Piano / keyboard lesson recommendations

Pianote gave me (5) 30 day all access passes to hand out. Let me know if you want one.

4 Likes

I would love one, still on the fence about that one but it is on top of my list.

1 Like

Sent

I would love to do more than just noodle around on my Keylab :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

I started doing yousician piano this week and it’s pretty fun! I did find it kind of odd that they teach you inversions of C and Am first and then Em. I know they do it because it means only changing one note between them and not having to move your hand, but it really makes the structure of chords not so obvious when you get:

E, G, C
E, A, C
E, G, B

In the video that they introduce you to your first chord, C they say that it’s just like Am, which you haven’t learned yet :smiley:

1 Like

I forget which online instructor I saw teaching this but one made a point of starting people out on keys like F#. His rationale was that the scales with lots of black keys are actually physically easier to play, and force you to learn the interval patters a bit sooner. And it gets newbies over the fear of the black keys.

It’s wasn’t obvious to me until then but he’s right, black keys are easier to play, if you are holding your hands correctly anyway.

2 Likes

Playing piano is one of the best things you can do to play bass. All the notes are in front of you and you use this on your fretboard.

The trouble is if you are playing fretless you have to play piano in the dark.

2 Likes

It’s definitely the easiest way to learn music theory, since modern music theory largely evolved around the piano.

1 Like

I would love one if you still have it

2 Likes

You are #4. I have one left.

1 Like

F# pentatonic scale :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I don’t even play fretless in the dark :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

Definitely the easiest pentatonic scale :slight_smile:

DaveT

4d

Pianote gave me (5) 30 day all access passes to hand out. Let me know if you want one.

I’m not a member of Pianote but I am a member of Drumeo and Guitareo, and likewise I have (5) 30 day all access passes for each of them, if anyone is interested.

2 Likes

Thanks for the pass @DaveT . They seem like a nice outfit. I’m in the middle of another course I had purchased, and they were gracious enough to suspend this 30 day pass until April 1.

1 Like

I ended up telling Dave he can (hopefully) give the pass he gave me to someone else (I didn’t use it or sign up, and when I checked, it still went to the 30 day pass page)

I found this on Udemy and it’s only $15 for the next 3 hours or so (less…) but it seems pretty similar to Bass Buzz. Very thoroughly explained, comes with play along tracks (and at three speeds so far, like the slow, medium, and fast workouts, though you’d have to change their speed on your own…), a book of scales and chords and theory. He even gave a “main download” for the course that is everything and organized just as it is on Udemy. You can tell he tailored his videos to Udemy’s platform and didn’t just upload a bunch of videos used elsewhere. The result is a much nicer flow than the other courses I have gotten my money back on.

Learn To Play Piano or Keyboard From Scratch at Udemy

I can’t say he has Josh’s personality or sense of humor XD But it’s not boring.

2 Likes

I still have free 30 day trial passes to Drumeo and Guitareo available if anyone wants one.

Dawned on me, in case anyone taking some kind of lesson wants a free piano on their computer:

Free Sampler that runs as a plugin or stand-alone with your USB MIDI controller:

Free Yamaha C3 sampled piano in Decent Sampler format:
https://www.pianobook.co.uk/packs/yamaha-c3/

I like it well enough (though I use Arturia’s Piano V2). I’ve been making some libraries/presets for Decent Sampler, and it occurred to me to share this just in case.

1 Like

Cool!

Most MIDI controllers should come with a free virtual instrument or two bundled as well, always good to check the bundled software.

Even if you buy it used, writing to the company they will often activate it for you. Arturia is awesome for this.