Pedalboard for doom/sludge metal

Anyone have any input that might help me put together a pedalboard for doom/sludge metal? My research so far has me putting, in order: Tuner first to be able to mute while tuning, then OD, then fuzz, then compressor then noise gate. I don’t know if this order is the best or if there are other pedals I should be adding but this is where I’m at so far. Thanks for any help you can give me!

3 Likes

It really depends the tone you’re looking for. Electric Wizard and Eyehategod, for example, have a very different bass tone and both works pretty well.

I prefer the compressor just after the tuner but it depends how you use it. also I don’t think a noise gate is needed, and you could also look for a phaser if you’re into the psychedelic side of sludge.

Just for your information, my setup is pretty simple, I mostly use only a compressor and an OD/preamp (and a tuner, but that’s not really an effect as it does not effects the tone).

'hope it helps. :metal:

2 Likes

Not an expert on Doom/Sludge but I would recommend a chorus after the fuzz because that just sounds… metallic.

I’d also put the compressor first (after the tuner). The compressor will likely have a nice neutral boost that will be useful to pump into later pedals like the OD. Then again, if you want to squish everything, it will have to go later.

1 Like

Thanks! I’ll put the compressor first instead.

2 Likes

Thanks! I’ll try out a chorus and see if it works on all that fuzzed out tone.

2 Likes

yeah you’ll have to try and see what suits your tastes and playing !

2 Likes

As long as I have the pedal order right I’m mostly concerned with that

2 Likes

about the pedal order you’ll also need to try and see what works for you :slight_smile: there are general rules, but sometimes you can have very good surprises by breaking those rules :sunglasses:

3 Likes

+1 to @terb, this is one of the more fun parts :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I posted some demos with my bass into a few combos of compressor/fuzz/chorus/overdrive a while back if you want a quick sample:

1 Like

Probably a better example of chorus after fuzz/distortion for you:

Sorry about the muting at the start, I suck at muting with a pick :slight_smile:

3 Likes

That’s a lot of fuzz :smile:

2 Likes