Pedals, what’s a good starting point?

I’m not aware of anything wrong with the Sub-n-Up. Looks like a nice pedal. It’s polyphonic as well, and digital too (a plus for octaver tracking - digital octavers seem much better than the analog ones like the OC-2 clones like the Nether).

2 Likes

Thanks, I was thinking along the same lines, and this is a bad ass pedal with all sorts of options, and wan not a bad price for $130. Seems almost as capable as the POG 2, they are just similar products from competitors. Cool

1 Like

There could definitely be qualitative differences; one could track way better, sound better, etc - I simply don’t know. Need to check them both out side by side.

Here’s a few comparisons:

3 Likes

After watching t

he first video (I like this channel for reviews) that the S&U is a lot more of a pedal then the micro POG, but that is just my opinion.

Second video (never seen these guys before) shows more the differences, the POG more synthetic and the SnU more clear octaves? I guess thats the take away.

ThIird vid, I never saw this channel before. That POG 2 is a monster, I am sure its lots of fun.

I liked the first video best because it was just a comparison, and not much with the opinions, just let you choose for yourself.
I like the SnU, but I can see how some could be partial to the POG.
Value for the money, I have to say the SnU takes it.

1 Like

I really don’t think there’s a huge dif between them, and I agree that the tc seems more flexible. The pog was the first Octaver I heard that could do the 3 octaves at once which is so much better than a mono Octaver imo which is why I love it. But the tc sounds great too. BTW I had the pog2 for a few hours, both the double octave down and the dry effects sounded horribly distorted through my cab no matter how low I tuned it down. So i wound up with a pedal that I had to work with just to get the sound of my nano. I sold it this morning and lost $20 on the deal, not bad to try it out. Not everything works out.

2 Likes

That sucks.
One of the reviews of the POG 2 I watched posted above said something about some of the Ocatves sounding exactly the same or something, doesn’t sound like the issue you were having, but maybe they have just too many controls on a pedal that there are bound to be problems???

If you still want to get really funky with sound, try the TC pedal out, it really does sound amazing.
I would post some sound waves, but I have not got my computer yet. Was supposed to get it Wed, but it wasn’t ready til last night, but I was busy, so I am getting it later today. then when I figure it out, I can record some comparison sound files to share.

2 Likes

Two octaves down is simply not very useful on bass, at least for the E and A strings, at least in my experience.

Weird that the dry effects were bad for you too.

4 Likes

@T_dub some @howard @itsratso @terb pedal board ideas :rofl:

Jamie

3 Likes

actually for fun, i ordered that tc pedal to compare it to my nano pog. just got notified that the place refunded me because it’s sold out :rofl: the one criticism i have of a lot of the pedals that use toneprint, including this one, is that it kind of kills the usefulness of toneprint if you don’t have extra slots to store a few on the pedal and switch them. my HOF2 has 3 toneprint storage slots, which is better but still not a bunch. i think they should go back and reissue all the toneprint pedals with a 3 position toggle switch on each for storing them, even better would be to be able to choose 2 storage banks for the toggle giving you 6 slots. edit: to be fair, i was browsing through the tc website and most of the toneprint pedals do have extra slots, only a few of them don’t.

3 Likes

If you like more than one of the pedals, for the price of 2.5 pedals you can get the the Plethora X5 with 12 available Toneprint pedals, 5 pedal slots in a row and 75 Toneprint storage each pedal. No daisy chain cables. No power supply distribution.

4 Likes

i was actually considering something like that, seeing as how i am up to 3 tc pedals now. but it takes up a lot of room. really nice solution for a lot of people though. edit: hmm… ya know what…

3 Likes

do you own one? trying to figure out if there’s any way to trigger multiple effects on it at once so you don’t have to do the pedal board dance.

later that day…

after looking online for a while, it appears their claim of “get every toneprint in one pedal” actually isn’t quite true either. there appears to be more than a few missing toneprint pedals, including my fave the spectracomp. and it is hard to actually figure out exactly what pedals are supported by it, as there doesn’t seem to be a comprehensive and regularly updated list anywhere. strange.

3 Likes

Source Audio’s Aftershock has something kind of like this - it has three distortion engines and lets you download one preset for each, with a switch on the pedal.

The Plethora X5 - hmm. Not super excited by that. For that price for a multi-effects unit I’d probably just get a Helix, and not be limited to just TC pedals.

Edit: oops, the full “Helix” is a bit more expensive than I remembered - HX Stomp and HX Effects are both in the same price range though :slight_smile:

Still, the TC is like 2x-3x the cost of a Zoom B3n (with fewer controls but more footswitches and better outs). Seems like a weird price point for it, especially as all it has are TC Toneprints.

4 Likes

yep, i got the 3 position toggle switch idea from my source audio spectrum. and i think the selling point behind the x5 is that if, like me, you already have a couple of tc pedals and want some more you can get basically all of them for cheaper.

3 Likes

Yeah I guess if you really want to collect TC pedals it’s a good way to go.

