrum of the storyline. So how can it be missing?

It’s like telling LOTR without the ring.

I haven’t seen it so clearly I’m missing something.

The BG is featured prominently in the movie, and specific mention is made of the breeding program and Jessica’s design to have a boy.

{edit}: As a book reader, I may have a skewed view on this. There was enough in the movie that I thought it was clear what was going on, but I can see how a non-book reader could be a bit confused as there is a lot thrown around in the dialogue that you need to piece together–which makes sense if you know what you are looking for.

1 Like

It’s not like Bene Gesserit are missing in the movie. However, the amount of expossion and explaining of BG in the movie is quite minimal. Most of BG lore is just glossed over (Voice, Weirding way, MIssionara Protectiva etc. etc. ) I totally understand why Villeneuve decided to not to do lines and lines of exposion on BG, Spacing Guild, Lansraad etc. .

However, without further/deeper explanation of these factions, Messiah cannot work well.

2 Likes

I thought I might be the only one - or just becoming an old curmudgeon - but yes - there were about a half dozen times the sound was so loud that it completely pulled me out of the film. Brief effects into that volume range would have been one thing - but these were entire sequences that were just too loud to be comfortable.

We’re not the only ones who think so. Entire Reddit thread devoted to Dune volume issues.

2 Likes

That scene’s a bit Hand of Saruman, though, isn’t it?

1 Like

Yeah. You start to get deep into just how powerful and manipulative of galactic politics the BG is in the second and third books. Dune touches on it quite a bit but you really see it later.

1 Like

Well, IIRC Dune (the first book) never actually shows Salusa Secundis, just mentions it, so yeah…

1 Like

I found the sfx were too loud and the dialogue too quiet