Our bass milestones for 2022

Okay, I’ve had a little more pessimistic days but I’m feeling much better now.

Things are as follows:
✓I have solid calluses on my fingertips;
✓I stretched fingers of my left hand to the point where I can reach frets 1 to 4 at the same time;
✓It turns out I’m not tone deaf after all :joy::joy::joy:
✓Aaaand I got out of my comfort zone and started taking irl lessons with a teacher. For a person with social anxiety it is a challenge!!! (for the first time before going out for the meeting, I thought I was going to throw up and had to take something to calm down😱). BUT it wasn’t THAT bad and I am very motivated and optimistic now.
A long way in front of me, but I will get there!! :guitar::muscle:

14 Likes

Glad to hear you are getting a handle on your anxiety issues.
You can do it :+1: :+1: :+1:

5 Likes

That’s fantastic, Hann! A huge step that will bring you so much in so many ways.

5 Likes

I met a guitar player during lockdowns who often walked by the house on the way to the park while we were sitting on the porch. Our street was half-barricaded to make a slow street for pedestrians and bicyclists to get exercise when gyms were closed, so we had front row seats to new social central.

Last Friday we had our first guitar and bass jam session. He’s much better than I am, but mellow, patient and can describe what’s going on in the bass line for songs he’s playing much faster than I’m able to figure it out.

We have Bob Marley - No Woman No Cry going pretty well already. Next Friday we are adding Tracy Chapman -Give Me One Reason.

New milestone - weekly live jam! Incredibly fun and a whole new set of skills. Figuring out what’s going on relatively quickly. Tracking someone’s description of what we are doing. Organizing myself and remembering what we are doing. Hitting the beat where the little bass run comes in on its own without a drummer.

17 Likes

Great! There’s nothing like playing with someone else, whether a single person or a band. While the word synergy has been made virtually pointless by misuse, it totally defines this musical experience. So much is shared and learned by all involved. Congrats, man!

6 Likes

I always said that there is nothing as satisfying as playing live with other like minded people in a jam.
Are you using a backing track to play to?

5 Likes

:scream: :scream: :scream:
:clap: :clap: :clap:
That’s incredible!

That’s always a nice feeling. :smiling_face:

The best! Now we just need a video - I’m gonna need to see that 1-4 fret stretch!
:smiling_imp: :rofl: :+1:

5 Likes

Good lord, that’s… bold. People have been banned from forums for less!

:rofl:

3 Likes

Not so far. It’s easier to jump around what we want to practice without it. Next session he’s going to put the rhythm guitar into a loop. I’ll go see if the “Reggae Drums” preset on anything makes sense.

2 Likes

I can only barely do that, congrats! And it’s so uncomfortable and awkward for me I’d never play that way, so nice job! Tbh I didn’t think I could until I checked after reading your comment XD

3 Likes

I can’t even get close. I can do 1-2-3, with index-middle-pinky.

3 Likes

I was just stretching from 1-4 lol. middle and ring are not in the right spots to fret :eyes:

2 Likes

I am quite tall for a woman - 181 cm (that’s almost 6’) with long limbs (including proportionally long fingers :sweat_smile:). A bit of a physical advantage but mostly it was a matter of exercise and stretching - I do a lot of technical exercises. Oh, and guitar experience ofc, so I entered from the level of slightly more efficient fingers.
This is obviously not a comfortable finger position (I don’t have alien fingers like Josh after all :sweat_smile:), but it was one of my goals and I can do it :grin:

5 Likes

You could pass for a Dutchie!

At some point, it was determined that Josh’s pinkie is as long as my middle finger, so I’m not even gonna try. I’ll just microshift, thank you. :blush:

7 Likes

My milestone? Played my first gig on bass.

Not really a big deal - but some background. I volunteered to play bass for the pit band for an am dram groups 50th Anniversary production at the local theatre (my daughter, wife, sister and setp son were all involved and I’d played guitar for the company last year, depping for their regular guy).

Thing is, I’d never played bass before, and we didn’t have a bass in the house until Christmas when my 33 y/o son gave his lovely Ibanez EDA 900 to my 17 y/o daughter). Well, I didn’t want to “steal” her guitar and, being more of a classic rock type of guy, I treated myself to a Mexican Jazz bass and Rumble 40 (we were being DI to the desk, so I only needed it for monitoring) in February and set about learning in excess of 40 songs for the show. These were tunes from everything from Gilbert and Sullivan’s “Mikado” through “Great Balls of Fire” and the Barry Manilow “Copacabana”.

Did I say learn?

We were mostly working from piano reductions, most without chord symbols, so I spent a good deal of time transcribing bass lines from these (as written most went well below the bass cleff with ledger lines). All the while making a start on B2B as whilst I have a reasonable understanding of theory and much of the fretboard is transferable from guitar, I knew I’d need some basic technique.

The show was last week and I just about got away with it. I was hearing bum notes from myself all over the play, but listening back to the recordings, it really wasn’t as bad as I thought and I’m feeling rather pleased with what I achieved.

My only dissappointment is I would have hoped that all this transcription and playing from scores I’d written would have improved my ability to sight read rather more than it has, but I guess I just have to accept I’m much slower at remembering things than I used to be. The notes on the treble cleff are automatic to me (I learned to read the dots as a 7 year old choirboy) but I still frequently find myself having to stop and work out what a note is on the bass clef. It’s frustratiing - I have no problem finding the note on the fretboard though, so I guess I’m halfway there.

Next milestone is to finish the B2B (currently trying to get “My Sharona” a bit tighter and then I’ll attack the 50 songs.

Having done 40+ songs in three months, I expect to finish the 50 songs by teatime!

In all seriousness, I appreciate there’s a vast difference between being able to get away with playing something and playing something well - even if playing exactly the same notes, so I’m looking forward to studying this new instrument seriously.

Fantastic site/forum, by the way. Love the encouragement and mutual respect.

10 Likes

Congratulations!
I love it when people step out and play their first bass gig.
It’s a star wars moment -
You’ve taken your first step into a larger world… that kind of thing.

All the things you thought you might need to practice become more obvious and the reward of knowing you’re able to do it is unlike anything else.
Bravo, I say. Bravo.

8 Likes

Uh, yes it is!

Becoming a bigger deal…

Enormous deal!

And it’s something completely different to do either in front of a bunch of people!
Congrats! You are a rock star. Full stop. :trophy:

7 Likes

And it’s something completely different to do either in front of a bunch of people!
Congrats! You are a rock star. Full stop. :trophy:

Thanks for the comments! But I don’t want to take credit where it’s not due. I should have made clearer that I am no stranger to playing in front of audiences as I was in covers bands and a duo from my early 20s to early 40s as a guitarist (though nothing for the past 18 years or so) and I’m one of those lucky (?) people who loves an audience. If I’d had any talent (and looks), I’d have been Freddie Mercury.

4 Likes

I appreciate your disclosure! That’s still a huge undertaking, though, so please hold on to your credits. :smiley:

2 Likes

Way to go, Tim! Big wins, all the way around. :tada:

2 Likes