Old_Noob's bass build thread

Alright. I have my final layout/mockup after exhausting all the scrap wood in my garage for blanks.

8 Likes

Well, I totally screwed up the pickup route, so now I have to find or fabricate some sort of collar.

4 Likes

It’s a process

2 Likes

Did you use a template and a router bit with a bearing?
That looks like it was done freehand!

With some climb cutting as well. Climb cutting in wood doesn’t usually work, because you can’t fixture the piece without chowdering it all to shit. With dead tree carcasses its almost always safest to undercut.

I’m definitely going the template and bearing bit route in my own build, BTW.

1 Like

If you’re ever thinking of doing something like this again, I would recommend removing as much material as possible with a forstner bit (ideally in a drill press) and then template rout the rest with a ball bearing bit, like @Barney says.

However, I have to say that your wood choice looks awesome. With a bit of fitting, a collar around the pup will look pretty snazzy as well. If you have access to a 3D printer, Sakata makes a wood-fiber infused filament that would look nice.

Actually, @Old_WannaBe , you know, if you send me the measurements, I’ll print one up for you if you like.

2 Likes

So i had a template… was off by like 1 mm and instead of sanding the template i stipidly took a drill bit to the edges

Ouch. Yes, I have done that before. It’s never even afterwards.

This is why I don’t woodwork. I know what I’m good at and it ain’t one of the things. I don’t have the skill set for fine detail woodworking. And I’m ok with that. Haha

Many years ago I saw a cartoon in the paper. A guy is mounting the stairs because there is a bat in the attic. As he gets his gets his tennis racket ready, he says,”My inner warrior tells me to slay the beast and protect my family!”
At the top of the stairs, he says,”But my inner urban fat guy tells me that there are people paid good money to do that.”
I come down on the inner urban fat guy side of the equation. I would never even attempt what you’re doing.
I’m in awe of what you’ve accomplished so far. A pickup mounting ring will cover all manner of sins. What you have managed so far is amazing. Looking forward to the rest of the journey.

2 Likes

Not to get too philosophical/psychological…but. My grandfather was an expert amateur woodworker. He built his own sailboat from scratch. Unfortunately, he ever taught me much. My father sucked at anything mechanical/detail. He also was a major ass and would never let me do anything, famously telling me when I was 15 that I “would fuck up a wet dream.” Ever since, I have had a chip on my shoulder and am of the belief that if one studies enough, tries, and perseveres, one can accomplish anything. My greatest strength and weakness at the same time.

6 Likes

The only reason I’m good at carpentry is because in the 40,000+ hours of doing it I’ve bolloxed a lot of it up.

My father’s favourite expression is “Advice is free but experience has to be paid for”

You and now some of the Forum members have discovered the importance of using a template.

In all seriousness, If you’ve ever got a carpentry question. I’ll be happy to answer it.

3 Likes

Hey, I had that dad too!
Gee they sure were swell (and by swell I mean horrible).

3 Likes

This might be an interesting video for you:

A designer designing a bass guitar and talking about the concept.

3 Likes

I have a POS father as well…

2 Likes

@John_E, @Old_WannaBe, and @RuknRole I don’t think my father had the world’s highest opinion of me either . . . but at least he never made disparaging remarks like that to me.

It’s so important for a father and son to have a good relationship! It’s a shame what happened to you guys.

Just my two cents worth,
Joe

5 Likes

Anybody who has actually put in time on any tool, in any material will have made an innumerable number of f-ups, from teeny little scratches, to project-destroying whoppers. The real trick is to learn every time you do.

Anybody who says that they’ve never made a f-up with a tool has never held one, let alone actually used it for any purpose.

1 Like

Might very well take you up on that. No commercial mm pickup rings avail vand i have already destroyed 2 plastic pickguards trying to cut out a collar with a coping saw.

No problems. If you send me some measurements we may even try to do something fancy.

EDIT: And, in case you’re bored, here are dimensional drawings for SD MM-style pickups:

However, your dimensions may be different, just showing you the outer ones you may need.

2 Likes

Height 50 mm

Width of rectangle (without nubs) =90mm

Width

End to end with nubs = 102mm

2 Likes