Old_Noob's bass build thread

After much procrastination and double checking measurements, I went ahead and did the neck route today. Never did anything like this before.

Managed to do ok on the neck route except I got excited pulling out and my bit gouged the body. Hope the 3 marks will buff out otherwise I will just relocate the pickup to cover the marks.

8 Likes

This looks incredibly fun. How did you join the wood pieces together? How even did they match up before sanding?

2 Likes

Bob Ross used to call these things “happy accidents” (not mistakes) . . . :wink:

If the marks don’t sand out, maybe you could engrave something in there as a decoration? Who knows? Possibilities are there! :thinking:

Cheers
Joe

4 Likes

Marks just add character. Looking real good

3 Likes

Purchased the block. It appears to be glue/pressure joined.

3 Likes

Where from?

1 Like

Ebay. It started out being fun. Right now its a good break from doing office work on the weekend, but is very nerve -racking because I am just learning as I go. But I at least managed to do the first major piece of woodworking.

1 Like

So impressed. Looking forward to seeing how it goes.

1 Like

Might I suggest buying a cheap piece of lumber from Home Depot and practice a cut there first? Or first, second and third?

This would give you experience with the router.
BTW, you are much braver than I, my hands are not steady.

What did you use as a template (you used a template right? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

Might I suggest buying a cheap piece of lumber from Home Depot and practice a cut there first?

You see lumber prices these days? Besides, go big or go home. And yes I used a router template. I did in fact do a practice cut on some old scrap wood, which is when I tore up my first template and learned there are things called routing bits with guide bearings on the top.

4 Likes

I solved this whole routing issue by having a friend with a wood shop in his basement.
It is like my philosophy about boat ownership…have a friend wtih one instead.

5 Likes

Not sure where you are but if you happen to be around the kentucky,ohio, indiana trifecta border I might be able to help…

1 Like

Frozen tundra

1 Like

My advice would be to fill gouges with colored wood putty close to wood color (not glue/sawdust mix). Sand it down then use colored pens to approximate grain pattern before putting your finish on. Not as hard as it sounds and I have redone several beat up kitchen tables using this technique. Course the easiest is just to go with rough roadie life look and leave it alone and the dings will darken with dirt/age

Take my advice with a grain of salt- woodworking has been my main hobby for 20 years but my real job is of a biological bent…

1 Like

We are in to the territory of my fathers favourite expression:

“Advice is free but experience has to be paid for”

In all seriousness I’m a finishing carpenter and have been for many years. Lots of time on the tools. So if you’ve got a carpentry question I’m happy to help, just send me a private message. Cheers

4 Likes

Some more progress. Pickup cavity needs another 2mm out and neck pocket needs to be opened a little at the heel. Original body design is a no go, so drawing some different options

9 Likes

Why was the original design a no go?

2 Likes

Why was the original design a no go?

Ahh…I keep going back and forth on this. The purpose of the original design was to let the bass sit between my legs when playing seated and give me more seated options. One concern I have is that with the “top” cutout, I lose the ability to rest my arm there. Also concerned a bit with weight distribution, as the SX neck and Gotoh tuners I am using are not the lightest. Other concern is it limits placement of the controls to the bottom “wing” portion, which might interfere with picking and it will make me “loop” the cord around the bottom.

That said, I still think the original design is bitchin.

2 Likes

why not make a cardboard cutout, tape on some knobs etc and see how it ‘feels’.
you won’t get your weight answer, but you will get a feel for what it is like.
tape it to the neck and see.

2 Likes

I didn’t realize there was a purpose to the design other than this. :rofl: