PJ Upgrade shortlist

Yep, @Mike_NL already mentioned that one.
I’m not convinced it’s as nice as the RB-1004 but it does have the distinct advantage of actually being available.

It definitely belongs on the list.
(And I share your love of Ebony fretboards!!!)

1 Like

Another contender, the BC Rich Mockingbird.
Active EMG pickups and 2 band EQ, through body neck, Ebony fretboard, Graphtech nut.

5 Likes

Or you could go for the ‘big bird’ and get a Warwick Buzzard….

Only $9000

1 Like

:thinking:

:nauseated_face:

:face_vomiting:

3 Likes

Very nice! Right at the top end of your price range though, I believe.

2 Likes

Yamaha BBP34?

Or BB734A?

BBP34 is MIJ and the theoretical non-signature top of the BB line, while the BB734A is MII but what many consider the actual top of the line due to being basically the same bass with more features, just not MIJ.

Either will stand up to MIA Fenders. One example:

3 Likes

BB734A doesn’t come in Midnight Blue though :frowning:

1 Like

That is the one bummer - you get two color choices with it, and while attractive, neither are really stand-out. The black looks pretty awesome but is black and matte (which means it will rub shiny.) I have the Dark Coffee Burst one, and it looks quite nice, but in the end is just another dark burst.

The midnight blue on the BBP34 is one of the best blues I have ever seen on a bass, on the other hand. Just gorgeous.

1 Like

If I was in the market for a project bass I would consider this Squier

Nice blue too

3 Likes

Looks great with the dark nickel hardware too.

1 Like

Here’s a decent candidate:

2 Likes

I’ve owned a Rockbass Streamer LX and it’s a good bass, but for his budget he should go for a Teambuilt and get the MIG as it’s a much better bass :slight_smile:

2 Likes

7-8 months’ wait ATM. Unless he finds one in a shop of course.

1 Like

Ahh. Tons in stock here, I’d assumed the same was true in the US. Guess not.

1 Like

No idea. But I had to order mine! (Back in the good old days when it was 3-4 month waiting time).

1 Like

Wow really? Not commonly available in HK? Or was this a masterbuilt and not a teambuilt?

Hmm now that I look, Ikebe’s mostly got Masterbuilts. Not sure about Kurosawa or Ishibashi.

They do have dozens of Masterbuilts though.

Left: Rockbass - available in HK music stores in quite big numbers.
Right: Teambuilt - never in stock anywhere in HK. Order from Germany or get lucky on Reverb.

3 Likes

Nice!

1 Like

Holy Mother of God. Not sure I ever want to click that link again!

3 Likes

I know. The other two stores I mentioned are equally impressive, just don’t have a good online store :slight_smile:

Eternal temptation. I’ve bought two basses from Ikebe and one from Ishibashi so far. Dangerous places.

I’d like to say their shops are less impressive than their page, but…

ITS A TRAP

(they ship to HK btw :slight_smile: )

3 Likes