PJ Upgrade shortlist

It’s the same price as the Duff DLX.
I was surprised!

1 Like

Warwicks do sound great and Marco Hietala plays them so that’s worth some serious bonus points. There are shops with teambuilts in stock but they’re significantly over budget.

I’m in Europe but still not ‘tons’ of them available.

2 Likes

The Rockbass line is in your budget though.

I have both Teambuilt and Rockbass (see pic above). There is a difference in tone, but nothing significant. You could even make an argument that the Rockbass has more mids and so can cut through a mix better.

2 Likes

Rockbasses are lighter too. Mine were like 3.4kg for the 4 and 3.9 for the 5-string.

2 Likes

This could be an option… :+1:

4 Likes

Yeah that’s nice :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Best bridge and nut system for tweaking that you can buy.

3 Likes

Aerodynamically designed tuning pegs.
You can run across the stage faster with this one.

How about a MusicMan

3 Likes

Is that a Caprice?
I haven’t seen one available in Europe.
Looks very nicely finished.

2 Likes

After a few comments on the budget I decided to do a little research.
My original intention was to identify alternatives to the Duff hence the ballpark budget I specified.

I took six of the contenders from my list and checked prices in EU, UK and USA markets. I picked mainstream suppliers where possible, only venturing further afield if a model was unavailable; so Andertons in the UK, Thomann in Europe and Guitar Center & Sweetwater in the US. The US prices don’t include sales tax, EU and UK prices do include taxes. The final two columns represent the US and UK prices converted to euro for ease of comparison.

A few things stand out.
The Aerodyne is significantly more expensive outside the states! :open_mouth:
The ESP RB-1005 looks a stone cold bargain from Thomann.

3 Likes

So, if you bought from Thomann, they would deduce the German VAT, but then you’d have to pay UK VAT (and customs) instead - does that come out about even or would that “hurt” you additionally?

Obviously importing to the EU/UK from US/Asia adds all kinds of extra expenses as well!!

1 Like

I’m in Ireland so in the EU with no additional taxes or duties to pay.

Someone in the UK would have to pay any additional duties plus a handling charge to the courier. The customs duties vary based on country of origin. VAT would be as you stated. So yes, they’d incur extra costs. Retail prices in the UK seem to have increased significantly since they left the EU.

2 Likes

Ah yes, sorry, had you erroneously placed in England :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

2 Likes

Isn’t that a 5 string?

1 Like

Yes it is. (4 string not in stock)
If it was a 4 string I’d have pounced on it mercilessly without thinking.

Bargain = Something you don’t need for a price you can’t resist. :wink:

4 Likes

This is my problem in a nutshell.

2 Likes

I’ve updated the first post with the current contenders.

I eliminated a few based on lack of availability, relative value for money or outright price.

Now for a closer look at Yamaha and Ibanez.

2 Likes

Just had an announcement from Ibanez that they are reintroducing the RGB line, which is a PJ bass with reverse split coils. When they introduced the Soundgear line in the early 90s they were PJs with reverse splits, but changed over to humbuckers after a few years.

The RGB line looks like that, PJs, but only a 300 now. If they had an RGB1000 you might be interested

3 Likes

Pretty but not a PJ. If I was states side I’d seriously consider one of your black and ebony Jaguars for some mild tweaking. Unfortunately they seem to be exclusive to the American market.,

That’s great value, should sell like hot cakes.

1 Like