Original bass shapes

Oh no, never played one. Just a big fan! :metal:t3:

2 Likes

I was talking about the Vox Phantom.

1 Like

Ah … sorry Eric. my buddy owned the Vox and I goofed around on it a bit right as I got my first 6 stringer guitar so neither of us had any playing skill. In fact we didn’t even have a strap, so just holding that thing was a trip!

As I recall it was as heavy as a log and had pretty high action, maybe not the greatest tuners. He later replaced it with a P-bass that seemed to be better all around - weight, action, balance, feel, tuners, punchier tones. We were playing Ramones really loud and terribly by then so it makes sense that the P worked better for him.

Memories of this comparison are a few decades old, for all I know that Phantom could have been the superior rig and we were too naive to know better :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

The body on that Ampeg Scroll is pretty cool, but that headstock is all wrong lol

Very late to the party, Laurent… hope there is still some punch left in the bowl???

I guess nobody mentioned these “whale type” bodies yet (I forgot what @howard uses to call them)!?

Or, a variant including a convenient handle if you need to throw that damn thing away :grin:

(the first is a Fodera, the second one a Mayones)

3 Likes

I call them whales :slight_smile:

4 Likes

oh sure :grin:

1 Like

a kind of old-school whale :

3d348f2c86c02f620a670019687bda49

0095a8cd5ddc7f6e1c688dd78261efec

4 Likes

There is something very pleasing aesthetically about that!

2 Likes

So, piezo pickups??? Or…??? :face_with_monocle:

2 Likes

probably !

2 Likes

I thought I didn’t like whale body basses. I have had to reconsider that thought.

That bass and the ESP bass @howard posted earlier are both stunning.

1 Like

Yeah I love pretty much everything about this thing:

So retro-cool!

3 Likes

Things I thought I was sure of…

I don’t want a whale.
I don’t want a red bass.
I don’t want gold hardware.

ESP Steam enters the room… :open_mouth: :face_with_monocle: :flushed:

3 Likes

I don’t think I’d put that in the whale category. Kinda reminds me of Paul Stanley’s Ibanez? Maybe?

2 Likes

Did we have the D-Roc yet??

5 Likes

I dunno man.

• It’s got the Whale Head
  • It’s got the Whale Mouth

it’s just not hideous like many Whales

1 Like

:thinking:

2 Likes

So many people hate the droc.

I kinda like it.

3 Likes

I’d change the colors but I like it. It looks thunder bird ish to me…

2 Likes