Piano / keyboard lesson recommendations

Ive yet to check out keyboard on yousician, I’m doing bass and guitar currently.

For pianoforall I suggest you have a look at the books “taming the classics” (book 8) and “speed learning” (book 9) before the “end”, they have theory and practice exercises you might find interesting/useful before you’re all done. Depends on how much you like that sort of stuff :slightly_smiling_face: I do appreciate his style of “do stuff and ask questions later” though for people who are completely new to music. Children would never learn anything if we made them start with rules :laughing:

Maybe that was the problem

Great, now his voice is going to bug me when I never even noticed it before :expressionless:

3 Likes

+1

I’ve been very happy with Pianote. Another great forum. Lots of resources. Foundations lessons. Practical insights. Song tutorials. .pdf support for lessons and songs. Speed controllable video engine. Terrific personalities with my favorite style: concise, useful and light. Instructors answer questions and review your playing if you want. Livestreams. Livestream parties.

4 Likes

Definitely Simply Piano app by JoyTunes Simply Piano | Feel the joy of playing piano It is not a style of B2B but it is great and addictive, I play 30 minutes a day.

Pianote gave me (5) 30 day all access passes to hand out. Let me know if you want one.

4 Likes

I would love one, still on the fence about that one but it is on top of my list.

1 Like

Sent

I would love to do more than just noodle around on my Keylab :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

I started doing yousician piano this week and it’s pretty fun! I did find it kind of odd that they teach you inversions of C and Am first and then Em. I know they do it because it means only changing one note between them and not having to move your hand, but it really makes the structure of chords not so obvious when you get:

E, G, C
E, A, C
E, G, B

In the video that they introduce you to your first chord, C they say that it’s just like Am, which you haven’t learned yet :smiley:

1 Like

I forget which online instructor I saw teaching this but one made a point of starting people out on keys like F#. His rationale was that the scales with lots of black keys are actually physically easier to play, and force you to learn the interval patters a bit sooner. And it gets newbies over the fear of the black keys.

It’s wasn’t obvious to me until then but he’s right, black keys are easier to play, if you are holding your hands correctly anyway.

2 Likes

Playing piano is one of the best things you can do to play bass. All the notes are in front of you and you use this on your fretboard.

The trouble is if you are playing fretless you have to play piano in the dark.

2 Likes

It’s definitely the easiest way to learn music theory, since modern music theory largely evolved around the piano.

1 Like

I would love one if you still have it

2 Likes

You are #4. I have one left.

1 Like

F# pentatonic scale :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I don’t even play fretless in the dark :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

Definitely the easiest pentatonic scale :slight_smile:

DaveT

4d

Pianote gave me (5) 30 day all access passes to hand out. Let me know if you want one.

I’m not a member of Pianote but I am a member of Drumeo and Guitareo, and likewise I have (5) 30 day all access passes for each of them, if anyone is interested.

2 Likes

Thanks for the pass @DaveT . They seem like a nice outfit. I’m in the middle of another course I had purchased, and they were gracious enough to suspend this 30 day pass until April 1.

1 Like