Pedals, what’s a good starting point?

If that’s the case, I may be taking the Zoom to my daughters house, and using the pedals, the BDI-21 thru my amp and into headphones then.
Or just get her a little practice amp, or a zoom of her own. There is a Kong bass multi fox on Let Go for $25. I bet that has headphones out. Or I should say, I hope it does.

1 Like

@howard. You mentioned the TC Electronics Chorus pedal named Corona. Do you know this pedal well? I saw reviews of it with Bass on YouTube, and I was impressed.

But the reason I ask, is, while buying my daughter a strap for her bass today, at the local guitar pawn shop, they had a NIB one for $49.99, and even tho that is half price, I may get it for $40 or $45 if I asked.
Just wondering what you and others think of that pedal. I wasn’t gonna get a chorus pedal, but again, I found a deal that’s hard to pass.

I have not used a real one but I know it from playing with its model on the Zoom, which I liked. You have a model of that pedal on your Zoom you can try out.

It has a good reputation as well.

1 Like

The Corona is on the Zoom? Man, I need to memorize what pedals are modeled on it.
I guess it would boil down to the tone print if I already have it. I don’t know that I heard much difference between the ones they reviewed on YouTube. I will have to watch again and pay closer attention to see weather that is worth it or not.

Without wishing to look like a total banana :banana: are the four pedals T_Dub first posted a good starting point?
And what if any difference will having an active bass make?
TIA

3 Likes

@Mac

Here is a thread that will answer most of your questions about which pedals to get and how to arrange them.

As far as the active bass, it just does a lot of the EQ stuff that you can also do at the amp. Just be sure to unplug the cable when not using it because it eats batteries while plugged in, even if the amp is off.

8 Likes

Thanks for that link. I’ll have a good read through it and then go hunting lol
Oh and thanks for the heads up on unplugs the bass! I had no idea it would do that !

4 Likes

Active EQ or Active pick ups. There is a difference. However, even active pick ups, if turned off, will eat the battery if you leave the cord in. With Active EQ, you have options to adjust the signal, with a boost, you may get away without adding an EQ pedal, (however an EQ pedal gives you an option to EQ the signal at different places.) With active pick ups, you can turn them off or on. So you could run thru a board on passive mode,

Either way, the basics will be the same. I think that Josh’s Peavey has active pick ups, but I could be wrong. So his build may be around active pick ups, if that’s what you have @Mac

Again the basics should be the same either way.

3 Likes

@T_dub You once asked me what distortion pedals I was looking at. I couldn’t find the original question so I’m putting it here.

For overdrive, I would like to get the Maxon BD10 Hybrid Bass Driver or the Ibanez TS9B Bass Tube Screamer. Maxon was the company that originally created and manufactured the Tube Screamer for Ibanez up until 2003 (?). I’ve listened to the two on youtube and I could swear I like the Maxon better. In reality, I doubt I could tell the two apart in a blind test. I think you said you got a Plumes. All three of these are just variations of the tube screamer and all sound pretty great.

For Fuzz, this. Only this. The Orange Fur Coat Fuzz. It is so damn wooly.

All this is on hold till I can get my hands on a Tone Hammer. I had a chance to play through one and I loved what it did to the overall tone but didn’t have a chance to play around with the overdrive. After I have a chance to play with the overdrive on that I’ll reevaluate the rest. I suspect it might be redundant to have a Tube Screamer also.

5 Likes

the fuzz sounds insane @eric.kiser

5 Likes

When they did this video, comparing 47 fuzz pedals, they said the Orange Fur Coat stood out among all of them. Honestly, I can’t really tell what they were hearing in this video that made it so special. When I heard the video posted above, I was really taken by it. After going back and listening to the video below, most of them don’t even come close. Although, that Green Russian is pretty cool.

5 Likes

This whole pedal thing still really confuses me still. I’m loving the sounds but wouldn’t know how to chain them correctly. I’m still using my Zoom pedal on the factory settings lol. Too scared I’ll mess it up by changing stuff!
The more I’m getting into this the more I’m realising how “ technically challenged “ I really am what with this and recording :scream:

3 Likes

I’m a huge fan of the Big Muff but that Orange Fur Coat sounds awesome and definitely has more features than the standard Muffs. Sounds like a serious winner.

Ooh that Carl Martin was good too though.

3 Likes

i would buy the fur coat fuzz just for how it looks alone. i had the tone hammer and sold it. it sounds great, but as i said in the pedalboard thread, it has a huge flaw. if you engage the drive, the volume of your pedal goes through the roof. it is either have it on or have it off, you cannot start a song with it off and then kick it in in the middle. after trying a whole bunch of preamp/di boxes i have finally settled in on what i hope will be my last one, and it actually isn’t technically a preamp - the tech 21 q-filter. i really don’t need drive/od, compression, etc, any of that on a preamp as i do that all from my pedalboard. i don’t even really use the eq, as i have an eq pedal. i just like the solid di out, and the fact that the built in clean sound of it is nice, and it makes the piezo on my ubass sound amazing.

3 Likes

meh. don’t overthink it. there are no rules, you can do whatever you want and many many people like their pedals in the “incorrect” order. and it won’t change anything with your zoom.

4 Likes

Just use the banks 50 - 59, and go into Stomp Edit mode, and start making pedal chains. There is nothing to mess up, they are empty.

You may prefer to go into settings and turn OFF the auto save function, that way if you want to edit preset chains to see how they work, by say changing the selected OD in the preset, or adding a chorus on the end, or turn one of the 3-4 pedals the preset has off to see how it sounds.
If you have auto save OFF, when you leave that preset, it will ask you if you want to save. If you think you screwed it up, select NO, and it will reset to the way it was.

You can always factory re-set, (losing any patches you created) if you think you messed up some pre-sets, or link to the software and re-;pad the original presets

You can’t hurt it, but you can learn TONS from it, so dive right in and start tweaking away.

4 Likes

^^ that. This is what the Zoom units are best for :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I’ll have a go tomorrow or should I say later this morning

4 Likes

That sounds nasty, I like it, and as another said, I would buy on looks alone.
Now you got me thinking, cus I can return my Big Muff to GC. Hmmmm. Have to check the price on this.

Yeah, the Plumes is great. Yes, it is a. TS model, but it has extra clipping options and the Tone shapes, not only cuts. I am very happy with it, considering USA handmade and only $80

3 Likes

NOOOOOOOO! :slight_smile:

Just paint it orange.

4 Likes