Pedals, what’s a good starting point?

My Sweetwater sales engineer clued me in that they have a super exclusive good deal on some Sub25 and Sub37 at the moment. I didn’t try making my ridiculous offer yet, lol.

2 Likes

Haha nice! We both know Sub37 is the way.

1 Like

I’ve thought of getting that just for access to the ladder filter like the plan was with the Mooger Fooger pedal. There’s also a Radio Shack Realistic brand synth that Moog was involved with. I think people have figured that one out too and they aren’t so cheap either.

2 Likes

Not too exclusive, I got that email too.

1 Like

The thing about the Moog, for synths, it isn’t very hard to get close to that sound. Every synth I have owned had some good approximations out of the box.

1 Like

Geesh

I was eyeing that Mooger Fooger but I have been really happy with the Source Audio C4. I could spend a lifetime programing synth bass sounds, have found about 40 or so that I’ve saved in the pedal (out of a possible 128) and lots of other nice people are creating them daily.

2 Likes

I tend to be fairly minimalist with my bass. In contrast, this is my guitar board

For those interested, the Polytune goes into a custom JHS combo (green, upper center) with a Morning Glory overdrive and Pulp’n’Peel compressor (modded Dan Armstrong Orange Squeezer). That goes into the Strymon Deco, Analogman Bad Bob dirty boost, BearFoot Pale Green compressor, MXR Carbon Copy delay, reverb (the TC Electronic HOF has been replaced with a J. Rocket Mr. Moto reverb/tremolo), and then to the Chase Bliss Secret Preamp.
For those doing the math, that’s three overdrives, three compressors, phaser/flanger/chorus, delay, reverb/tremolo, and secret fairy dust booster, all on a fairly compact board powered by a Voodoo Labs Pedal Power II power supply. If you can’t tell, I’m kinda proud of the layout :grin:.
By contrast, my bass board, which will get wired up tomorrow, consists of a Keeley Bassist compressor, Hall of Fame reverb and Oldfield ‘78 clean(ish) boost. That’s it. Everything but the Keeley I had laying around, including the Pedaltrain Nano board and T-Rex Fuel Tank Jr. power supply. I just need to strip the old velcro off, clean it up a little and find the right patch cables. Good to go.

ETA: here’s Dan & Mick of That Pedal Show talking about compression pre and post overdrive. I went with both :grin: options

And the Analogman Bad Bob is my FU pedal. Seriously, if you need a bit more FU in your sound, hit that. It might migrate to my bass board.

4 Likes

I’ll add shots of the bass board when I get it wired up. Again, pretty minimalist - compressor, boost/OD, and reverb.

3 Likes

This is true. Most synths have a Moog preset. :slight_smile: Altho I would say that the Werkstatt-01 sounds pretty unique. It’s a weird little thing. Same deal with the Mooger Fooger. It’s weird that’s why it’s special imo.

2 Likes

To be honest you guitar board would work for bass too. JHS pulp’n’peel, MXR carbon copy, TC HOF, Chase Bliss preamp are all fine choices for bass. Only the distortion pedals might need a blend.

2 Likes

Janek Gwizdala has one of the MoogerFoogers on sale for USD 650… he is also getting rid of a number of other pedals:

https://janekgwizdala.com/store/pedals-and-effects?mc_cid=6cff95749d&mc_eid=5e08486e65

3 Likes

Those Japan OC-2’s would be sweet snags. My favorite octave pedal :slight_smile:

I bet the DOD FX-82s are great; everyone loves the Milk Box so I bet the FX-82 is good too.

Small Clone at that price I would pass on, just get the current Bass Clone. Or try and find an older Clone Theory. SovTek Small Stone is interesting though, and of course the muffs.

3 Likes

Yeah, but, of course, these are already gone :sob: (Note the “sold out” below the pic… don’t know why he doesn’t take them off the site really…)

Well, yeah, not consider any of those… not worth it to get them shipped from the US, unless I wanted to get a “Gwizdala-preowned” pedal of course :grin:

3 Likes

The SovTek Small Stone might be worth it. I have no idea if the Russian Phasers are up to the Russian Muffs though. And yes that was a fun sentence to type :rofl:

3 Likes

:rofl: :joy:

Don’t know about the Russian variety, but I tried my phaser with some Ukrainian muff once…

Uh, I’ll just see myself out now…

5 Likes

:joy::joy::joy:

4 Likes

I had an original Japan “sweet spot serial number” OC2, its gone in favor of the new OC5, as good with more options.

1 Like

Does it glitch as much as the OC-2? Because that weird synthiness and gliching is what makes them so awesome.

2 Likes

The dirt sound is there, glitchiness and all that makes it unique.
But if you mean glitch to equal bad tracking and random noises that don’t belong, then no.
So it is a bit ‘cleaner’, but you know me…

3 Likes