Pam and John's "How To Record Yourself" Parts 1 & 2 (Audio & Video)

RX8 is the best I’ve tried for removing bass from a a track. It also can isolate the bass track for transcribing (albeit a bit muddy). I also use it to isolate the drum track to assist me when learning the groove, or to isolate the vocals or instrumentation. it has many other functions as well that are also awesome. I use some, but not all of them. To me, it was worth the price just in terms of time saved and frustration averted.

2 Likes

I haven’t heard about that new RX9, I’ll check with Izotope and see what it’s all about. Unless it’s a minimal cost to upgrade, I’ll probably just stick with RX8.

3 Likes

You have RX8 Standard? PB has the upgrade at $50 (on sale):

The upgrade for Advanced is about $150.

I doubt you need to upgrade though, for just removing bass tracks. But someone buying new should definitely not get 8 now.

2 Likes

Yes, I have RX8 Standard. I checked the Izotope site and it’s $49. I’ll probably do the upgrade since it’s not that much money.

I use it for more than just removing bass, so it’s likely worth the price.

3 Likes

They really make good stuff, staying current is not a bad plan at all, yeah. I use their plugins every time I mix.

3 Likes

So do I. I use RX8 in post production for my audio mixing.

4 Likes

That’s awesome, I didn’t know they used spleeter. Makes sense though. iZotope is good about partnering where it makes sense - like bundling Melodyne with Nectar and using it for the corrections.

3 Likes

Hi all, hope some of you are finding Part 1 @PamPurrs and I did to be helpful.

Questions for the beginners…

1. Are you still interested in a Part 2 where we cover how to record yourself with video and audio and sync the two, add some graphics/titles/etc and upload to YouTube/Vimeo?

2. What other info would you like to see in this session? What platforms? We are planning a mac based (iMovie) and PC based DaVinci Resolve example btw.

3. Any interest in green screen / chromakey production via our @PamPurrs ?

Let us know, we are starting to plan.

5 Likes

Yes, I’m interested and waiting on part 2 , I just got my focusrite delivered yesterday, Reaper is downloaded…. I removed the bass from two tracks using moises… Now I just need to get lost in my room and get to it… but it’s been a tad too busy :roll_eyes:
I’m using an old PC with windows :man_shrugging:
Thanks again for doing this

4 Likes

Very much interested in part 2! I’m running a mac with a new scarlett but so far only made a few audio recordings of myself but haven’t even dabbled yet in mixing or video. Would love to be able to post covers of myself on B2B in a month so I can get some friendly criticism of my skills (but I still will plan to have a bag on my head so I can’t be recognized on the street :male_detective:)
Green screen is fun but I usually just stand in front of a mega TV for a similar effect without needing the computing power

4 Likes

@PamPurrs thanks for your reply, I would dearly love to get RX8/9 especially so that they are both reduced at the moment. Of course my issue is that the Australian dollar is very weak against the greenback. I do agree with you about getting rid of the frustration. The izotope products do seem very user friendly. I will ponder. Also, I’m really looking forward to Part2. Thanks again. Ian

3 Likes

Yup, 100%

Win 10

I have absolutely no idea whether I’d actually use this, but I’d certainly be interesting in seeing how it’s done. :+1:

3 Likes

Absolutely, YES…Please do the part 2. I’m starting to put together all the necessary gear to be able to record myself. I’m still a ways away from feeling I’m ready, but would rather begin to get all the gear together so I don’t need to wait for cargo ships to be unloaded. LOL

3 Likes

Ok, great, we will begin pulling it together.

4 Likes

Keying is not for everyone, and it certainly isn’t necessary in order to make a cover video. But, it does add interest, and another element of art to your videos.

2 Likes

#1 - Yes
#2 - Yes
#3 - Yes

2 Likes

Is there any chance y’all will look at OBS Studio in the combining audio and video installment?

2 Likes

I don’t think so @eric.kiser but all the concepts should apply across platforms.

2 Likes

@eric.kiser I think I’ll mention it and go over it when I talk about multi-cam and syncing audio with video. Would that help?

3 Likes

Yes, that would be great. There are so many options for doing all this it would be interesting to see where it fits in with how you, specifically, put all the pieces together.

2 Likes