Piano / keyboard lesson recommendations

A recent thread about synth bass coupled with a video I recently watched made me think I’d like to bolster my bass playing with improving my keyboard playing / knowledge.
Does anyone have any online recommendations for learning keyboard in the style of B2B.
I’m happy to pay for the course. Thanks

1 Like

I have not tried it (trying to learn bass is enough to keep me occupied for now!), but this flowkey site says it teaches step by step, which may or may not be the small increments Josh uses. They say “start for free,” but I suspect there is a charge at some point after starting. This app works in cooperation with Yamaha, and if you buy certain Yamaha keyboard products, you can get 3 months of flowkey premium.

I may have found this site from a post in these BassBuzz forums, so apologies if it’s already been mentioned elsewhere.

i was recently looking into this @Barney but I decided I don’t have the time to reaquaint myself with piano (took lessons long ago and can still play very very poorly).
I looked at Simply Piano and Yousician’s version.
IF i was going to go for it, I think I would do Yousician’s course, as the additional settings and options seemed much better.

2 Likes

I recently signed up for Pianote and am liking it so far. Lisa Witt is a good teacher and has a definite passion for piano. In that respect she reminds me of Josh.

3 Likes

https://pianoinaflash.com/ is my go-to for reacquainting myself with piano. It’s not an inexpensive course, but worth the money IMO. Scott Houston is a fun and informative instructor, and the classes are easy to follow.

2 Likes

Check out Pianoforall, I think it’s a lot like B2B. It doesn’t spend too much time on theory or reading music, it give you just enough to understand piano and it gives you the skills to play songs and improvise. The course is provided as ebooks with embedded sound and video so you don’t even have to be online to do it. It’s very inexpensive too, I think it’s $39 right now?

It’s a very practical course, it’s based on rhythm , shapes and playing chords and it tells you stuff like “do this and don’t ask why” :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Dang it, I bit. $39 you can’t go wrong.
It’s been years since I played and going back to the Alfred “teach yourself piano” books with On Top of Old Smokey seems really weak, so, why not. I’ve spent $39 on dopier stuff.

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestions, I’ve bought Pianoforall plus a year of Yousician and it’s still cheaper than most pedals :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I hope Pianoforall works out for you. I bought it but got a refund. I could not understand a word that instructor was saying.

1 Like

He’s Irish, I don’t have a problem understanding him.

6 Likes

I have an amazing microbiologist at work who is in Ireland.
We spent a year together in Brazil.
I learned zero Portugese, but I can now fully understand “Irish Speed Talking”.
To this day I am still ‘translating’ what he says in meetings to folks that cannot follow him.

2 Likes

Yeah his accent doesn’t seem so bad.

2 Likes

I didn’t even notice he had an accent lol but I work with people from all over the world and I speak multiple languages so I’m used to accents. I had to open up a lesson and listen to him and I can barely notice it. It never would have occurred to me that he’d be difficult to understand :slightly_smiling_face:

Several years ago a receptionist at my work phoned me in a bit of a panic and said “there’s a man on the phone and I can’t understand a word he’s saying”. I answered the call and the guy barely had an accent.

2 Likes

It’s not his accent I had a problem with, it was his articulation. He seemed to be mumbling most of the time.
Anyway, all is well if you enjoy his courses. I moved on to something else and I’m good.

2 Likes

The recorded audio isn’t the best, that is for sure.

3 Likes

Ive yet to check out keyboard on yousician, I’m doing bass and guitar currently.

For pianoforall I suggest you have a look at the books “taming the classics” (book 8) and “speed learning” (book 9) before the “end”, they have theory and practice exercises you might find interesting/useful before you’re all done. Depends on how much you like that sort of stuff :slightly_smiling_face: I do appreciate his style of “do stuff and ask questions later” though for people who are completely new to music. Children would never learn anything if we made them start with rules :laughing:

Maybe that was the problem

Great, now his voice is going to bug me when I never even noticed it before :expressionless:

3 Likes

+1

I’ve been very happy with Pianote. Another great forum. Lots of resources. Foundations lessons. Practical insights. Song tutorials. .pdf support for lessons and songs. Speed controllable video engine. Terrific personalities with my favorite style: concise, useful and light. Instructors answer questions and review your playing if you want. Livestreams. Livestream parties.

4 Likes

Definitely Simply Piano app by JoyTunes Simply Piano | Feel the joy of playing piano It is not a style of B2B but it is great and addictive, I play 30 minutes a day.