PJ Upgrade shortlist

A few more worthies

ESP LTD Surveyor ´87

Fender American Performer

5 Likes

Oh I like the Tuxedo look.
Some black bits on the Fender (bridge, knobs, tuners, screws, neck plate)
and wowsa.

2 Likes

Yeah, the ESP already has the black hardware and looks the better for it.
Fender missed a trick there, but easily fixed.

1 Like

Completely forgot about the Surveyor. Was on my shortlist of basses, got the Aerodyne.

It has Seymour Duncan pups and a Gotoh bridge, also a completely black model though I like the white

And I’m a sucker for an ebony fretboard

1 Like

Check out the video I posted of the BB734A vs the American Deluxe :slight_smile:

$750 BB > $1500 MIA Fender, tone-wise. At least to me (and most of the commenters).

2 Likes

The MIM Special Deluxe is right around $1k, as is the Deluxe Active Precision with an EQ.

Besides being built in the US, what exactly do you get for the money? Been wondering myself

3 Likes

I did check it out.
Both sounded good to me to be honest.
Yammie had more growl and the Fender was smoother with more balance between the two pickups.
Judging on sound alone I could go either way (I’d have to hear them with the same strings and level matched to make an informed judgement).
Factor in price and the Yammie is a clear leader.
Then factor in cosmetics and the Fender claws back some of that lead.

2 Likes

Yeah, the one bummer about the BB is you get two color choices, and while both are good, both are kind of unfortunately conservative.

I do prefer the body shape and neck of the BB to the P, but that’s a subjective feel thing and obviously varies a lot by person.

2 Likes

Relative prices seem to vary between markets but over here (EU) there seem to be 3 models in the 1100-1300 bracket.

DLX P Bass Special: MIM, Active EQ
Duff DLX P Bass: MIM, Sig model toys, passive EQ (TBX)
AM Perf P Bass: MIA, Yosemite PUPs, passive EQ (grease bucket)
The Aerodyne comes in at the upper end of that range too.
I haven’t looked at the more upmarket MIA models.

1 Like

What does the BBP34 run for there? If you don’t mind passive only, that’s a fantastic option too. And it’s tough to beat that blue.

The Surveyor '87 is also available in left handed model, in black with black pick guard, headstock, and hardware.

2 Likes

I don’t mind passive at all. :smiley:

I can’t find a BBP34 in stock so not sure of the price.

The BB734A runs €840 in the satin black, so about €250 cheaper than the MIM active EQ fender.

Prices are just crazy over there. No telling what’s cheap or expensive

Wow, in the US the BBP34 is double the price of the BB734A!

1 Like

And it does less :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m still deliberating this choice but it’s coming down between the Duff sig and the rockbass Streamer NT.

The head says Warwick for the neck through construction, hardware, modability and price. (I’m not sold on the aesthetics of the top horn though)

The heart says Fender for the emotive looks and classic heavy rock sound.

I’d be interested to hear opinions from anyone familiar with the Warwick as to how close the mec P pickup gets to the classic p bass sound.

2 Likes

Warwicks sound very different from classic P-basses, at least to me. I had a RockBass Streamer LX4 (also a P/J) with the same pickups. It sounded a lot more modern and growly than a classic P.

1 Like

I’m lately in love with PJs, and I think I found my guy in Yamaha BB.

I’ve tried Duff’s sig MIM Fender, and thats a hefty overprice just for two signatures on headstock. If you are leaning towards fender Id say American is much better choice.

If you are going for that price range check out if you can find older Yamaha BB1024x or 2024x, with those older pickups and try it out, not easy to upgrade, but I dont feel those pups need to be changed ever if they dont die. That BB growl and tone is something no other bass has. Like mix of Stingray and P.

2 Likes

I see what you mean @Growl

1 Like

Love the whole BB line. I really like my 734A.

1 Like