Offered a trade and I’d appreciate some input please

Yeah nothing special about that vintage. @Mac got pictures of any or all? Especially that’s when they are going to Japan and eventually in awe of the quality of Mij craftsmanship. Pretty much it was when CBS was having trouble with production.

Of course older fender p bass can sell at just about any time at a decent price.

75-76 I know from experience is a special year for jazz bass, it’s when they move the bridge pickup closer to the bridge, super funky tone. The necks are also binded at least on the natural finish. Not sure about 78 but pictures would help.

Yoyo on the Warwick, I don’t know enough to make this kind of decision, lol.

Seriously pictures worth 2472 words.

4 Likes

64 Jazz, drooling. Does it have the vol/tone, vol/tone setup? I’d kill for that, lol.

4 Likes

@Mac 93 stingray can be very nice if the have flamed maple neck and Flea bridge(mute bridge).

2 Likes

I thought Warwicks are rare and very wanted in the US? At least that is the feeling I get when I look at Reverb

1 Like

Haha, tell you what… if I stumble on one in my grand aunt’s attic, you’ll get first rights… after I check you for weapons :rofl:

6 Likes

60’s Fender is like a Les Paul, you can sell it at anytime regardless of the current economy.

5 Likes

They are not that rare, but they probably cost more than they do in Europe because sellers in the U.S. wrap in the duties/taxes into the price.

4 Likes

I’m no expert on Warwick prices. I have a few friends who live in Germany, I asked them to buy and ship a Magura mountain bike brakes set for me since they are made in Germany, we’ll not what I thought. They were more expensive and harder to find than it was here in the US. Plus the suspension fork has different warranty than here.

Back in the 90s I was in Osaka, Japan, I was shopping for a few toys, I was told that toys were cheaper for tourists than locals as Japanese do not want to promote the idea of their young minds with toys, seriously?

3 Likes

I didn’t start coming here until 2002 but that sounds like BS to me. At least in Tokyo; Osaka is more old school.

I mean, this place is a classic:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g1066456-d4302132-Reviews-Kiddy_Land_Harajuku-Shibuya_Tokyo_Tokyo_Prefecture_Kanto.html

There’s also an entire district of Tokyo that historically specializes in making dolls.

3 Likes

Lol, it was a few bucks and it was eccentric enough to be believable. Mind you everything seems more expensive especially Sushi.

1 Like

I loved Osaka when I visited. The temple and feeding the deer in the park was insane

Here’s the Stingray

4 Likes

Looks sweet, Mac. Ya oughta play it first, though.

2 Likes

I love it. I have that exact same setup before on both stingray and ebmm sterling. The serial number is at the bridge not the neckplate. Outrageous neck. Play it, if you like it it’s a keeper for sure. You can swap out the pickup to be a little less hot but keep the original till if/when you sell this and put back the original.

This stingray should hold value pretty well. What’s the street price for your Warwick? There are enough love for these to keep the value up.

3 Likes

Most places you can get better Sushi than most in LA or SF for 100¥/plate of nigiri :slight_smile:

Tourists get taken to upscale places usually; the average guy eating sushi lunch is getting out of there for like $10-15

Osaka could be different though!

1 Like

$3200-$3500 aud @Al1885

3 Likes

Yowsa! That’s a lot of simoleons!

You ought to be able to make a very good trade with the right person.

2 Likes

Exactly - straight trade for the P would have been a bargain for the other guy, and the silly Jazz offer is just LOL no.

You can see used MIG Thumbs go in the $4K range, depending on build level.

Selling on consignment in the right shop would be my play here if you cannot ship it.

4 Likes

Wow, don’t do it. A $3500 1993 musicman stingray would have to be built and inspected and QC then send through a time machine to today to worth that much or play/owned by Pino, flea or Tony, lol.

That’s the next tier of bass. Sandberg, custom shop Fender, etc.

5 Likes

@Mac

@itsratso said it best. Sell it, hold on to the money and buy something that you really want when it lands in your hand. If you are not sure which bass catches your eye then they probably are not going to be that special to you in the long run. Not to mention, like @howard and others stated, those trades and not worth it.

I am currently letting go of my Warwicks too. Too much money tied up in some thing that can be replaced with some really great basses at a much more modest price. To me anyhow. I just picked up a Charvel like @Wombat-metal got (thanks for inspiration mate) and that means the Streamer is on the chopping block. I prefer playing the Ibanez SR600e, so the Thumb will go too. My Taranis is not getting much love lately so maybe its time to cash in.

Some people find a bass or 2 that covers all their needs like @howard. I am still waiting to find that special one (even though I am a bit of a collector) and I hope you find yours. But whatever you do don’t settle for a trade. Get the money and wait for that big fish to bite the line.

Best of luck mate.

4 Likes

@Mac I can only echo what everyone else said. Those people have unreasonable expectations. I wouldn’t take any of those deals. The used market is out of control with some of this.

I wouldn’t bother with any 1970’s Fender basses. The manufacturing was too unpredictable. I also didn’t like the change to the bridge pickup. During that time, they had moved the bridge pickup closer to the bridge to give it an even more ‘quacky’ sound. Since then, they only do this on jazz basses where they are specifically emulating a 70’s bass.

If you’re interested in checking out the jazz bass sound but not sure if it’s what you want. You could get an inexpensive squire and swap the pickups for some really good ones. That way, if you decide it’s not for you, you can swap the original pickups back in and sell it all to get most of your money back.

Also, I would stay away from the noiseless jazz pickups (at least, at first). In my experience, the noiseless pickups lose some of what makes the jazz bass sound so special.

Good luck @Mac. I hope a good deal comes your way.

5 Likes