Travis The Padre Reed Practice Log

Well, in my own, expert opinion :crazy_face: I didn’t do too bad, although the fast workout still needs some work. I’ll probably have another go tomorrow, just for the fun of it!

1 Like

Simple Bass Blues Groove

How cool is this:

{ E { E { E { E {

{ A { A { E { E {

{ B { A { E { B {

Such a cool pattern to play anywhere on the neck and dig the 12 bar pattern as well. You can find Josh’s video under Course Extras. The real challenge for me was starting on a root note with my pinky. Excellent Practice For Me

Be Well,
Cheers

1 Like

@travis.thepadre.reed I tried to play along to the full song last weekend and didn’t do too bad, if I do say so myself. Great fun, highly recommended!
https://youtu.be/CWeXOm49kE0

3 Likes

Nicely done @Mike_NL

1 Like

Just to clarify @PamPurrs: that’s not me you hear playing; that’s just the original recording :wink:

2 Likes

Oh, my bad. :woozy_face:

2 Likes

@PamPurrs & @Mike_NL,

Cracks me up how I felt pretty good with the medium workout and then this video handed me my A$$.

Really enjoy the soft bass around 2-3min mark of the video. The keys are pronounced and that bass is notable but don’t dominating.

For me, a couple of times, had to just stop my playing. Its most likely that I was trying too much. Trying to count, hit clean notes, tune out the busy sax, and struggled to keep tempo with the band. Felt better after just starting a simple pattern on my own merit.

Really Appreciated The Link,
Cheers

Hehe, no worries :wink: I only wish I could play it that well… Unfortunately I don’t own any recording equipment, so I can’t share what it sounds like when I play it… Although, that might be a good thing :crazy_face:

Yeah, I hear you :grin: This is one of those lessons where the gap between the medium and the full tempo workout is actually quite big. While playing along to the recording, I lost track at one point and started playing the B part where I should have repeated the A part… Took me a couple of bars before I realized I was playing something else entirely :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Keep at it, you’re going to get there! And compared to the next lesson, this one is easy :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Update: Papa’s Got A Brand New Bag is now officially the next Thing I Am Struggling With. I just keep making the same mistakes… Spent about half an hour practicing at the Slow tempo, and eventually managed to play it kinda okay-ish. Thought I’d give the Medium tempo a try, and whaddaya know: I still make the same mistakes. Only faster.

I’m starting to divide music into two categories… 1: Music That I Can Play. That’s great music. And 2: Music That I Cannot Play. That music sucks :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

5 Likes

Right On @Mike_NL !!

Will dive deep and pull up that lesson

Dig the two different categories for sure

Today, I practiced the Funk Box from the Josh Man YT video

Stay Strong,
Cheers

@joergkutter @Mike_NL @PamPurrs @itsratso

Mr Brown came up on my YT algorithm. Its part two and so difficult but addictive!!

Be Well,
Cheers

5 Likes

Too Funny, Went For It Tonight

Don’t Stop Believin’ - Journey

Be Well,
Cheers

1 Like

Today Was A Good Day

Took a little trip down memory lane and visited Module 7 Lesson 1-4 Wild Free Jazz Exploration

I’m still sloppy but enjoying myself
Cheers

1 Like

Oh Baby,

Re-Watched Beginner Blues Bass "Survival Shapes”
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiloGr59WOg

So Much Fun
Cheers

1 Like

I renamed it “ Papas got a brand new practice routine”.

2 Likes

Working on this little hit number today

Beds To Big Without You - Obviously The Police

Cheers

3 Likes

Heard this “Sting” guy was pretty good!

1 Like

Really enjoyed myself with this one today. Struggled a bit on timing and the one ghost note threw me for a loop. The runs are very enjoyable but at my tempo for sure.

Been working with Pentatonic Scales for awhile now, so this was a new concept to me. Only using two strings and keeping track of the root note per each position. Way Cool

Hope you find the pleasure that I received

Cheers

1 Like

@travis.thepadre.reed Did you watch Mark’s premier today about walking bass lines?

1 Like

I sure did @PamPurrs and it beat me up good. I was watching it live so Mark worked the fretboard faster than I could comprehend. That first basic three note arpeggio scale with the backing track was ideal for me. I can do that!!!

That video today lead me to the Pentatonic video I just posted. Will continue to watch both videos over the weekend.

Thank you so much for checking in,
Cheers

1 Like