Our bass milestones for 2022

…is that i just noticed my fingers are getting calluses. i think… i think i might be turning into a bass player?

26 Likes

same :slightly_smiling_face: Congratulations!

10 Likes

I realised I was a real bass player when my fingerprints won’t unlock my phone for more than two months at a time.

13 Likes

I ended up having to rescan my fingers to get it to work

8 Likes

I tried adding 30 minutes of silence to my morning routine in October. Today in Jan 2022, is Day 74 for me in this self-created 100-day challenge. A milestone I noted in one of my reflection videos is that music seems to be flowing more naturally to me (and I’m calmer in live performance settings on my other instruments) than before. It’s very exciting to me! I have to get up earlier to fit in the silence, but it’s been worth it. I’m hoping it is conducive to learning bass as well. :slightly_smiling_face:

8 Likes

Over a year of playing bass, I have no calluses.

I play guitar for 2 days and im getting calluses :joy:

5 Likes

feel the pain :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Same here! I now have Drum and Bass calluses

2 Likes

@vickiemaris, I love this!! I do something very similar. :+1:t3::+1:t3:

3 Likes

No bass calluses for me, but I had plenty when I started learning guitar a bunch of decades ago. I think calluses have been either internally absorbed or forever exorcised from my fret hand.

3 Likes

@420bpm that’s awesome! I’m glad to know you do something similar. I’m still using the practice of silence and/or meditation every morning. (now a few months further into the practice than the last I typed about it in January '22). It’s the only change in my routine that I can contribute the faster rate of improvement [instrument playing] to. :guitar:

2 Likes

Another 2022 Milestone to Becoming a Bassist: heard a bass line I liked, realized it was just octaves, sat my a$$ down and figured out the basic note progression in less than 5 minutes.

I felt pretty badass, I gotta tell ya. Thanks @JoshFossgreen

Hey @mgoldst what if we changed this topic to something like “Our Bass Milestones for 2022” so we can post milestones as the year goes on?

17 Likes

Yay!

3 Likes

good idea!

4 Likes

This happened to me. The singer for this band that is looking into me playing for her, she texted me a song and I went “Oh, octave shifts, it’s an… F” (it was synthwave so it was basically F f F f F f F f the entire song :rofl:

After that, I took one of the songs she sent me of herself singing, Beyond the Black’s Lost In Forever, and figured it out in like 5 minutes, jammed it a couple times, and then let Spotify do its “artist radio” thing and just played song after song for almost an hour o.O (it probably helps a lot of symphonic metal bands apparently tune to D and play minor scales which I know well lol)

So yeah, thanks @JoshFossgreen !

9 Likes

Two years ago, I said to myself that I wanted to transgress from “the owner of three bass guitars” into “a bassist” again. This year I was asked to join a band – to the point where, when I initially said no, they started to ask my wife to convince me.

I have not noticed the development of calluses, but on reading this thread, I thought to myself that yes, I did have to re-scan my right index and middle finger for both my phone and my notebook. So it must have crept in.

9 Likes

Iirc these scanners look through the skin to see the capillaries like a map, so if it can’t see them as well due to thicc callouses then this tracks.

3 Likes

Should I be worried about radiation? :crazy_face:

3 Likes

Excellent! I have my fingers crossed that this works out for you. :crossed_fingers:

3 Likes

Feels good doesn’t it. :+1: :+1: :+1:
Imagine where you will be in another couple of years :joy: :joy: :joy:

3 Likes