Papa's got a... brand new fist headed towards this song

So I’m in Module 11 Lesson 3. “Papa’s Got a Brand New Bag”.

You know, I didn’t have much of a problem with “Billie Jean”. Everyone talks about how challenging it was, but it wasn’t much a challenge for me. Not bragging, just setting some expectations.

But this “Papa’s Got a Brand New Bag” lesson? Holy hell, my fingers do NOT want to cooperate, and they do NOT want to move in the ways these workouts need them to move.

I would rather do 10 “Billie Jean” lessons than this one lesson.

Grr. Argh.

6 Likes

Diff’rent strokes, my man.

Billie Jean is a right bitch for most Buzzers.

I found Papa’s Got a Brand New Bag doable and a lot of fun, personally.

Keep plugging. You’ll get it.

7 Likes

Yeah, I grok. I’m just whinging.

5 Likes

I didn’t have issues with it but I hear you. I didn’t enjoy Papa’s bag!

5 Likes

Been there, done that.

7 Likes

Man, i can fully pick up what you are laying down. Grok. I haven’t heard that since like 1992😂

6 Likes

Stranger in a Strange Land. A true classic, way before the Bowie flick.

4 Likes

Yes. Love me some heinlein. I’ve read the entire catalogue. I’ve probably read time enough for love at least 5 times. He was a great escape hatch for a kid in a rough situation.
In fact, i even read that other guys stuff-i never joined his church(?), but i read his stuff.

3 Likes

If I catch your meaning, Battlefield Earth was great… I haven’t read enough Heinlein…

1 Like

Absolutely a classic

4 Likes

Robert Heinlein. Nothing SIASL without him.

1 Like

2 Likes

Exactly. Same page.

1 Like

Shh, us Bass Prodigies :tm: aren’t supposed to talk about this!

:joy: :upside_down_face:

1 Like

I also had no problems with BJ. My nemesis was and to an extent still is, “Some Kind of Wonderful”. My fingers trip over each other on the change.

1 Like

BJ’s not super awful - took some practice… and I love Some Kind of Wonderful - but Huey Lewis Power of Love just killed me for the longest time - just could not do that (should be simple) octaves section at speed. Finally started nailing it in the last month or two (after a year).

2 Likes

Yeah, I had fun with this. Been a guitar shuffle feel player for years, though.

Over the years I got in to a habit of playing Billie Jean super sloppy and I need to unlearn it now :rofl:

I can do it at full speed still without much warmup, but it sounds pretty halfassed. I should fix that.

1 Like

Yeah, doing it at speed is where it’s at.