Pedalboard Recommendations?

Lets talk pedalboards. Are people buying them? Making them? Not using them at all? I’ll have 5 pedals soon, so thinking of getting one. Looks like velcro ones are the most common? Is this because most pedals don’t have mounting holes? What else should I think about with pedalboards?

2 Likes

I have the Temple Audio board with the mounting holes. I prefer it to the velcro, although most people seem to go the velcro route.

Did all your pedals have mounting holes? Or do you use some other way to mount them to something that does have mounting holes?

2 Likes

The board has holes and you have to buy the mounting brackets which attach to the back of the pedal with sticky stuff. The mounting brackets have little bumps on them that correspond to the holes in the board, plus a thumb screw to hold it in place.
You can get more info here

1 Like

I’ve been planning on getting in the garage and making a small one for my few pedals with room for a few more. Might make it a goal while on vacation next week.

3 Likes

Take a look at Rockboard (made by Warwick), Their boards have some pretty cool features including different patch bays and mounting plates. They also do the standard power bricks but they also do battery powered power supplies that slot into the board as well. One of the main dealers of Rockboards in the UK is Anderton’s

1 Like

Yeah, I was just checking them out actually. Didn’t know it was Warwick owned though. Sounds like I first need to decide whether I want velcro or mounted, but I think velcro doesn’t sound as secure. Although mounted sounds more permanent. Seems to be quite a lot of other brands too. I didn’t realize pedalboards were such a big market!

1 Like

I ended up going for this one. I was going to buy the Pedaltrain Classic but got some good advice here to not overspend on a hunk of metal, and glad I listened. This cheap knockoff is pretty much the exact same thing without the logo. Ended up dropping $120 for board + power supply instead of $300, which means I get to buy another pedal with the savings :+1:

2 Likes

Sounds like good advice. I need to work out what size board I need tomorrow too. Going to have 4-6 standard sized pedals on it most likely.

1 Like

I also have a temple.

1 Like

I got a Mooer TF20 http://www.mooeraudio.co.uk/p/tf20-pedalboard-with-soft-case

But I’ve been thinking on these ones: D’Addario has released an expandable pedalboard called the XPND | MusicRadar

I dont attach the velcro directly to the pedalboards nor take whatever it’s on the bottom of the pedals. I make a bed with painter’s tape and write the amps it needs on the tape, so I don’t have to check the manuals or take the bedding off.

Like this: A New Approach to Velcro'n Pedals onto Pedalboards - YouTube

1 Like

there are in my head, two types of boards. boards that have special features built in (like the temple’s plug in modules) and plain jane boards. if you don’t want the added features I agree, get the cheapest basic board you can that fit your needs.

2 Likes

I bought just about every module Temple Audio has for my board lol

3 Likes

I would go a little bigger than necessary so you don’t have to do it all over again in a year or two. I have a 12.5 x 22.5 board and currently only have 5 full size pedals on it, and room to add 5-6 more. Also if you don’t want to go for an isolated power source at first, daisy chain cables can work fine as a cheap starting point. I can’t find the one I bought but it didn’t add any noise.

2 Likes

daisy chaining or cheapo non isolated power supplies like the caline that many of us own may work fine and is certainly where I would start. but you MAY run into noise problems, especially with digital pedals. I was fine until I bought my beat buddy pedal which is insanely noisy. if you have to go iso power the newer Harley Bentons look like a great deal.

3 Likes

Yeah i wouldn’t recommend the daisy chain, but it’s a question of $15 vs $100 so if that’s an obstacle to getting started, a daisy chain will suit you fine for typical 9v pedals. Interesting about the Harley Benton power supply, I went for the cheapo Donner but might be swapping it out.

3 Likes

This is the board I just bought. Will just have a couple pedals to start but I have room to grow. Going to use velcro and daisy chain the power. A power supply upgrade is in the future I am sure, but this is to me a good starting point

4 Likes

oh, plan for more…they mulitply!

3 Likes

Hey Pam, where did you get the BIG buttons to go on the pedals?
I need some of those.

Very cool

2 Likes

I got them on Amazon, yes they are very cool.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07HFM3FGQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1 Like