Offered a trade and I’d appreciate some input please

I’ve recently just not been playing my Warwick Thumb bass so I’ve put it out there to see what interest there might be in a trade.
So I’ve been offered the following and would appreciate your thoughts:

1/ 1982 fender P bass MIA
Immaculate but I’d have to add a further $600
2/ 1993 musicman stingray
Immaculate and a straight trade
3/ 2010 Warwick $$ nt ltd
Very very tidy and again a straight swap

There might also be a 1978 fender jazz in the mix

HELP!!!

2 Likes

Wow, I can’t wait to see how this turns out

2 Likes

Sadly, help might not be possible.
Are you looking for a deal or a bass you will play?
If the latter, then personal taste prevails.

If I was choosing, for me, it would be the Fender Jazz, assuming it’s MIA. But mainly cause I don’t have one and don’t dig Warwicks. And if I was going to get a vintage MIA Fender it would be a jazz.

2 Likes

I’m leaning toward the jazz @John_E as a sort of tribute to Joe ( jazzbass19)

4 Likes

Personally, I would probably also go for the Jazz, but is there a chance you can play some of those basses before finalizing the deal??

I am (again, personally) still waiting for that day when a P wows me enough to make me want to own it… so, I would probably at least want to try the P bass.

Good luck!

4 Likes

The musicman and p bass are owned by the same guy who coincidentally bought the Rickenbacker from me so , yes , I reckon I would be able to try them out @joergkutter
The Warwick is pretty much the same as the other 3 I own and I did previously own a Corvette Standard. To be honest I reckon that’s at the bottom of the list atm.
I’m really torn between the other three

3 Likes

Well, unless you are really having a hard time letting go of the Thumb (which I don’t think is the case, @Mac !?), then you could just pick any one of your options and test/enjoy it, and if you don’t like it at all, then that bass can move on, and you find something else at that time.

I know, we often think I shouldn’t get this or that bass in order not to get “stuck with it”, but just think of it as borrowing one for a while and then letting it move on :wink:

3 Likes

Thumb + 600 seems really steep for a MIA P-bass. I’d try and negotiate that one. Thumbs aren’t super common.

3 Likes

That’s what I think too @howard .
This guy is a bit of a wheeler dealer as in he makes a tidy income from buying and selling basses so his prices are always up there.
The P is absolutely immaculate but I don’t know if I want to give the extra he’s asking

2 Likes

I wouldn’t, personally. I’d offer him a straight trade for the Thumb and see what he said.

Especially considering how old the Fender is. It’s not like 1982 is a special year - it’s just old.

3 Likes

I would keep the thumb :laughing:

4 Likes

Okay so a couple of spanners have been thrown in the works.
The P bass was sold today.
The guy with the jazz bass wants $1000 on top!
Yeah, no.
I’m going to have a look at the MM but no real plans to get rid of the Thumb now.
That is unless I really like the Stingray

4 Likes

I think I’d trade someone else …

4 Likes

A '78 Fender Jazz could easily be a junkheap. The lawsuit guitars ate Fender and Gibson’s lunch back then for a reason.

That said it could also be awesome, but not Thumb + $1k awesome.

A MIG Thumb in good shape can go for a lot more than the typical Jazz or P-bass. These trade offers are crazy.

6 Likes

That’s an insult!

6 Likes

There are some utter crackhead prices on '70s J-basses on Reverb. Like, no thanks, I’ll take a new MIA custom shop instead. Often for less.

Some of the worst manufacturing in US history, across multiple sectors, was done in the mid to late '70s :rofl:

4 Likes

I wouldn’t know how to navigate in the vintage Fender area… which is why I’d stay away and rather use my money on modern (re-)interpretations.

I am still hoping for my own “my grand-aunt has a bass in her attic, which turns out to be a mint 64 Jazz and she has no idea what it is” moment, though :grin:

7 Likes

honestly, i would just sell the thumb for whatever market price is and use those funds to get whatever you like.

10 Likes

That is probably the best option.
The biggest drawback for me with it is that organising shipping from here is an absolute nightmare ( no courier companies will deliver or collect from my location)and we’re enough of a distance from civilisation to make collection a bit prohibitive for most people

4 Likes

Find a nice music store with expensive instruments and sell it on consignment? Will take time but fixes your problem

5 Likes