Pedals, what’s a good starting point?

For comparison testing compressors you might want to include one riff using a style with a sharper attack as well - picking would be good, slap even more pronounced. If you were picking on the previous example it was super subtle :slight_smile:

4 Likes

No picking, only plucking here.
I would certainly choose a different riff, and much shorter too.
Probably take the power back, 2 fiefs, one standard, one with a fourth measure fill from the song.
It’s slap.
I just need to remember to Drop D tune. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Ahh, figured, that sounded fingerstyle to me :slight_smile:

To really evaluate a compressor you want to try it with notes that have a large dynamic range in amplitude throughout the note. Basically, something with a sharp attack and less pronounced sustain. Picking works well for this, slap is perfect. Sounds like you have a good plan.

2 Likes

My deal is, not what I am in GB, and hooked the bass up thru my DAI, I still can’t get a good sound out of the AMP sims.
The first recording I did, was on my neighbors computer, and somehow I sort of got the amps off, and it was the Zoom loop that I recorded, not live play.
For live play, I am kind of lost in GB as to how to get it sounding good. My clean signal gets some OD and distortion that I don’t want. the only pedal I have had on when trying to record was my Mini Crybaby Bass Was, and I got it to sound OK when playing, but once I hit record, it all went to hell.
WTF do I have to do to fix this.

Also, IK this is not the thread for it, but real quick, what are the other options I have for DAW right now. Is it Reaper that has a 60 day free trial? What are the other free ones?

Reaper - pro level, free trial that is relatively generous, $60 to buy
Audacity - free, very limited (no MIDI, no virtual instruments, no amp/cab sims, some limited effects, etc), but also simple
Cakewalk Sonar - free, pro-level, requires spammy BandLab membership

and then lots of free/cheap Lite versions of more expensive DAWs like Ableton Live, Pro tools, Cubase, etc

As for the distortion - you should be able to disable the amp and OD in GB. are you accidentally overdriving your DAI? Does it have a clipping indicator?

2 Likes

Its a Zoom U-22. There is output volume and gain, I have played with each. I can tone It down, but not eliminate it. I tried playing with master and gain on the amp sims. I am sure I will figure it out, just have to play with it more.
I will hook up my B-4E of SR400 and try, my Stingrays can be too hot for Gain settings and distort a clean signal on small practice amps, that’s why I got rid of my Orange Crush 20b, and am looking for a larger practice amp at the moment.

1 Like

Ok, I got a decent enough sound to do some recording.
I got a new loop, and recorded the 3 tracks. I am posting them in my
“UNBOXING” thread where the rest are.
If anybody is interested in the compression comparison, feel free to follow the link.

2 Likes

When you get to reverb pedals, don’t skip the Boss RV- Digital Reverb/Delay line. I know you didn’t like the delay pedals you tried, but I love my RV-3; its reverb is ice cold and sounds awesome to me:

It also has these cool reverb + delay modes:

Really flexible pedal.

2 Likes

Yeah, that pedal sounds really good. I just don’t ever see using delay in stuff I would want to be playing for the most part. Not enough to spend big on it.
I do like reverb, and am looking those over. I will certainly take a look at the Boss, thanks for the samples.

2 Likes

@Mac . I want one of these really bad.
Retailers have few, and seem to be up charging. Many are selling them really high cuz of this.
This one looks like a good starting ask, from which a good $50 should come off.

Especially if you can avoid shipping, and picks up. If you went to go pick it up, and I left at the same time, you would get to it at least 2 days before me.

Being that you are closer, you win, have at her…

If you want.
You do, ask @Pam, she kept it, and the Zoom B3, and sold everything else.
Ask @howard err, I know it’s a love hate thing with him, was a tough loss, and if I were Howard Cosell watching and calling the replay, I would say “ tough shot, that kid played a hard game, but it was a devastating loss, nothing left to do here, the on,y honorable thing to do, go completely to plug ins. Al these pedals can only be a painful reminder of this game day massacre. I bet he goes home and gets rid of every
AST pedal, mark my words. That’s the tonight, good evening from Howard Cosell, signing off”

Lol, not sure why I went on that. Rant. Mist. E the new anxiety meds making me a little loopy.

But yeah, not sure where you stand on pedals, and if you know this one or not, but if you are anywhere within that area, within an hour drive, and get it down to $125 to $145, SCORE!!!

And then ai will still be searching :roll_eyes: :cry::sob::weary:

3 Likes

No love/hate, I absolutely only have love for that pedal, but yeah, more like a tragic loss when I destroyed it :slight_smile:

The VT Bass DI is basically my second favorite bass preamp I ever owned, and only second because I liked my EBS ValveDrive so much.

It’s just a fantastic sounding preamp if you want one that adds a lot of color to the tone.

4 Likes

@T_dub @howard you 2 are a bad influence :joy: off to see what I can dig up now :scream:

1 Like

$200 ish here :thinking:
Quite doable in a week or two :flushed:

2 Likes

Never mind. :sweat_smile:
I didn’t check the date before responding. The pitfalls of posting from a tablet.

2 Likes

I don’t consider my VTBass DI to even be a pedal. I’ve sold off all my pedals and I’m done with them. The VTBass DI is a companion to my amp head, nothing more, nothing less. It’s a pre-amp. It lives atop the cab, right next to my Zoom U-44 DAI.

5 Likes

That’s what I love about you Pam.
You so. elliquaintly say things so they are by which you refer to them, and that is the way it is.
It’s like as you move then the world, calling this that, and that this, they apply bow say o walk by, just basking in the glory they were even spoken through your lips.

I don’t even consider it a pedal, It’s part of my sound, duh!

I love my LTD, FJ 400 it’s great, that’s why I would never play a Jazz bass……

Couple examples, (some with twists on words to convey a message), there many others, many others that make you so special.
It’s not about being right, or wrong, it’s about being you….and what I admire about you

Love ya BABG, never change. Be you.

3 Likes

YeH, you know why I added the Hate part. I just didn’t elaborate as to the hate part being sent laothing

3 Likes

Yeah I understood :slight_smile:

Definitelty a tragic loss. I would have eventually sold it anyway but I loved that thing for its brief life.

4 Likes

I almost bought one of these when they were still available new because I thought it would be a cost effective way to give any synth that Moog ladder filter character. The $450 price seemed a bit steep used when this was posted and I balked again. Now it’s up to $600 !!!

6 Likes

All Moog gear is amazing. It’s my favourite synth sound. Too bad its also damn expensive :joy: I own a Moog Werkstatt-01. Might hook it up with my computer and see what kind of weird sounds I can get from it while playing the bass.

2 Likes