Original bass shapes

+1

2 Likes

Got one.

Ibanez Affirma. I really like the Piezo sound.

7 Likes

funny and unusual shape indeed !

2 Likes

I think you already mentioned this one before, @TheFeister! Did you end up buying one??

I tried one once, but was not convinced… cool shape though! Designed by a Swiss architect, or something along those lines???

2 Likes

Yes, mentioned it and bought one.

Edit: Design by Rolf Spuler.

3 Likes

My custom 1989 Osbourne Elf 8 string

4 Likes

This is a Spector Chris Kael CK-4 - a little bit similar in shape to the ESP @howard had shared earlier:

6 Likes

Like the knuckleduster bridge design @joergkutter

2 Likes

I know :crazy_face:

2 Likes

Traveler Ultra-Light 30"

3 Likes

I like that ! Don’t know why but it’s simplicity appeals to me

1 Like

I like that bass!!! (and Five FingerDeath Punch ) :guitar:

2 Likes

This looks exactly like the one I had. Funky vintage tone, hot pickup. Perfect for the ZZ Top, Skynrd and Allman Brothers my band played.

1 Like

I think the Longhorn, the Kala U-Bass, and the Hofner Viola Bass are probably all tied for me in the “wait - that bass made that tone?” camp. I was shocked the first time I heard an isolated Longhhorn. It did not sound like tiny single-coils.

2 Likes

6 Likes

Exactly. I sat in a one-off/non-chain guitar store years ago, and tried out every bass they had, which, being Austin, was a hell of a lot. All the usual suspects: Fender, of course, but I had been down the Fender road a few years before and I wanted something different. At first, I was repelled by the looks and color of the Longhorn, so I just blew off auditioning it.

Until I had tried everything else. Then, holy crap! That little Danelectro short scale sounded like pissed-off thunder! Even my bud who managed the store came over to check out what I was playing. He said he hadn’t dug its looks when it first came in, but that it was a stone player. He was right and I came to love that bass that only a mother could love. Wish I still had it.

4 Likes

:heart_eyes:

3 Likes

I was going to post this anyway, but that Ampeg Scroll Bass has a successor in the current Eastwood EUB-1, described as “a tribute to the AMPEG AEB model from the late 1960’s”:

Eastwood also has these other uniquely shaped basses:

Airline Map Bass

Jetsons Jr. Bass

and the

TB64 6-String Bass, another like the EUB with a through-the-body cut-out.

3 Likes

5FDP

1 Like

i think that nobody does crazy/cool basses like brute does these days. NOT for everybody.

https://www.instagram.com/brute_bass_guitars/

https://www.instagram.com/p/CnUuCVFMUir/

1 Like