I wonder how the TC toneprints compare to the Helix models in quality. The Helix (and the HX boxes in the Helix line) are definitely pro-level effects units. It would be tough to convince me to go with a TC-only unit over one of those for the same price range; it would require a lot of listening evidence and a genuine love for the TC toneprints :slight_smile:

This is also making me wonder if all the TC pedals are basically the same internally, and they just sell them as different pedals for reasons, or if the Plethora contains the aggregate hardware of all the pedals it supports the toneprints for - seems like it must be one or the other :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Good questions, good points, but the HOF and Flashback also have larger units for more storage of tone prints for that same pedal, I don’t believe it switches pedals, but they are not that much more then one pedal, just double price I think.

I did not like the Flashback pedal. And not because of the pedal, I just don’t like the effect that much. I probably don’t know how to use delay effectively to be honest, but when I play with a delay pedal, I just am not impressed.
I am astounded at how many delay pedals there are, and how so many of them are so complex and expensive, and quiet good I imagine. So the effect must be such an important pedal on a board for so many people if they get that complex.

@itsratso Did you say the SpectraComp was your favorite TC Pedal? I ordered it, and played with it for a while. There were a few tone prints that I liked very much and were quite useable, but in the end, it was not a good match for me. I want more control over the compression, and with one dial, for only how much of the TonePrint effect you will mix in, I couldn’t settle on it.
I have played around with compression a lot, and actually found the compressors in the Zoom line are very good, and I made a few really good patches to use as my compressor in my chain.
But
Then I ordered this Optical compressor off Amazon that intrigued me. It had all the control I wanted, it was optical, and I had not played with one yet, and it was only $66, from Amazon with free returns.
This pedal KICKS MAJOR ASS.
There are some other compressors that I would love to try, and this one was basically a model of them. Those however are expensive, like $200 and up.
The Keeley Bassist Limiting Pre Amplifier
MXR Bass Optical Compressor
Lamplighter
A few others.

This San June that I got, after having it, and testing it and getting great results, I went back and read the reviews on this pedal, and people were 5*’s all the way. People said they had the Keeley, and like this pedal EVERY BIT AS MUCH or EVEN BETTER then the Keeley.
Or that this replaced the MXR, or Lamplighter on their boards.
I read all that stuff after I settles on it as my compressor.
I don’t like to read the reviews prior to using the pedal, I find it is better for me to formulate my own impression. Once I know what I think about it, if it is a pedal I like and want to keep, I then read the reviews.
It is nice to see that I pick a pedal that 30 year performing bassists (so they claim, I have no reason to doubt them) are thinking the same thing I am about a pedal.

Anyway, I settled on this pedal
And
Somebody wanted to trade me for two of my pedals, and one of the pedals they offered was another compressor, one I really wanted to try, after hearing @Gio saying if he were to try another compressor, that this would be the one he would test out (or something to that effect).

So I ended up with the BOSS Bass CompBC-1X
Now I love this pedal every bit as much as the San June
I think my pedal board is going to have 2 compressors on it. They are both so good, and one shines where the other is a little weaker (tiny bit weaker) and the other shines in place where it is a little weaker.

I did a sound wave test on them to post, I need to learn how to post them.
I played a bass line thru my Zoom B1-four, looped it, then I recorded a dry signal, then one thru the San June, and then one thru the Boss.
I am gonna try and post it in my pedalboard thread, if you are interested in hearing, check out that UNBOXING thread I have going that catalogues the build of my pedalboard.
There is lots of good info in the thread from others that have chimed in and helped along the way.

4 Likes

I actually like the spectracomp one knob approach. I mean if you want to tweak it you can plug it in to your computer and tweak away. I just personally don’t really see a need to tweak compression much, it’s always on and forget about it.

4 Likes

Yeah, compression is mostly personal preference. I can’t argue one over the other from anybody else’s viewpoint, only mine.
That goes for most pedals, if I don’t like one and somebody else plays thru it and gets the results they like, there is nothing wrong with that.

I will say however, I was very impressed with the audio files I made, and watching the audio lines in the track, and seeing how each compressor dealt with the sound.
The San June compressed it, so the lines were very even, but they were still on the smaller side, the Boss evened out the sound, but on the larger side.
In both tracks the uneven lines were evened out very well, but each compressor dealt with the audio in its own way.
If I can, I will try and post a picture of the three together, it was very interesting to see.

5 Likes

Thanks for the really in depth and lovely compression research here! I really appreciate the leg work you’re doing for the rest of us.

5 Likes

There are some sound waves of the two compressors and a clean wave in my other pedalboard thread title starting with “unboxing”
It was the same loop I played into a Zoom B1-four.
And recorded three separate tracks in GB and exported individual files, one of each, CLEAN / San June / BOSS.
It’s a good example. Heat pedal was optimized to sound level, and set as similar as possible

I could make more recordings of the same loop with different settings on each pedal, and list settings for each file if anybody is interested to hear more from one pedal or the other

3 Likes