Playing with a glove (or two gloves)!?!

He’s a favourite of mine but not for his bass chops! I love the ambient stuff he did with Dave Sylvian, Plight and Premonition + Flux and Mutability.

I find I don’t have to think too much whilst I play any of Sylvians more ambient work. Not that I’m one of the worlds great thinkers, but space, time and place all become a bit more distant to me. Relax mode engaged it were.
7 Likes

I have those albums as well as all from David Sylvian. Recently have purchased new remastered vinyls. Talking about him, there is great bass player, late Mick Carn who played in Japan and have made some interesting solo atmospheric music.

6 Likes

One of the things that drew me to Japan way back then was the bass sound, fretless in popular music was still uncommon at the time.

4 Likes

Depends a bit on when “way back then” was :grin:There was also Pino Palladino on a fretless for Paul Young!

But… we are getting more and more off topic here, folks :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

5 Likes

My bad. Sorry. :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

UPDATE: and don’t say I didn’t warn ya… :grin:

Here is my gloved hand after some weeks of playing with the glove on (I also played without).

You can see how “stuff” from the strings stained the glove and how two tips are worn thin. You can also see that I don’t use my ring finger nearly as much.

Anyhoo, it is actually quite nice playing with a glove, especially when it is warm and humid, and I can’t hear any influence on the sound, apart from less string scratching and finger scraping :smile:

9 Likes

I bet your bass’s neck is a lot cleaner now, too @joergkutter . . . lol :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Hey - win-win :grin:

6 Likes

I use the a “musician’s practice glove” I got off Amazon in the Winter when its particularly cold (left hand only). I find it does make it more comfortable to play and the material is clingy so it doesn’t get in the way.

It’s good but the material isn’t very durable and will wear through eventually - quite pricey too at $16.99 for one or by Amazon’s logic in ignoring exchange rates, £16.99 for Brits.

5 Likes

I prefer electric string warmers to gloves for cold weather playing. If they’re going to stick a 9 volt in your bass, you might as well use it for something.

4 Likes

I’m going to necro this month dead thread…

So I too saw the bass playing YouTuber that wears a glove and I was curious. After I figured out his need/reason, I wondered if it would work for me. I have constantly sweaty hands. Nothing that I have ever seen a doctor for, but something that is probably an actual condition I could be treated for. I have noticed that moving my fretting hand up and down the neck is quite difficult because my fingers tend to stick due to the sweat. I initially considered putting some powder on the neck/my hands, but I feel like that would eventually cause too many issues with making the bass dirty.

I have been wanting to try some gloves to see if this might help, but I was a bit worried it might impede my playing (especially since I am learning), so I am glad I was able to filter through and get the few bits of actual feedback here :wink:

If anyone has any more to report, or wants to share some reviews on the gloves they tried I would appreciate it.

5 Likes

I’d say go for it! There is nothing to lose and all to gain! Just make sure they are fairly snug. Get the medical cotton gloves that you should be able get at a pharmacy for about 10 bucks for two pairs (or thereabout).

And, oh well, yeah, be prepared to get flamed in here for bringing this up - you saw what they did to me, these heartless, soul-eating fellow bass players :rofl:

5 Likes

Good tip on the medical gloves! I had not thought of that but those are probably perfect!

And I’m not afraid of looking like a fool…if I was, I would never have plucked my first string! I still would have bought a bass…you look cool holding one. But as soon as someone asks me to play something, I lose all cool points.

6 Likes
4 Likes

Thanks, @Mark_D - yeah, I think we had established that, and @brandoncmurphy had alluded to it. Now, I don’t have THAT problem (luckily), but was curious about other “benefits” of playing with a glove when I originally posted my question. My main conclusions are: it reduces friction (on the front and back of the neck), it reduces noises from fingers scraping across the strings, and it doesn’t really interfere with playing otherwise, (and, perhaps, yeah, it looks a bit goofy).

2 Likes

This is what I was mostly concerned about. I wasn’t sure how it would affect my playing, and while less than $10 isn’t too much to be out of pocket if it didn’t work, I was worried it would have a negative impact that I wasn’t experienced enough to notice.

As much as I love the B2B course, I am always nervous I am going to be missing something or unconsciously developing some bad habit that would be easy for someone to call me out on in person. So I tend to be a little hyper vigilant when it comes to me doing something even a little bit different than what @JoshFossgreen says on the videos. I think I will give the glove a try on my fretting hand to help moving without sticking

1 Like

When this question was first posted a few months ago, I gave it a try by using a few gloves I had laying around the house. First, I tried my son’s second baseman’s glove that he had left behind. Then I tried my other son’s hockey glove. Neither of those worked. Then, I tried one of my oven mitts from the kitchen. That didn’t work well either. I finally broke down and ordered some musicians gloves from Amazon (the same ones that Scott Devine uses). I occasionally wear one of the gloves on my fretting hand during practice, but not always. I still haven’t decided whether or not it improves my playing.

4 Likes

I’m not necessarily looking for it to improve my playing so much as hopefully remove a small hurdle that is making my playing more difficult. But at the same time, I want to make sure it is not somehow negatively impacting me learning to play properly.

I hope that makes sense.

3 Likes

@brandoncmurphy have you considered using some of the other gloves I suggested?

2 Likes

I tried the Micky Mouse glove I got at Disney World last year, but I had an issue fretting the G spring because it only has three fingers…That was the only glove I had.

6 Likes