Other hobbies?

I’m an illustrator! My goal in life is to be the best artist and bassist that I can be. I have dabbled in a lot of hobbies but nothing else has really touched my soul in the way these two things have.

I have been working hard at my art for years and I think I am finally at a point where I can chill out with the grinding (i.e. my technical skills are up to par and where I want them to be). Which is why a lot of my focus is shifting to bass; I feel like I’ve been neglecting it especially since I haven’t played in 7 years (long story).

Other hobbies I don’t devote nearly as much time to (say 2-3 hours a week maybe). I like playing board games (especially 4x games like Eclipse), role-playing games like Dungeons and Dragons, video games like Overwatch and Valorant, and I have a small v-pet collection (Tamagotchis and other brands).

I also like to sew on occasion, but haven’t been recently. While I was trying to get my art career going, I was supplementing my income by selling handmade miniature clothing (1/6, 1/4 and 1/3 scale).

12 Likes

Ive been a pilot for many a decade.
Both single engine, occasional twin engine and glider.
I’m also a bit of a woodworker.

-Doc

7 Likes

I like to draw and paint. (Just did an album cover for my nephew’s band.)

5 Likes

Pictures please @rachel.blithe

3 Likes

This is the album cover. They wanted a castle.

And, for fun, a paper doll of Carole Baskin I made during peak Tiger King, which I guess is relevant again?

There’s more on my instagram @ohmysnarling, which I need to get better at updating.

My profile pic is a painting I made of my sister, because I haven’t done a self portrait in years. (Will get on that maybe.)

14 Likes

You could do one of her dead husband. All you need is a shredder. :upside_down_face:

4 Likes

I love how multipley-interested everyone is!

2 Likes

The castle pic is very impressive @rachel.blithe :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Thank you!

1 Like

I really like your castle pic!!
-Jim

3 Likes

Add me to the list of castle pic admirers , @Mac and @Doc_Ivory . . . :slight_smile:

Cheers
Joe

2 Likes

This week’s hobby - build a little stand for my Fearless cab to get it off the ground.
Found a nice design via someone on talkbass.
Having no workbench to do the work on, phase 1 is/was “build a workbench”.

Done…

Phase 2 - move it into its home and organize the insanity that occupies the space it it going into…

Man, building a cab stand is HARD WORK. :upside_down_face:

13 Likes

Well . . . good for you, John @John_E . . . :+1:

There’s nothing like getting organized from the ground up. Personally, I just can’t function unless all my stuff is straightened up in an orderly fashion :wink:

Good luck with the rest of your project!

Cheers
Joe

4 Likes

Great job on the workbench! It looks very sturdy and the built-in light is a really nice touch. :+1:t3:

4 Likes

You know what that workbench needs? A lathe.

3 Likes

And a drill press with mortise bits, and a CNC router, and another workbench for all the crap that was going on this one.

5 Likes

I agree. Great idea, when are you getting on it? BTW, have you thought of a milling machine?

2 Likes

Hahaha, I already have enough hobbies…

2 Likes

Mess un-messed.
Every screw, every tool, every rag now in a proper place.
Man, that took a lot more than I thought, but happy it is done…

Before

After

18 Likes

Holy crap you have a Hamms sign. I probably haven’t drank that since high school.

3 Likes